Stainless vs Cerakote

colonel00

WKR
I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger (pun intended) on a rifle purchase. I have been planning on picking up a Tikka in stainless but I was curious as to what people thought about just getting a blued version and then getting a Cerakote application. I will probably still go with stainless but figured this might be an interesting discussion.

Oh, and cost-wise, it is about a wash between the extra cost of stainless versus the cost of the Cerakote application...give or take.

LaHunter

WKR
You could go stainless AND cerakote. The bore would be more corrosion resistant with stainless vs blued.

GKPrice

Banned
there is a Tikka T3 SS standing in the corner of my office that a buddy didn't take care of IN MY CAMP and it has rust pits all over it - as said, it was my camp and I cannot figure out how it happened - my "smith" says go CM and cerakote, CM steel is stronger / tougher

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
My local gunsmith says the biggest cause of accuracy problems he deals with is rust on the inside of the bore. Good quality stainless barrels pretty much solve this issue. I also have all my stainless guns cerakoted. If done properly, they are disassembled and even the small parts are coated and protected. Check out this site http://falcongunfinishing.com/

He does work for some of the high-end gun makers and has done all my guns. There is a big difference between good and bad application jobs with cerakote. Very happy with the results with Jeff at Falcon.

bradb

WKR
I din't have the barrel done but had an action melonite treated and so far BY FAR my favorite of the coatings/treatments(as its not really a coating) Would like to try it on a barrel but not enough to risk the cost of a match barrel.
Otherwise I am a stainless fan. Cera when that option is not available

dotman

WKR
there is a Tikka T3 SS standing in the corner of my office that a buddy didn't take care of IN MY CAMP and it has rust pits all over it - as said, it was my camp and I cannot figure out how it happened - my "smith" says go CM and cerakote, CM steel is stronger / tougher

Pretty much what my smith said. The stainless used today still has a high iron count which makes them rust as well.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't exactly live in a so-called "wet" environment, but I have several blued rifles that I've had and used for 30+ years without any issues at all from rust or pitting.:confused:

GKPrice

Banned
anything Cerakoted will have virtually the same resistance to rust as any SS will - On another note, I recall a known gunsmith who's name is presently escaping my memory who openly stated that in cold temps SS is not as strong as most CM's - It occurred to me at that time to ask just how cold he was talking about but I never had the chance to pose that question - I will say that in my lifetime I've had the privilege of owning and working with quite a few very nice rifles and in all but a limited number of them the CM barreled ones were more inherently accurate and much easier to arrive at good loads - If you notice the chamberings that Tikka offers the 338 Win Mag is no longer on the list and it used to be, a stainless T3 I had for a while was one of the 2 T3's that I could get nowhere with in load development AND there was a picture floating around several years ago (Alaska Outdoors Forums I think) of a seriously blown up T3 and that was said to be a 338 Win Mag too, definitely SS too) Now that Cerakoting is around I am going with CM on anything I do in the future, personally

Personally I would prefer the cerakote, but can't say I have any kind of data to support it one way or another.
Personally, I have a couple of blued guns that have made it more than 20 years with no rust issues in some very wet conditions. So I imagine whatever you choose will last a while if you take care of it.