Spotting Scope Size Recomendation

BKhunter

WKR
Hey All,

What is the preferred size spotting scope you all are running. I'm looking to use it for hunting but also shooting. I am new to spotting scopes so really aren't sure which size is preferred for this combination but also considering I'd be using it while backpack hunting. TIA.

BK

In your experience, which have you regretted more: not having the right tool for the job, or working harder?

For me it comes down to how much time I'll spend with the optic in various activities. I shoot varmints and targets WAAAAAY more than I hunt big game in the back county so I went with an 82mm spotter. I pack that thing everywhere even on backpack hunts because the image is worth the weight.
I keep debating about trying a smaller spotter, but even the "nice" compact spotters seem to get left in the dust by the bigger spotters. A 65mm is probably a good compromise, but it's not that much lighter than my 82, and when I need to really look a long ways out the 82mm just makes it easy.

If you plan on packing, then you really need to think about weight and size. 60 to 65mm seems to be a good compromise

D S 319

WKR
Kowa 77 hasn’t been too cumbersome for me on backpacking hunts and works well at the range and other various things.

I just picked up a Swaro ATC 17-40x56 as my first nice optic and absolutely love that thing. I pretty much backpack hunt exclusively so the smaller weight/profile are important to me and the glass is very good. However, if you're looking for something more all around a 65mm might be the way to go for you.

atmat

WKR
Hey All,

What is the preferred size spotting scope you all are running. I'm looking to use it for hunting but also shooting. I am new to spotting scopes so really aren't sure which size is preferred for this combination but also considering I'd be using it while backpack hunting. TIA.

BK
Do you need a spotting scope? I have an ATS65, and while it’s awesome, I don’t use it nearly as much as my binos.