Spotting scopes…

I’m sure it’s been posted, but my search results are mostly discussing specific models. I am brand new to the spotting scope world, I’ve only ever needed binos. With an elk hunt coming in September I’m in the market for a spotting scope as well as a phone attachment. I’ve heard that the novagrade phone attachment is by far and away the best attachment, however I have no idea where to start for the actual scope. I’m sure budget is helpful to include, I’d be willing to look at anything 600ish and below currently. If there’s something wildly better for a bit more I could be convinced. TIA for all knowledge and advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my Maven C series spotter. I believe it’s a really good deal. I have a Magview and think it’s solid but have limited experience with others.

I have an angled version and I’m looking to switch to a straight version if you’re interested in purchasing let me know

Dumply

FNG
Ebay…picked up a like new Leica Televid 77 20-60x last month for a touch more than your stated budget, a big scope though. The eyepieces alone go for more than that new.
Got her a likewise condition Kowa TS6 20-60x60 last week for $300, a more compact and vintage but still excellent scope that makes fine and focused use of that 60x. Again, the eyepieces alone…
$$ goes a long way on Ebay,...$600 on a scope, quality used rather than mediocre new imo.

I really like my Maven C series spotter. I believe it’s a really good deal. I have a Magview and think it’s solid but have limited experience with others.

I have an angled version and I’m looking to switch to a straight version if you’re interested in purchasing let me know

I have the Maven CS.1 and Magview. Good way to get your feet wet and then figure out your particular use case for a spotter.

Call @gr8fuldoug @ Cameraland. He can steer you in the right direction.

Highly recommend giving them a call as well. Be forewarned that you will have someone with a NY accent ask you a bunch of questions and listen to your budget and requirements and then give you several options and tradeoffs of said options.

I wish figuring out my layering system was as easy as buying a tripod from them. They are probably the gold standard in customer service. If I ever take the plunge into Kowa or Swaro, they are getting a phone call.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Highly recommend giving them a call as well. Be forewarned that you will have someone with a NY accent ask you a bunch of questions and listen to your budget and requirements and then give you several options and tradeoffs of said options.

I wish figuring out my layering system was as easy as buying a tripod from them. They are probably the gold standard in customer service. If I ever take the plunge into Kowa or Swaro, they are getting a phone call.
It would be our pleasure to assist you. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, when you have time to discuss different options

Max your budget on new. Or look used.

Can prob get a tiny bit more quality used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
I'll play the devils advocate.

Depending on the type/location and expectations of the elk hunt. Not sure a spotter would be a must have. At least for me it has not been. Always leave mine at home and its probably the most expensive piece of gear I own. Definitely other things I would prioritize if trying to budget things out.

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
I'll play the devils advocate.

Depending on the type/location and expectations of the elk hunt. Not sure a spotter would be a must have. At least for me it has not been. Always leave mine at home and its the probably the most expensive piece of gear I own. Definitely other things I would prioritize if trying to budget things out.
Agreed. Very rarely do spotters offer much for an otc type elk hunt where any legal bull is the goal, best binos you can afford should be the priority always

madcalfe

WKR
I switched from phone scope to a novagrade and I'm not overly sold on the novagrade.
phone scope is much simpler and lighter. I always have to mess with the novagrade to get the position correct.
Yes, novagrade you only have to buy it once, but the phone scopes aren't expensive either.
For a spotter with 600$ budget id look for a vortex razor.

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a buy once cry once guy. Unless your hunt is purely a big area spot and stalk gig, keep the $600 in your pocket and save to let it double or triple. Then maybe let that amount do it again, depending how high end you want to go... if you really need the spotter, $600 will be tough to find the quality you really want/need unless you find a great deal. Like others, my spotter is my most expensive piece of glass, but it rarely sees the woods in sept. More of a scouting/deer/late season tool for me. In sept my 10x binos and ears tell me most of what I need to know.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
$600 won't get you a spotter that's usable in the top third of zoom. I went through several before I boned out for a kowa 88, which I should've done step 1.

lak2004

WKR
What's the hunt? If your in a trophy area maybe you'd need a spotter, otherwise probably not necessary. If you just want one just in case and won't use it much after, maybe a rental so you can get high end glass?

Tahoe1305

WKR
Couple close to $600 options in the below comparison that hung in pretty well with the big guys. You loose edge to edge, color, and some smoothness with the cheaper scopes. The center resolution in my experience isn’t too far off.

Never used the Novagrade, looks like you have to index it every time and looks clunky.

Switched from the Magview to the Ollin and I think that's the best option on the market right now. I keep the case on all the time, no issues in my jeans pockets.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Maybe I’m just luck…cheap…or both but this lil guy on Amazon has worked great for me for three years. Goes on scopes and binos, no case, light, and silly cheap.

Spotting Scope Smartphone Camera Adapter, Telescope Camera Adapter, Cell Phone Adapter Mount for Binocular Monocular
https://a.co/d/9p23cwi