Spotting scope phone adapter

Wildstreak

Lil-Rokslider
I know of 3 brands, Phone Skope, Ollin and Magview. Which of these do y’all prefer and why? Is one more durable than the other? Better quality? Easier to use in the back country?

I know nothing about these. Thanks in advance.

I bought the magview one and honestly not super impressed for the following two reasons:

- The magnetic plate prevents wireless charging on your phone

- Trying to find the sweet spot on my ATC when it’s mounted on my tripod seems to knock it off it’s point of aim if I’m on an animal or area of interest. Just seems super clunky. Would be nice to just snap in place and avoid any of the moving around to find the sweet spot.

I think the Ollin seems like the sweet spot.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Only one I’ve ever had is the Ollin, but I hate fussy stuff, and it’s stupid simple to use, great results.

LoneStar

Lil-Rokslider
I just purchased the Novagrade and will be trying it out soon. Seems to be really well made and lots of easy adjustments.

JRay

Lil-Rokslider
The Ollin is fantastic but you’ll have to buy a new case every time you upgrade your phone if the dimensions are different.

jimh406

WKR
I think the phone that you have should be a consideration. I have a phone with multiple lenses. The adjustment on the case for the newer model Phoneskopes is very helpful. It allows me to use two different lenses although I usually only use one.

The other thing you might want to look at is how the part that goes on the phone works. For instance, the case can be quite a bit larger than a normal case depending on what case you normally use.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Simple and quality, look at the Carson
Universal 2.0 smartphone optics adapter fits nearly all smartphones & phablets like the iPhone XS/XSMax/X/8+/8/7+/7 with cases up to 3.75 inches wide

bayangler

FNG
I’ve been happy using the ScopeCam the last couple of years or so. The above referenced review captures it pretty well. It’s easy, quick and adaptable. When I get a new phone, changing is as simple as moving the plate to my new case with a sticker. I would suggest getting a bluetooth remote shutter to eliminate shaking. I’ve the one from Phone Skope but I’m sure there are others.

pirogue

WKR
Magview has two different type of plates. One comes with the phone, but they also sell one separately that does allow wireless charging. I’ve put it on my Otterbox case on my IPhone and the phone charges fine in my truck pocket made for wireless charging.

cmahoney

WKR
Magview has two different type of plates. One comes with the phone, but they also sell one separately that does allow wireless charging. I’ve put it on my Otterbox case on my IPhone and the phone charges fine in my truck pocket made for wireless charging.

Just put that POS on my Pelican IPhone case and it doesn’t charge or stay on the scope. I tried a few chargers too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
Tagged I'm trying not to go down this rabbit hole again. Phone Skope suck IMO.

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
Had several over the years. I don't recall the models. Threw them all away. Cumbersome, slow and never got anything close to a good picture.

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
Way better results free-handing vs any Phone Skope. This is a coyote at about 800 yds from the other day. By the time I would have gotten a Phone Skope lined up he would have finished his nap. Even if I would have gotten it set up you wouldn't have been able to make it out.
20231113_072706.jpg

BCsteve

WKR
Anybody can give me a couple Scopecam measurements? Trying to figure out if the mag plate will work with my iPhone and a MagSafe case and charger. I need to know the thickness of the stick on mag plate to see if it will charge with it on. And the max length of the arm to see if I could mount the mag plate below the Magsafe circle and still reach the camera lenses. Much appreciated.

bayangler

FNG
For the Scopecam, the plate measures +/- 1/16th of an inch from my case (this includes the sticker) and the max length is 4.5 from the tip of the camera opening to the end of the plate. The plate itself is 1.5 inches long. Lmk if you need any other measurements and I’ll do my best.

BCsteve

WKR
For the Scopecam, the plate measures +/- 1/16th of an inch from my case (this includes the sticker) and the max length is 4.5 from the tip of the camera opening to the end of the plate. The plate itself is 1.5 inches long. Lmk if you need any other measurements and I’ll do my best.
Awesome. Much appreciated. Looks like it would work either way. I taped a quarter approximately where the mag plate would be sitting and the magcharger still sticks and charges the phone. And according your measurements i might be able to avoid the Magsafe circle entirely.

The mag plate adapter is going on the Christmas list!