Stand Alone Bivy Recommendation

fshaw

WKR
I’ve read the bivy and tarp thread. Lots of good points.

I want to get a bivy for 2-3 day deer hunting trips in the Adirondacks. I live here so can pick my days and won’t need a tarp. I’ve slept in bivys enough to know that I prefer a hoop to keep it off my face. I also have a 2 pound solo tent but want to be free to travel new country each day and sleep in a spot that looks promising for llast light and daybreak sits without pitching a tent in the dark. Basically just want to crawl in and crash.

I think I have it narrowed doen to the Big Agnes 3 Wire and the OR Alpine Ascent Shell. I’d refer to have some side access rather than crawling in from the end like the OR Helium.

Anyone have experience with either, or preferably both, of these bivys? I use an XTherm NXT Max sleeping pad. Room inside the bivy for this pad? I have an older OR Alpine bivy that’s too tight with the sleeping pad inside. It’s barrier is delaminating and I’m not going to use it any more for risk of breathing particles of the barrier material as I sleep. I have a Borah bivy but want more wind protection. Open to recommendations from first hand experience with other bivys as well. I don’t hunt with trecking poles. So the ultralight DCF shelters are out.

Thanks.

Frank

I've used custom sized Borah Gear bivy's (eVent and Argon 67 & 90) for years now with zero complaints. Just purchased a BA 3 Wire Bivy for an improved stand alone bivy option for the same reasons you're considering it. Larger size, hoops keep it off my head and upper body, stand alone option, etc. I also found the OR bivy's undersized when I tried them. Not bad products just not for me. I'm 6', 240, with an Xtherm pad and WM Badger or Kifaru Slick Bag and have plenty of room in the 3 Wire.

BBob

WKR
The BA Three Wire has morphed a lot over the years. Am I seeing it right that it looks like it's been reduced to a single hoop but still retains the Three Wire name???

They used to make a Three Wire that was very similar to the old Bibler Tripod. The Bibler Tripod was my favorite bivy because of the room it had. The Bibler also had a foot pole so you could get it fully off of you and have great ventilation with no condensation combined with the ToddTex.

It did get some kind of “update” in the last 6 months or so. Haven’t seen the new “hooped” version in person but love the actual (possibly older style now) 3 wire version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Look at MLD's eVent bivy- have had mine for ~ 15 years, breathes better than any Gore ones I've used. Definitely fully waterproof, but as you stated—not where you want to be (any stand alone bivy) with a lot of rain or snow.

For a bivy, I do really like the BA version, but I still prefer in conjunction with a tarp for gear and ventilation purposes...

Attachments

• 20230827_135316.jpg
    20230827_135316.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230827_135256.jpg
    20230827_135256.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 11