South Dakota

Weldor

WKR
Anyone have info on cost of living, winters etc. I am thinking about moving up there .But not sure about the winters after living in the Desert for 40+ years. Retired Welder.

Thanks in advance.

South Dakota is kinda similar to Nebraska in geography/land use. The eastern third(ish) is pretty intensive ag and the western 2/3(ish) transitions to range and ranch land. The far west by Rapid City and Spearfish is really cool with rolling and steep areas with lots of timber. Sporting opportunities are incredible with good fishing in East Central lakes and the central and upper Missouri river system. Then of course some of the best pheasant hunting on the planet, big whitetails, and muleys/antelope as you head west. There is excellent predator and varmint hunting as well with prairie dogs and coyotes common targets.

The state is reliably red as well, and once you get west of Sioux Falls the population starts to decrease dramatically. According to Google, taxes are pretty favorable: "South Dakota does not have an individual income tax. South Dakota also does not have a corporate income tax. South Dakota has a 4.50 percent state sales tax rate, a max local sales tax rate of 4.50 percent, and an average combined state and local sales tax rate of 6.40 percent."

I've not looked at land prices, but there may be opportunities for some savings in the western half compared to WY or MT.

Winter can be a real @itch in the Dakotas and those polar vortexes that drop down from the arctic can bring below zero and high winds. They reach down into Western Iowa where I'm at, but it can get much colder in the Dakotas.

Mt Al

WKR
I don't live there but have close friends that do, around Spearfish and Rapid City. According to them, there will be horrific but short term periods of heavy snow and stupid cold. But better overall than Montana, Fargo ND-like areas. Western SD is one of the first places I'd look if I was exiting Montana. Birds (world class), predators, right near MT and WY if you get non resident tags.

Anyone have info on cost of living, winters etc. I am thinking about moving up there .But not sure about the winters after living in the Desert for 40+ years. Retired Welder.

Thanks in advance.
There’s a decent amount of people moving to both the Dakota’s to retire and start families.

Affordable compared to the west, great hunting/fishing across the state, being a landowner is within reach, low taxes and nice people.

I’m 21 and am considering setting down roots in one of those states.

Probably my favorite Midwest states, only have had good times driving through.

As for the winters, they’re bad but provide some great waterfowl/pheasant hunting opportunities and ice fishing.

KurtR

WKR
Winters are colder than if hell froze over and summers are hotter than hell with swarms of west Nile carrying mosquitoes and no shortage of rattle snakes west river.

Driving 100 miles to go to a Walmart is normal.

It’s ok here been for 44 years and I don’t see a scenario I leave.

OP
Weldor

Weldor

WKR
Winters sound like our summers, just have to deal with it. Thanks guys for all the info.