South Alabama guy in need of help.

Bamastan

FNG
Ive got a solo walk in caribou on the Alaska haul road hunt planned for mid Sept. I mostly hunt in snake boots and cheaper insulated boots occasionally around home. I'm looking to buy a pair of good boots to match the hunting up there. I know alot of the big name boot makers make good stuff and I'll have to find the right fit for me. But what models should I look at? Insulated? Non insulated? How stiff? Etc. I dont have problems with my ankles and dont run too cold for the most part. Ive done all day sits in Illinois in the 20's with arctic pro Muck boots and good socks. I will have gaiters. I dont want a hunt of my lifetime to be ruined on a bad guess. Willing to spend $500 or so. And somebody will get a good deal on lightly used boots when I'm done with them lol.

Thanks, Stan

Last edited:
State? terrain? miles planned?

Depends on your preference. I go as light as possible for the weather because I have steady ankles, others won't even leave their tent to piss without a stiff-sole pack boot.

OP
Bamastan

Bamastan

FNG
Alaska haul road. Tundra. Many miles over a 10 day hunt. Temps from 60 to 0 and wind.

Spend good money. Order the top 5 boots on your radar all at once. Compare them in your home side by side and return all but the best fitting set. Watch for heel lift. Any more than 1/8" is bad juju. Keep in mind that any MINOR irritant while you're in your house will cause blisters while you're in AK. As you know, soooo much of this is dependent on your feet and your preference.

A few more things:
- I wouldn't buy an insulated boot
- SOCKS! All I wear is Darntough. Don't underestimate the importance of good socks.
- Silk sock liners. Have at least one pair with you. Put them on at the VERY FIRST sign of irritation
- Moleskin, BandAid HydroSeal Blister Patches, and Leukotape are your friend
- Capitalize on every opportunity to take your boots off and let your feet dry. If you're glassing and frostbite isn't a concern, take your boots off.
- Footbeds can be worth their weight in gold. Take a look at the Lathrop & Sons High Country Synergy footbed.
- If you must, go a half size big rather than a half size small. Your feet will swell.

Good brands in no particular order?
- Lowa
- Scarpa
- Lathrop & Sons
- Zamberlan
- Crispi
- Kenetrek
- Hanwag
- There are others I'm failing to mention

If you're hunting off the haul road, you shouldn't be gaining as much vertical as, say, a sheep hunter, but you will probably do your fair share of walking in muskeg. If you have weak ankles, get something stiffer with solid ankle support. If you have huge ankles that never roll and never give you any trouble, you might be well served by a softer boot. A Scarpa Charmoz, for instance is pretty stiff, but a great boot. A Kenetrek or a Lathrop is going to be somewhere in the middle. I'd avoid anything softer than that, if it were me, especially because you plan to carry a caribou.

Good luck, and buy a wolf tag.

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
Hoffman’s should be on your list……great waterproofing and a number of styles to meet the needs of your feet. My brother just did an Alaska moose hunt for 12-days. He had very dry feet and had no issues w/ his Hoffman’s. You should narrow down your search and call them up on the phone, tell them about your needs (feet type and where and what you will be doing), and they should be able to recommend the ideal pair.

Hoffman’s should be on your list……great waterproofing and a number of styles to meet the needs of your feet. My brother just did an Alaska moose hunt for 12-days. He had very dry feet and had no issues w/ his Hoffman’s. You should narrow down your search and call them up on the phone, tell them about your needs (feet type and where and what you will be doing), and they should be able to recommend the ideal pair.
I've heard good things about Hoffman. No personal experience. It's my belief that in 20 years nobody will be wearing leather boots but linemen and loggers. I won't wear leather boots on overnight hunts anymore. They're heavy and they don't dry half as quickly as synthetics. The tricky part is finding a synthetic boot that fits and feels right. Options are limited. Once you do, it's game over. Barrels have gone carbon, hard drives have gone solid state, cameras have gone mirrorless, currency has gone digital, and boots will go synthetic.

Hoffman and La Sportiva should both go on the list. A lot of great boots out there. I'm serious about ordering a bunch and returning most of them. You really need to find what works for you. Can't overstate that. Lathrop & Sons will also do a consultation.

LightFoot

WKR
Uninsulated, waterproof, good socks, and good gaiters.

I’ve only been to AK twice. First trip I wore out a pair of Salomon GTX (or something). Second trip I wore a pair of Irish Setter boots. They were fine for me.

Going back again I’ll wear my Zamberlan Boro Lite, Thick merino socks, and Kuiu Yukon Gaiters (same gaiters as my first and second trip). I’ve fallen for the Zamberlans.

Crispis, Lowa, or any of the big names will get the job done if you find what fits your foot.

Good luck. Enjoy your hunt.

(Written by another fella from Southern Alabama)

>>>——JAKE——>

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
Love me a synthetic boot too…..but one size doesn’t fit all. And Hoffman does make a few synthetic boots. Each application should be evaluated based on environment and needs……one application (synthetic) may set you up for failure in the tundra vs. the desert vs. high alpine hunt.

Dustin B.

FNG
I personally use the Crispi Colorado. On a scale from 1-5, with 5 being the stiffest, they are a 4 (according to Crispi) which I found to be very versatile. Over 2 years I have worn them on several quail hunts where I was constantly walking through briars, and they are still 100% waterproof. They are not insulated but a heavier sock will help when your feet get cold. I have found Cabela's Instinct and Darn Tough socks to be my personal favorite midweight socks so far. Hopefully this will be helpful! Happy hunting!

flathead#2

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in Baldwin co. AL.
It is hard to find good boots for Western/AK hunts down here.
Just have to order online and plan on returning them till you find the pair.