Speer Boat Tail Soft Point Bullets

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
Speer has a line of Boat Tail bullets with a soft point. I’m guessing they are similar to the Sierra Game Kings, but have never tried them. Anyone have experience with them on animals? Was looking at the 100gr .243 bullets for plinking, deer and coyotes as my local shop has them at a decent price.

OP
R

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve heard they were soft, wondered how they compare to the TMK at closer ranges. Assume it would be similar in rapid expansion/fragmenting.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
Not as rapid expansion as the tmk or perhaps not as much fragmentation. But I'm basing that off of the btsp in .264, .277, .284 and .308 as well as not having much first hand tmk experience on game. They certainly are soft though.
They do kill and I'd keep more Speer on hand if they were as available as Hornady.

Vern400

WKR
I shot them for years but in 308 at 2800 fps. They hit hard and do tend to lose weight if you hit a big bone on entry. Whitetails. I'd be nervous at high velocity.

I switched over to sgk's 15 years ago because they're more consistent in weight and more accurate. Might not be a consideration because right now it's really hard getting some Sierra bullets.

Speers are very useful but not great.

BPAZ223

FNG
It's a soft point hunting bullet no different than a whole bunch of others and will kill coyotes and deer just fine. The gameking is much more accurate like a sierra match.