Spearfishing Oregon

I'm a California resident and I'm going to be in the Tillamook area next May, I'm looking to spearfish a day or 2 while up there. Has anyone got experience spearfishing Oregon? I'm not looking for your honey hole (or maybe I am), just info on fish, weather in May, easiest way to get licensed, etc.

Appreciate any input! 🙏

slvrslngr

WKR
Fish will be black rockfish, lingcod, greenling, cabezon. Check the regs to be sure lingcod are open.
Weather will be 🤷‍♂️. It could be storming like crazy or bluebird and flat.
Easiest way to get licensed, online or at Tillamook Sporting Goods.
The closest place to go is along the north jetty, but unless the water is super flat, you’ll need to be super careful, the current can be crazy.

Oregon

WKR
The jetties at slack tide are popular.
Most spearfisherman I know use a boat to access areas around the Capes south of Tmook.

The Guide

WKR
I'm a California resident and I'm going to be in the Tillamook area next May, I'm looking to spearfish a day or 2 while up there. Has anyone got experience spearfishing Oregon? I'm not looking for your honey hole (or maybe I am), just info on fish, weather in May, easiest way to get licensed, etc.

Appreciate any input! 🙏
You will probably find some dang cold water in May on the northern Oregon coast. Most rock structure in that area is either jetty or offshore. Not much kelp. Basic rockfish will be the main fish seen. Weather in May can be extremely variable but expect cool temps and rain. You can buy your license online and don't need a paper copy. Look for the app called "MyODFW" and that will be your way to buy and store your license. You can buy a single day license for around $20 or longer term if you are fishing multiple days.

Jay