Springfield xdm elite 10mm

Tyler Freel just did a 10mm pistol review on his tundra talk podcast, Compared the Springfield, Smith & Wesson, and Glock 10 mm I thought it was pretty thorough. He also talked about adding a aftermarket accessory called a gas pedal which helps control the recoil.
I am and always will be recoil averse, but picked up this pistol a few weeks ago for backpacking season and a backup for hunting season, and finally got around to putting a few rounds through it last night. Honestly was very pleasantly surprised with the recoil.

Stonia

FNG
Anyone know if the springfields will run on 40 S&W stock? The new Sig is able to, from what I've seen. That might open open up some other training options with ammo availability/price.

Anyone know if the springfields will run on 40 S&W stock? The new Sig is able to, from what I've seen. That might open open up some other training options with ammo availability/price.
Does Sig advertise this? If they do they must have come up with something I’m not aware of.

I personally wouldn’t put any 40 S&W ammunition in any semi auto 10mm. These cartridges both headspace on the case mouth instead of a rim (like a revolver cartridge does). Firing short (40 S&W) cartridges in a longer (10mm) chamber causes your extractor to hold the cartridge in position in the chamber. This isn’t good for your extractor and could cause a serious issue if the extractor doesn’t hold the cartridge concentric to the bore.

10mm revolvers can fire 40 S&W using moon clips creating a type of rim. It’s not the same thing.

If it were me I’d find lightly loaded practice 10mm ammo or handload my own.

Your gun and your call.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I wouldn't run 40 S&W in a 10mm either.

I have a Gen 3 G20 and 6" KKM barrel. It is soft to shoot, but a little heavier/bulkier than I'd like. I popped the factory barrel back in and it balances better. To me, the Glocks need some work to get them running right. Barrel, recoil rod/spring, sights, extended mag release and a couple of other odds and ends. My G17 is pretty much only only factory slide and frame. People say they aren't reliable when you monkey with them, but I haven't had that experience. I've toyed with having a LS built for the G20, but I'm not sure it pencils or would benefit much other than more weight out front and probably have a RDS milled into it. The G40 seems to check a lot of boxes, but you're looking at another barrel most likely too.

The G20 doesn't fit my hand as well the G17 and I've considered having some frame work done to it, the undercut on the trigger guard I think would help it a lot.

If I was in the market for another 10mm, I'd probably look hard at the Smith M&P or the XD, but since I don't live in a free state, those options are limited/unavailable. I have a 1911 10mm with 6" barrel that shoots great, but doesn't have the capacity of strikers and is heavier than the factory G20 and isn't cycling Barnes Tac-XP 155s.

My cents. Good luck on the quest. My advice, get something that fits your hand well, or are willing to make it so. The Glock grip angle isn't for everyone.

Stonia

FNG
Does Sig advertise this? If they do they must have come up with something I’m not aware of.

I personally wouldn’t put any 40 S&W ammunition in any semi auto 10mm. These cartridges both headspace on the case mouth instead of a rim (like a revolver cartridge does). Firing short (40 S&W) cartridges in a longer (10mm) chamber causes your extractor to hold the cartridge in position in the chamber. This isn’t good for your extractor and could cause a serious issue if the extractor doesn’t hold the cartridge concentric to the bore.

10mm revolvers can fire 40 S&W using moon clips creating a type of rim. It’s not the same thing.

If it were me I’d find lightly loaded practice 10mm ammo or handload my own.

Your gun and your call.
Apologies, not trying to recommend anything unsafe. I don't think Sig advertises that, but have seen a few reviews videos in which they run a few magazines without issue. I don't own either of the aforementioned guns yet

Stonia

FNG
Just to add to the discussion, The Firearm Blog's article on the Sig states "the XTEN has also been demonstrated to have great reliability with .40S&W ammunition". Sorry not trying to derail away from the XD. It looks like a great option.

Just to add to the discussion, The Firearm Blog's article on the Sig states "the XTEN has also been demonstrated to have great reliability with .40S&W ammunition". Sorry not trying to derail away from the XD. It looks like a great option.
🤔
That’d be cool if they made it safe to do so. That’d also open up CCI birdshot. I’d have to see something pretty authoritative before I’d do it. Do you have a link?

Found it. I wish they’d elaborate a little. I could learn that I’m mistaken…

Until someone shows how/why it is safe I’m inclined to go with this advice.

Last edited: