Stan Onnex (Hinge)

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
In my quest to find the perfect hinge, the onnex hinge has caught my eye. Any experience with them? I've heard their customer service hasn't been great recently but I called their CS and talked to someone and they were helpful so I'm not too concerned. I like the safety feature for hunting if I get a little excited when drawing.

A hinge should be hard to screw up. I do feel like the quality at Stan has been suffering tho. Know of a few Onnex thumbs that had issues. Also a Tru-ball Goat and an Executive so it might just be a reflection of times we are in with help/staffing and the ability to maintain QC. Unfortunate either way. These were all issues that occurred early with the releases, not a wear issue.

I like the releases B3 has been producing. They don't have a hinge that matches a thumb yet if that's what you are looking for.

Tru ball does or did make hinges with safeties too if that's a feature you really want.

OP
E

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I've only heard good things about B3 so maybe I'll give one of them a try. I've been shooting UV hinge & Scott Ascents for the past year so a safety isn't necessary but might help when my nerves get elevated. I love the UV and shot 2 deer with it this year but the neck is just a little too long for me.

dryfly101

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the onnex hinge in brass and I really like it so far. Had to send it back to them to get the clicker installed, but it was a pretty fast turn and for me the click is perfect. I don't use the safety at all so I'm no help there. One thing I like is that when adjusted to where I like the click, the head is firmly held and doesn't flop around at all. The head is a different type of mechanism than I've seen on any other hinge and it seems to break super clean. I was afraid that the fixed click would get held up in a trough like others I've had, but it's as smooth as the ascent. I used the matching thumb this year, but am thinking about the hinge for next year.
I also have an ascent, executive, and also got rid of the h2 because it wouldn't get fast enough for me and the hook placement was hard for me to activate.
My advice is to get it, try it, and if you don't like it sell it. I've been through a lot of releases though.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Thanks, I've only heard good things about B3 so maybe I'll give one of them a try. I've been shooting UV hinge & Scott Ascents for the past year so a safety isn't necessary but might help when my nerves get elevated. I love the UV and shot 2 deer with it this year but the neck is just a little too long for me.

I haven't liked the UV because it puts the hook over my middle finger. I preferred it closer to my index, but that's a personal thing and it's all about my anchor. Also prefer a shorter neck.

I think UV is making a good release, just not for me.

dryfly101

Lil-Rokslider
Know of a few Onnex thumbs that had issues.

I've heard of people having issues with these as well, but never heard what the actual issues were. My onnex thumb was very rough when first setting it, like the metal wasn't smooth, but after a few hundred shots and me fidgeting with it for a few days, it smoothed out nicely.

Can you share what the issues were with the ones you know about?

I've heard of people having issues with these as well, but never heard what the actual issues were. My onnex thumb was very rough when first setting it, like the metal wasn't smooth, but after a few hundred shots and me fidgeting with it for a few days, it smoothed out nicely.

Can you share what the issues were with the ones you know about?

Consistency in breaking. I believe one once it was set light wouldn't consistently hold. But it was mostly inconsistent tension to break the release. Never pulled any apart to see what the actual problem was. With other releases I have seen where the sears weren't milled correctly and angled. Basically a bit has a life expectancy, when it gets wore out and you keep using it, things won't be correct. Translates to sears not making full engagement on each other, which can also cause a release to break while drawing.

These issues aren't limited to any one company, just seems 2 companies I'm seeing/hearing more issues from. Could be that they are still the most popular companies out there too, so it's possible they could have a return rate half as much as anyone else, but if they are putting 5 times the releases out there, they will have a higher number of overall problems. I don't really know who is selling the most releases right now.

Personally, the amount of money they are charging for these releases, I ain't spending several hundred arrows hoping that a release smooths itself out. It might smooth out, or it might give out halfway back. I haven't busted teeth yet, but I know 2 guys that broke their own front teeth holding onto those brass knuckles.

dryfly101

Lil-Rokslider
Consistency in breaking. I believe one once it was set light wouldn't consistently hold. But it was mostly inconsistent tension to break the release. Never pulled any apart to see what the actual problem was. With other releases I have seen where the sears weren't milled correctly and angled. Basically a bit has a life expectancy, when it gets wore out and you keep using it, things won't be correct. Translates to sears not making full engagement on each other, which can also cause a release to break while drawing.

These issues aren't limited to any one company, just seems 2 companies I'm seeing/hearing more issues from. Could be that they are still the most popular companies out there too, so it's possible they could have a return rate half as much as anyone else, but if they are putting 5 times the releases out there, they will have a higher number of overall problems. I don't really know who is selling the most releases right now.

Personally, the amount of money they are charging for these releases, I ain't spending several hundred arrows hoping that a release smooths itself out. It might smooth out, or it might give out halfway back. I haven't busted teeth yet, but I know 2 guys that broke their own front teeth holding onto those brass knuckles.
Thanks for elaborating. I like to have enough tension that I can hold my thumb on the trigger, even press a little and know that it won't go off, so I've never set one very light. I imagine that when you start riding that line looking for a hair trigger on any release, things could get dicey quick.

Thanks for elaborating. I like to have enough tension that I can hold my thumb on the trigger, even press a little and know that it won't go off, so I've never set one very light. I imagine that when you start riding that line looking for a hair trigger on any release, things could get dicey quick.

I think it's more travel/over travel that's the issue over a really light or hair trigger release. You need to have very tight tolerance to not have travel.

A lot of these releases are milled overseas, come over in bulk containers as misc parts and assembled. The QC is lost on a lot of the pieces from the jump, then get assembled into something that "works" and gets sent out. It's simply cheaper to have stuff made oversees, when these companies get bought out and run by corporations, it's about the %, and they can make more by paying a piece meal rate for 5k pieces from whomever will turn it out cheapest and paying someone with limited knowledge to assemble.

OP
E

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
Speaking of QC, here's my $279 release. Not the end of the world but a little annoying. Came with the click installed so a newer run I imagine.

I like the release so far though. Clean release like dryfly mentioned.

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 12.11.11 PM.jpg