Southern WY elk herd status

For those of you that have been hunting south central WY the past few years, how did this past fall compare to previous years considering the bad winter last year? One guy who hunts private saw one elk, a drastic reduction from years past. is this a one-off or consistent with other observations?

brooketrt

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion the winter hit a lot harder than initially anticipated, just happens unfortunately but it’s going to take a little while for them to come back. Not as severe as mule deer but not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
I was in colorado, but not far from south central wyoming. Tough to say because weather was horrible - no snow and warm. I saw elk where I usually see elk, but I saw like 20 percent or less than the past few years, but that was better than I expected with the weather.

Jaquomo

WKR
I spent three weeks hunting that whole area. Moved camp several times. Way fewer elk than normal, but the bowhunting pressure everywhere from WY residents was unbelievable. Last time I hunted that area was 2020, and the numbers of elk were way down, resident hunters way up. I don't blame them and not complaining, just accepting it is how it is.

That said, I called in 6 the first week, passed two slam dunks, had a shooter screaming at me at 8 yards but couldn't draw. After that the pressure ratcheted up, but elk weren't in the usual places where they typically go. I know several others who hunted this area and have hunted it several time before. All reported the same thing. Except in wilderness areas where us wretched NRs are forbidden. Lots of bugling and residents getting elk in there.

Jaquomo

WKR
BTW, the young biologist told me she didn't see any real winterkill when she flew it in January and February. I reminded her that much of the problem happened in March and April. She told me I just needed to look harder. Locals told me the die-off was pretty bad in some areas.

go_deep

WKR
Less elk for sure, I spent October 6th thru the 25th on the mountain. The one thing not mentioned is the extended cow seasons in some hunt areas too. G&F wants more dead elk, and they're getting them one way or another.

wytx

WKR
Only certain areas had winterkill, East side.
Plenty of elk in the rest of the area.

With no big snow during season they were scattered all over the NF.

No issues with elk in most of the say Snowy Range.
Go east where the winter was brutal and yes lower numbers.
For some areas , elk come up from Colorado and where they had significant winterkill, yes fewer elk migrated up.
For the most part we are fine as far as elk.

KP20129

FNG
I saw/ heard way more elk in 2019 than I did in 2023. Also had more hunting pressure in 2023. I would like to blame my lack of success this last year on winter kill but I have no idea if that's true. Tough hunt for sure though.

rjw4

FNG
So area 7 superherds are still pillaging the cattle ranchers?
Yes, you 100% have to keep your head on a swivel driving in that country or you are likely to end up with a new hood ornament. When I was there hunting it looked like herds of ants crawling over every open mountain side.