spike camping meal plan

nebhunt

WKR
No sure if this is the correct area to ask. If not sorry about that. Anyway, I'm going to spike camp for the elk archery season and was wondering what everyone else has on their meal planner? Thinking mountain house meals, clif bars, instant oatmeal and such.

Dinner
Ramen with summer sausage and cheddar
Alternate with Mountain house

Lunch - Bagels sandwiches- alternate
-pepperoni, mozzarella, tomato sauce
-tuna(packet)mayo, mustard, colby jack
-chicken(packet), parm, white sauce

Breakfast
Bagels with cream cheese and bacon jerky

To many snacks to list. I need variety out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just don't take any food at all. Just water. That will give yourself some extra motivation to "Kill" something so you can actually eat.

I never eat as much in spike camp as I think I will. I usually just snack during the day while I'm hunting.

But you're on the right track. I usually start my day with instant oatmeal with walnuts and raisins thrown in. Then mid-day it's a Clif bar, then for lunch it's a "SPAMburger" (a spam single serving that's vaccum sealed, on a pita-bread bun) with some trail mix, M&M's or dried fruit. Then more snacks (usually trail mix or jerky) until my MH for supper. I only drink water or instant (Starbucks Via) coffee when I am hunting. The Starbucks Via is the only instant that tastes good enough to me to drink black, so it saves me from packing sugar or creamers.

Those Spam singles changed my hunting a few years ago. I actually look forward to my spamburgers for lunch these days. They are so easy and mess-free and they actually fill you up.

Everything I mentioned generates nearly zero trash and even after 3-4 days you can put all your trash in a quart-sized zip lock.

Savage99

WKR
Dinner
Ramen with summer sausage and cheddar
Alternate with Mountain house

Lunch - Bagels sandwiches- alternate
-pepperoni, mozzarella, tomato sauce
-tuna(packet)mayo, mustard, colby jack
-chicken(packet), parm, white sauce

Breakfast
Bagels with cream cheese and bacon jerky

To many snacks to list. I need variety out there.

Wait.. what. Is. Bacon. Jerky??!

Breakfast is pretty quick and easy. I boil a pot of water for some instant oatmeal and a cup of Starbucks via instant coffee. I follow it up with a mid morning granola bar with some trail mix and beef jerky.
Lunch consists of a bagel with peanut butter, honey, & salami vacuum sealed. Wash it down with a crystal light packet in my water.
I will typically finish up my beef jerky and trail mix, from the morning, late afternoon which holds me over until a mountain house after I get back to camp. I usually pack a small bottle of Tabasco sauce to spice up my MH. Couldn’t tell you exactly where I’m at for calories but I typically feel like I am getting enough energy from what I eat. I break down my food (trail mix, beef jerky, granola bars) into daily bags so I don’t over/under eat. A better visual and helpful system. If I am hunting from the truck my food options go up. This is my system when backpacking in.

GregB

WKR

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
Typically granola bars of some sort and/or oatmeal for breakfast. I am not a coffee drinker, so just water and maybe mix in a vitamin fortified powder flavoring and /or tea bags. I take individual packets of the powder flavoring mix. Trail mix, jerky for snacks. For lunch I like to use the thin round flat breads and spread on peanut butter, jelly or honey. I take the small individual packets of jelly, peanut butter and honey like you would find on a restaurant table. The round flat bread is great because you don't have to worry about it getting all smashed in your pack and once I spread the peanut butter etc., on to it I just roll it up and enjoy. Instant chicken noodle soup packets for a hot drink at lunch or dinner are great too. Mountain house meals for dinner, (usually the 2 serving size packets.

Wait.. what. Is. Bacon. Jerky??!

Dehydrated cooked bacon, ha, Walmart jerky section. The maple one is the shit!

They also have the precooked bacon over by the deli meat, not as good.

Last edited:

Savage99

WKR
Dehydrated cooked bacon, Walmart jerky section. The maple one is the shit!

They also have the precooked bacon over by the deli meat, not as good.

I’m going to have to leave work today for an “emergency” trip to wallyworld...

New2elk

FNG
Make individual snack bags for every day of your with quart sized zip loc bags. That way you can just grab and go

Don't over think it. Snicker Bars, Ramen noodles, granola bars, mixed nuts, etc. The general goal is to look for high calories per ounce when carrying food on your back, but don't feel like you have to be spending lots of money on specialized food. Pack 2-3,000 calories per day and adjust as needed. I've hunted with guys that are spending $40+ per day on food and I've also hunted with guys that survive on packages of tuna and fruit snacks.

Poser

WKR
I try and make both my macro intake as well my food choice closely reflect what and how I eat at home on a daily basis. If you suddenly have a big drop in your fat as well as fiber intake (which is easy to do with lightweight foods) and a huge spike in your carb intake (which is also easy to do), for example, then you might find yourself in a world of Hurt.