Sreekers Semi Live Elk Hunt

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Last fall I was able to take 2 elk over the course of the season, and was a part of packing out 4. This year I have three tags in my pocket and am upping the odds a bit as we already have a significant amount of snow in the high country. I will be car camping it with a LOT of early morning hikes to stay in elk country all day long.

Here is what I am shooting for this year:

1. Fill my general any elk tag with a bull that would not be considered a rag horn. I have killed a lot of elk, and been a part of a LOT of elk harvests, it's time to be picky with my bull tag like I am with my deer tags. In general units it is very tough to be picky, but I have hunted this area most of my life and I believe that I can find a good bull to harvest. I know of several very big bulls that have come from the unit and where they like to live to wait out the season. I will however reserve the right to shoot a freak........

2. Fill both of my cow tags and use only the red meat that I have harvested for the entire year. If I notch all 3 tags that means I will have meat from 2 cows, one bull and one very mature, large bodied deer. I will start working on the white meat for the freezer once the lake gets about 3 inches of ice.

The forecast is for minimal snow accumulation while I am there, but there is a real possibility of a LOT of wind.

My pack choices will be the MR Tactiplane, Metcalf, and SG Solo, and if either of my partners are successful we will likely be using them all at different points. Between the three of us we could potentially kill 5!!!!! elk which means a very sore body.

The micro spikes will also be traveling with me as some of the hills are very steep and require extra traction when frozen. This area has a lot of open hillsides that the elk really like and the recent burn has really made some ground frozen.

I will update nightly if possible, but if I don't I will post updates when I get back into cell service. So, semi live it is.....

OP
ScottR_EHJ

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Loading up the truck.....i have a feeling that today is going to be a good one!

Preparing for a cold trip, plenty of snow and cooler temps.

OP
ScottR_EHJ

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks guys! Its going to be a fun hunt. We potentially have 5 tags that could be filled in 3 days......should be great fun!

OP
ScottR_EHJ

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No elk yet, lots of sign. Waiting for the afternoon feeding session to start.

2rocky

WKR
Good Luck Scott.

This is the first time I've heard of someone getting 2 extra Cow tags in WY. I'm intrigued, even I don't go through a whole elk in a year!

OP
ScottR_EHJ

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Story on the day is a near miss, my partner missed a spike twice. 2 spikes came out of the trees at 60 yards.

I had an opportunity at a six right at the end of shooting light. He was feeding into a small opening but i didn't get him in the scope quick enough.

Side note, the Meindl Perfekt Hunters will be retired after this season. The Gore tex and thinsulate have separated at the seam in the heel. 3 seasons is probably right, love the boots.

OP
ScottR_EHJ

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yesterday came and went with the battle i fight once a year. ATV access has ruined more than one, hunt in a place i have killed a lot of elk.

Forest service was notified then we headed down to try another area. On the way down we ran into a first time hunter and his family. He killed a decent 6x5 and they were struggling to get it down the mountain. We helped them break it down and then pulled it to their vehicle. They wanted hair on bone in so our work was cut out for us.

We made it back to the truck and changed areas. We hunted some hillsides by glassing hoping to intercept. Didn't see any thing.

I will post my thoughts on some gear throughout the week. I really need snow to get this done.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Awesome Scott to help out that family!!! Well done sir...and good luck on the rest of your season.

Good luck Scott. Hope the favor you showed that family comes back to you on this hunt. But it will come back to you one way or another....

OP
ScottR_EHJ

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I head back out in the morning, its time to get this done. I am wavering on the 300 inch standard, seems that i like eating elk all year a lot.

I have until the 31st for a bull, and pretty much January for the cow tags. This trip is solo, unless i am dumb enough to shoot 2 several miles in.....

OP
ScottR_EHJ

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here is the bull we helped haul out last week. Kid is one happy camper!uploadfromtaptalk1382670636378.jpg