Southern WY Blue Grouse

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

I relocated this year to Wyoming, back home in Wisconsin i love chasing pheasants and ruffed grouse to a lesser extent.

I’m looking forward to trying something new and particularly excited to chase some blue grouse in September, anyone got any articles or intel on elevations and habitat use over time or anything like that?

I’ve come across some already but I know their diet will change as the season comes on

chicoredneck

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not familiar with WY, but here where we hunt them in September the grouse seem to be at both high and low elevations. The best hunting around here is early in the season along creek bottoms and the edges of mixed vegetation where there is berries and/or greenery that they are foraging on.

jayhawk

WKR
I know the Snowys have them in the southern part of the state. I seem to run into them a lot while elk hunting/scouting. 8k-10k ft usually in broken country with steep terrain, water, grasses, berries, etc.

yfarm

WKR
Funny, hunted that area last year for a week, saw one grouse, after the hunt went to visit some old friends in western central Co and saw innumerable grouse standing on the ground as I drove by 10 ft away. Was in mature pine forest in both areas.