Starter Setup

jdwelch93

FNG
I've never been out west backpacking, hunting, etc., but I'm starting my research and getting plans together to make a trip in the next few years. What backpacking tent, sleeping bag, and pad is a good starting point? I

OP
J

jdwelch93

FNG
Nope. I’m a southeastern guy, so mountain hunting is a new thing for me. I’ll also be using it for some backpacking trips in the Appalachian mountains,

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
A lot depends on what state, time of year, etc for the type of gear you would need. Are you looking floorless or with a floor? Lots of different options out there.

zacattack

WKR
I’m from Mississippi and it’s like drinking from a firehouse at first. There’s a million brands, models, options and opinions. I started with a bunch of Coleman or Walmart stuff camping in the smoky mountains, for a few years, then used it in Michigan and took it to Wyoming for my first western hunt. After that I started upgrading.I guess my advice would be to spend $100 bucks on some gear that will suffice for the southeast, learn what you like or need and then upgrade until that first hunt.

Currently I have a feathered friends 0 degree bag, MLD duomid and a thermarest xtherm, that I really like. I got them all used from here or Facebook backpacking groups, saved a shit ton of money. But it took me a couple of years to get it all.

I realize this maybe more philosophical than you were looking for.

Do some research on hunting rental equipment companies. There's a couple of online dealers that will rent you a lot of your equipment to try out and sometimes if you want to purchase your rental fees go towards the price.

It's a lot of info at first. Do research over a couple weeks: websites, youtube reviews, etc... then start whittling down your necessities and wants. Things will come into focus once you really submerse yourself....

OP
J

jdwelch93

FNG
All of this is great advice. Thanks very much! I guess my biggest question would be is a $600 tent, $500 bag, and $200 pad worth it for 2-3 trips a year at best?

dondondon

FNG
Get a pad that is durable if your not going to put a tarp or base pad down. You don’t want to be looking for holes to patch when it’s cold and dark out already and carry a aftermarket patch kit.

zacattack

WKR
All of this is great advice. Thanks very much! I guess my biggest question would be is a $600 tent, $500 bag, and $200 pad worth it for 2-3 trips a year
Considering this is what’s going to keep you alive I would say yes, but that’s me. It’s also cheaper than most hotel rooms for a week long trip. At least this is how I justify it.

OP
J

jdwelch93

FNG
Considering this is what’s going to keep you alive I would say yes, but that’s me. It’s also cheaper than most hotel rooms for a week long trip. At least this is how I justify it.
Very valid point. I’m positive I can talk my wife into spending the money using this!

A second job is an excellent starting point. More useful info, decide what the budget is and go from there. Tons of options to melt your mind on. Good luck

Marble

WKR
I would get some cheap stuff at first and camp out of my car, but use the gear like I was backpacking. You'll figure out what not to go cheap on.

You will figure out what size tent you want, stove system, food you like, how to deal with water, etc.

Dont skimp on boots, pack, sleeping bag or pad. I used a 29.99 Big 5 special until 2018. It weighed 7 pounds. So heavy stuff will work. But if you're poor....or starting out it's tough.

I've since upgraded to pretty light, fairly pricey gear and can do a 6 day hunting trip in non winter weather at less than 40 pounds.
Not including weapon. Other guys can go lighter but I'm happy where I'm at.

It will take time, but you'll figure it out.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
What’s your opinion on a floor vs. floorless?
I personally did my first solo backpack elk trip last year. For September in CO I had no problems with my floorless shelter , and really liked the setup I had. I picked up a used mountain smith shelter lt on here, and it was a great 2 lb shelter for less than $100. If I was hunting NM or AZ, I wouldn’t want to go floorless due to the creepy crawlers personally. Just depends on what you expect your future trips to be like. Each type has its own strengths and weaknesses, at least that’s what I gathered from my research.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Tent: Kifaru Sawtooth
Bivy: Borah Gear
Bag: Big Agnes Anvil 15*
Pad: Big Agnes AXL Insulated

Homemade Tyvek groundsheet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HuntnPack

WKR
I've never been out west backpacking, hunting, etc., but I'm starting my research and getting plans together to make a trip in the next few years. What backpacking tent, sleeping bag, and pad is a good starting point?
Shelter:

Option 1.
Seek Outside Cimmaron
Stove Jack
Line Lock Extension Kit
Carbon pole.
(Add 1/2, or Full Nest, or stove if needed)

Option 2.
Seek Outside DST Tarp
( Add trekking poles )

Sleep system:

(Borah Bivy if needed)

NEMO Men's Riff 15 Degree Sleeping Bag

Exped SynMat UL Winter LW Sleeping Pad

Therm-A-Rest Air Head Down Pillow

Seek Outside
Fearlessly Floorless Ground Sheet

Last edited:

Ratbeetle

WKR
For early season CO, my current setup is:

Seek Outside Silex w/stove jack (I have a medium stove for my 6 man, but haven't used it in the Silex yet)
Borah Bivy
Marmot Sawtooth 15 bag (this is my weak link now, it works but I'm looking for something new)
Nemo Tensor Insulated Pad

I'm a big fan of Nemo pads. I move around quite a bit when I sleep and Thermarest pads sound like I'm rolling around on a bag of chips...can't stand how loud their pads are.

Last edited:

JRMiller

WKR
If your backpack hunting spend the most you can on quality lightweight gear.
Car camping anything will work, backpacking totally different. Every once of weight and warmth count.
That pretty much means a down bag, a silnylon or dyneema tent, and a pad with a high R rating.