Spot and Stalk: Best Place To Keep Your Quiver?

Joe Schroeder

ALPS OutdoorZ
Rokslide Sponsor
Bow mounted? Lashed onto your pack? Rigged to your waist belt? There’s lots of options, but which one is best?

I've hunted and practiced with a bow mounted quiver for so long now it's muscle memory. Spot and stalk for sure, but for me even in a tree stand. Just a couple of weeks ago I got a rare follow-up shot on a buck out of tree stand. I had the second arrow ready extremely fast. I know a lot of guys take their quiver off but I think I would have been frantically searching for another arrow if it was anywhere else.

I use a Tightspot 3-arrow, so it's pretty easy to offset that weight.

I've come to the conclusion that there is no good (or perfect) place to put it. Quivalizers are a pain when crawling, especially in thick brush. Sort of large and hard to maneuver in tight spots. I absolutely despise shooting with a quiver on the bow. Bows are for shooting, not storing arrows so I don't like compromising shootability to store arrows. Hip quivers suck to crawl around with. Back quivers are slow to access.
Currently my solution is to take it off the bow when I get close. Not great for follow up shots but I hate that solution the least.

Aswob5

FNG
On the side of the bow. I just couldn't see any good reason to put it on my pack. Sometimes those seconds count. Unfortunately on my last muley I didn't make the best shot and had to keep on him in a mile and a quarter of crp to get the final shot. Dumped my pack back at the first shot and never thought twice about wanting to put it on my pack. Just practice with it on and loaded with arrows. In my opinion it just makes sense to hunt that way

Last edited:

Tilzbow

WKR
Bow mounted quiver, 2-piece 5 arrow Tight Spot. I tried hip quivers and cat quivers for a few years each and went back to bow mounted quivers on both my traditional and compound bows.

WCB

WKR
I'd say on the bow. Absolutely obnoxious on your hip or leg/whatever for crawling or rolling around while sneaking in.

I used to strap it to a day pack. It was a lumbar type pack. I could strap it where the fletchings were literally just resting against my right shoulder blade. When I crawled they laid flat against my back and I could reach back above my right hip and get an arrow out quick.....Problem is sometimes you want to drop your pack but still have to bring extra arrows...etc.

I have a 2 pc quiver on 1 bow and a G5 quick detach on another bow. I honestly like the G5 better because I can take off my quiver and stash it in the back seat or somewhere and not have to take all 6 arrows out to put my bow in the case.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
The only option is on the bow, both for compound and trad bows. Makes zero sense to take it off wether tree stand hunting or spot and stalking. Plus on recurves and longbows you tune the bows with the quivers on, doesn’t matter with the compounds.

Reactions: CMF

Beendare

WKR
A buddy Kirk tried that Chuck Adams quiver years ago. For those unfamiliar it mounts to your belt and hangs down much like a range quiver.

He was always grabbing it to control it, arrows hanging up on stuff and popping loose- in other words, a total PITA. Everyone I know uses bow mount

CMF

WKR
I agree with the bow-mounted guys, I can't imagine any other way.
The new fixed quiver on the V3X pushed me over the edge to get a new bow after having a DXT for 13 years. The quiver is so tight to the bow that the arrows are probably less than 1/4" from the riser. It has no vibration and I don't need a side bar to balance the bow. way better than the tight spot that I had on dxt.
I watched a guy on youtube stalking around for elk with his quiver hanging off his waist belt, and I just don't see how it doesn't snag brush all the time. I haven't even been running a stab on the front of my bow cause I can't stand it grabbing limbs and vines.
Just tune with it, practice with it, kill with it... I'm not sure how it interferes or bothers some
I want to be ready as quickly as possible for a follow-up shot, which I've taken many times over the years.

Attatched on the bow. Hard to forget it or leave it anywhere and easy to access arrows when it is time to "let 'em fly to make them die".

Generally a bow quiver. I have had removable quivers for hunting up in tripods, ladder stands. The purpose there was to reduce the amount of overall movement. When stand hunting I generally always remove a second arrow and have it placed where it ready to quickly pick up for a follow up shot. However on Spot and Stalk always a bow quiver.

chasewild

WKR
I used to be in the camp where I'd try to take it off, but after this year I am done with that shit. So many times, I got caught taking it off when a few seconds made the difference, or when I needed follow up shot, and I left it 2 steps behind because the animal moved....SO done. And, actually, new bows seem to be so much more streamlined (I shoot a 2014 Energy 35) that it's a reason to upgrade.

Hoyt Rx-8 ultra mmmmmm :love:

For spot and stalk , and even whitetail tree stand saddle hunting I just prefer to keep my quiver attached at all times.

I really think this comes down to personal preference I really suggest people try a season both ways and determine what's best for you .

If you really don't like the quiver on the bow while stalking a nice hip quiver is ideal for me.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

On the bow

I can’t imagine any other place to keep your arrows that would allow for less movement to knick an arrow for a shot.

Keeping them anywhere else is adding a lot more movement to get ready for a shot.