Sportsman Friendly Credit Cards

wyodan

WKR
I had it with Capital One and Cabelas today, and went and cancelled my credit card. That was the only card I had. What's a good option for a replacement credit card?

krohboy

WKR
Ducks Unlimited is hard to beat, 5% back on Gas at any station and 5% back on sporting goods. Also a portion goes to conservation. It's my personal everyday card.

ChrisA

WKR
I had it with Capital One and Cabelas today, and went and cancelled my credit card. That was the only card I had. What's a good option for a replacement credit card?
In the same boat, have a bunch of bucks to burn but can't decide on what as everything I want I can get so much cheaper elsewhere. So I keep using the thing. Have a Scheels card but they don't have the greatest incentives.

Chris

NoWiser

WKR
A travel card with 2% on all purchases was the best decision I made. I always have enough to send my wife and kids to Florida in the fall when I’m hunting and to do a family vacation each spring. Without that it would be tough to convince her that I need a 10 day hunt each year out west.

Trial153

WKR
Chase Sapphire rewards
Amex Platinum or Everyday blue card
BOA cash rewards

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
I bank with BECU out of Seattle, and I consider them sportsmen friendly because I can buy stuff with their Rewards Visa then use cash back to pay for it. They are the best bank I’ve ever worked with, period.

I bank with BECU out of Seattle, and I consider them sportsmen friendly because I can buy stuff with their Rewards Visa then use cash back to pay for it. They are the best bank I’ve ever worked with, period.

And they don’t pay any federal taxes. They use their “tax savings” to lobby Congress to keep it that way but I digress. Credit union abuse of membership laws gets me fired up.

I have a Costco card that gives the most cash back but I can’t say they are sportsmen friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backyard

WKR
I had the same experience right around X-mas last year. All but ruined my gift giving. I still have points to burn with Crapella's, don't even want to deal with them again.
So I went with Chase Freedom Unlimited, I get points/purchase and 1.5% cash back on every purchase.
I'm sure I can buy a gun or pay for a hunting trip if I want (they really could care care less what I spend my money on), and I'm fairly certain that the plastic card is made right here in the USA.
But the points and cash back is what drew me. So far, so good.

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Navy Fed has a couple of different cards that may fit you (if you qualify for membership). Between cash back and travel rewards they do a pretty good job. Also seem sportsman friendly and apparently advertise on the Meateater podcast.

ODB

WKR
And they don’t pay any federal taxes. They use their “tax savings” to lobby Congress to keep it that way but I digress. Credit union abuse of membership laws gets me fired up.

I have a Costco card that gives the most cash back but I can’t say they are sportsmen friendly.

Well, if you think the for-profit banks don’t exert a greater influence on politicians you might want to redirect your outrage.

No one said credit unions are perfect entities, but given the bullshit pulled by Wells Fargo a few years ago and the behaviour of banks during the sub-prime lending debacle, I’ll take a credit union every time.

As for Costco, no other entity (in my opinion) has negatively impacted the value of food.

Outrage is an overstatement. I didn’t use that term. More like people don’t understand that credit unions don’t pay state or local taxes.

But we do need options in the finance space that are pro hunting.

Problem is they are all backed by the large banks. Which bank is most hunter friendly?

Trial153

WKR
The most pro hunter friendly CC and financing decisions are the ones that put you in the best position to spend on, participate in and promote hunting. Collectively our individual actions have far more weight then a banks position.

Trial153

WKR
Yea that great till your debit card gets hacked and you find yourself charged with three airline tickets to Malaysia

muddydogs

WKR
Use Cash and don't give anything to any of the Big Banks. Only way to go.

Na I much prefer to use the CC company's cash all month then pay the bill. Once upon a time using cash was great but today it just doesn't work with online ordering and if you say purchase local I will say I would if local had anything I wanted or the prices weren't totally out of line with online prices.

Drives me crazy when road tripping and the cars are stacked up 3 deep at the gas pump because someone can't figure out that you need to have a CC to get gas anymore, they pull up to the pump, stroll inside, take a pee, stand in line for 5 plus minutes waiting there turn then stroll back to the pump to finally pump there gas.

muddydogs

WKR
Yea that great till your debit card gets hacked and you find yourself charged with three airline tickets to Malaysia

Thats why you don't use your debit card for anything except Winco and Smiths since they don't take CC's anymore. If a CC gets hacked you have time to fight with the CC company but if your debit card gets hacked and the bank doesn't want to help your account balance takes the hit.

ODB

WKR
Thats why you don't use your debit card for anything except Winco and Smiths since they don't take CC's anymore. If a CC gets hacked you have time to fight with the CC company but if your debit card gets hacked and the bank doesn't want to help your account balance takes the hit.

Yup. Other ways to do this. We rarely use the debit card at POS, (generally everything is cash)and the account is kept at bare bones $$. The rest of our money is kept in accounts that don’t have a card. Been several times I’ve been standing in line transferring 50$ to the debit account to cover my purchase. Also do the same for credit cards. We have one card for domestic (around home) purchases and another when we travel, whether other states or international.

We are anal rententive to say the least...

NoWiser

WKR
Use Cash and don't give anything to any of the Big Banks. Only way to go.

You are missing out. My wife and I pay for every single thing we can on a credit card, including daycare for the kiddos. I use it for work as well. We have never NOT paid off the entire balance at the end of the month.

Our card has paid for flights for our family twice a year for the last 4 years as well as an upcoming trip to Kodiak for my dad and I and we are still sitting on almost $4k worth of points to use.

ODB

WKR
You are missing out. My wife and I pay for every single thing we can on a credit card, including daycare for the kiddos. I use it for work as well. We have never NOT paid off the entire balance at the end of the month.

Our card has paid for flights for our family twice a year for the last 4 years as well as an upcoming trip to Kodiak for my dad and I and we are still sitting on almost $4k worth of points to use.

Unfortunately you are not the norm. Most don’t have the discipline.

Trial153

WKR
I cant imagine for going convenience and savings of using a credit card.