Spring Bear tips needed

Rocketdog

FNG
I just started to get into bear hunting this year and could use some tips on locating spring bears in Western Montana. Here is what I (think) I know about spring bear hunting. Look for the greenest grass on south facing slopes near the snow line as wells as avalanche shouts. Try to hunt areas way from busy logging roads and popular trails. All that said I have still yet to see a bear in 6 days hunting. I've been going out the last 4-5 hours of daylight. A few questions I have is do they move much when it is raining and overcast? Will they be in rock shale looking for bugs this time of year? Also how many nights will you glass an area before moving on? I've heard that bears this early in spring stay in the same area and are not cruising all over. So I've been glassing the same area for 2-3 days before moving to another location, am I wasting time by not covering more ground?

Thanks!

I just got back from spring bear hunting and I am not an expert by any stretch. But I have learned a couple of things that might help you.
Cover a lot of ground. This year I spent 10 days in the field and just this past weekend started seeing a lot of bears. I glassed an area for 2 to three hours and moved on looking for the next place to set up and glass some more. Sometimes they are high and other times they are down along the rivers. If you find the food you will find the bears. This last weekend I saw them on the grassy slopes and on the rivers eating anything they could find. (Digging roots, rotten logs and eating green shoots) I hope this helps and good luck!

Back