Spotter help

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Need some help with those with experience. @gr8fuldoug (you sell em), @B_Reynolds_AK (you run a lot of Kowa it seems like), and anyone else!

Kowa 773 or Swaro ATC.

I don't use a spotter for deer/elk. But helping some friends next couple years with goat tags, and getting more into longer range observation. My daughter is super into bird viewing.

I know:
- will only have this (1) spotter
- I primarily hunt via backpack, multi-day most of season.
- I hate carrying heavy stuff, most of my gear would be "ultralight."
- longer viewing/observation time favors the Kowa.
- there isn't really a wrong answer.

Looking for some input from the masses to get me out of debate paralysis. I know the ATC is no problem to pack all of the time, and that I'd end up leaving the 773 sometimes. 773 really seems to be a be all end all kind of one and done scope. So.....what's the right play here? ATS 65 doesn't seem like enough of a bump over the ATC to justify the cost. 773 has some extremely good pricing at the moment.....

THANKS!

Need some help with those with experience. @gr8fuldoug (you sell em), @B_Reynolds_AK (you run a lot of Kowa it seems like), and anyone else!

Kowa 773 or Swaro ATC.

I don't use a spotter for deer/elk. But helping some friends next couple years with goat tags, and getting more into longer range observation. My daughter is super into bird viewing.

I know:
- will only have this (1) spotter
- I primarily hunt via backpack, multi-day most of season.
- I hate carrying heavy stuff, most of my gear would be "ultralight."
- longer viewing/observation time favors the Kowa.
- there isn't really a wrong answer.

Looking for some input from the masses to get me out of debate paralysis. I know the ATC is no problem to pack all of the time, and that I'd end up leaving the 773 sometimes. 773 really seems to be a be all end all kind of one and done scope. So.....what's the right play here? ATS 65 doesn't seem like enough of a bump over the ATC to justify the cost. 773 has some extremely good pricing at the moment.....

THANKS!
I haven’t tried the ATC, but would like to. It would make a great goat scope I would imagine. I have the Kowa 55, had the 77 and the 88. The 77 is my favorite out of all of them. Great combination of performance and weight. However If I was in your place, and I am.. I’d wait a week or two and see what Kowa has in store for their European birding/optic shows.

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I haven’t tried the ATC, but would like to. It would make a great goat scope I would imagine. I have the Kowa 55, had the 77 and the 88. The 77 is my favorite out of all of them. Great combination of performance and weight. However If I was in your place, and I am.. I’d wait a week or two and see what Kowa has in store for their European birding/optic shows.
I talked to camera land today and they were thinking IF there was a replacement that would come out at SHOT. I hope you’re right though.

77 series is being discontinued.

I talked to camera land today and they were thinking IF there was a replacement that would come out at SHOT. I hope you’re right though.

77 series is being discontinued.
Camera Land is not going to give away any confidential information.
Something this month is coming.
My guess is it will be at the Global Birdfair in the UK on July 14th. A major optics and birding company would not release a new product at SHOT show. That is not their primary target audience.

Last edited:

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Camera Land is not going to give away any confidential information.
Something this month is coming.
We honor all confidentiality agreements with all brands. What I will say is grab a Kowa TSN-77 Series while inventory is still available. I say with confidence that you cannot find a better spotter under $2,000.

As soon as there is something to announce, with Kowa or any other brand, we will always let you know