Southern Utah Any Bull Elk

JJTips

FNG
FNG here. I'm from Nevada and hunted this state for the past 4 years. Been thinking of trying my luck with the Utah OTC tag this year since ; I got skunked everywhere else. Been looking at the success trends on GoHunt which aren't great, I get it, it's on OTC tag so I'll have to work hard to find them. Any suggestions on hunting the southern part of Utah? Been doing research everywhere but info is limited. Going to take advantage of this 4th of July weekend to scout some areas, but I'm sure they might not be there come October.

Westhunt

FNG
There are pockets of elk but it's a really tough hunt, if you get an archery tag you can hunt cows to. But there are areas that border limited entry units and you can occasionally find a big bull that crosses on to the general unit.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
J

JJTips

FNG
There are pockets of elk but it's a really tough hunt, if you get an archery tag you can hunt cows to. But there are areas that border limited entry units and you can occasionally find a big bull that crosses on to the general unit.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Thats what I figured. Going to give the old rifle a try this year. Archery dates don't work for me this season. Not looking for a big bull per se, but something decent.

UThunter6

FNG
Utah OTC can be very tough, and the southern units typically don’t have a ton of elk. There will be a lot of pressure on the public land. But it can be done!
The northern units tend to hold more elk.

GatorMike

FNG
FNG here. I'm from Nevada and hunted this state for the past 4 years. Been thinking of trying my luck with the Utah OTC tag this year since ; I got skunked everywhere else. Been looking at the success trends on GoHunt which aren't great, I get it, it's on OTC tag so I'll have to work hard to find them. Any suggestions on hunting the southern part of Utah? Been doing research everywhere but info is limited. Going to take advantage of this 4th of July weekend to scout some areas, but I'm sure they might not be there come October.
Hunted the Wasatch area and it is a complete waste of time...literally hundreds of campers full of hunters...saw lots of elk sign at high elevation...but never saw an actual elk. way too much hunting pressure on public land and the only way you will get an elk is pure luck. The guy I hunted with lived there his whole life and even he said to put in for other units and the public area is a waste

GatorMike

FNG
Any luck?
If you can get Big Bull Tag it "might" be worth it on rifle....with open bull (spike or cow)...dont waste the time. I can only speak for Wasatch area...ive heard other areas are better with less pressure.