South Alabama guy in need of some help.

Bamastan

FNG
Ive got a solo walk in haul road hunt planned for mid Sept. I mostly hunt in snake boots and cheaper insulated boots occasionally around home. I'm looking to buy a pair of good boots to match the hunting up there. I know alot of the big name boot makers make good stuff and I'll have to find the right fit for me. But what models should I look at? Insulated? Non insulated? How stiff? Etc. I dont have problems with my ankles and dont run too cold for the most part. Ive done all day sits in Illinois in the 20's with arctic pro Muck boots and good socks. I will have gaiters. I dont want a hunt of my lifetime to be ruined on a bad guess. Willing to spend $500 or so. And somebody will get a good deal on lightly used boots when I'm done with them lol.

Thanks, Stan

mcseal2

WKR
I wasn't on the Haul road, but I really liked my Crispi Hiland Pro boots on our caribou hunt. The built in gaiters saved me a lot of steps and kept my feet dry. The other guys with regular boots and gaiters were going around water I just went through. I do need good ankle support though, Muck boots would not be an option for me in tundra.

I wouldn't worry much about insulation. Those boots I had were 200 gram I think. You will be active and your feet will sweat and get cold with insulation or just get cold from the temp without. I don't think you get around cold feet. Extra dry socks in the pack to change into is the best advice I can give you. I like the tall Darn Tough socks for hunting in the colder temps.

Scottf270

WKR
Never done the hunt your talking about but stocking foot pants and wading boots might be an option if it's really wet and soggy.

Legend

WKR
Ive got a solo walk in haul road hunt planned for mid Sept. I mostly hunt in snake boots and cheaper insulated boots occasionally around home. I'm looking to buy a pair of good boots to match the hunting up there. I know alot of the big name boot makers make good stuff and I'll have to find the right fit for me. But what models should I look at? Insulated? Non insulated? How stiff? Etc. I dont have problems with my ankles and dont run too cold for the most part. Ive done all day sits in Illinois in the 20's with arctic pro Muck boots and good socks. I will have gaiters. I dont want a hunt of my lifetime to be ruined on a bad guess. Willing to spend $500 or so. And somebody will get a good deal on lightly used boots when I'm done with them lol.

Thanks, Stan
Well it depends. Location? Time of year?

If you are south you may be on good ground and any good boot will work.

If you are on true tundra it can be very wet..more than hiking boot kind of wet.

I lived on the tundra for 3 months. I wore ankle fit waders every day and nothing else. And I walked my ass off for my job. I am probably to old to wear those waders for that many miles now.

In summary it's either dry or wet...take boots to accommodate both and leave what you don't use in the truck.