Stocky’s Hunter VG Tikka stock

Tullis94

WKR
For me the trigger reach has been fine but I'm 6'1". I've enjoyed mine so far but am happy to see people who will have more time behind them give their opinions.

Durability of the stock from the grip back is a concern for me. It is pretty flimsy and hollow. I actually took of the recoil pad, cut out the small chunk of foam there and filled all the hollow space with spray foam. It sounds way better and has a lot less flex when pinching the stock between my fingers. Still seems like a weak spot though.

For me the trigger reach has been fine but I'm 6'1". I've enjoyed mine so far but am happy to see people who will have more time behind them give their opinions.

Durability of the stock from the grip back is a concern for me. It is pretty flimsy and hollow. I actually took of the recoil pad, cut out the small chunk of foam there and filled all the hollow space with spray foam. It sounds way better and has a lot less flex when pinching the stock between my fingers. Still seems like a weak spot though.
What you're describing is where mine cracked. Not a fan of these stocks.

atmat

WKR
I’m very concerned about trigger reach I have short fat fingers.
Me too, and it’s my biggest gripe about the Stocky’s. I have three of them because I do think it’s the best all-around option, but I could do with a shorter reach.

I’m also gonna put some grip tape or paint on mine. It’s way to slick as is.
The paint schemes that come with “web” (i.e., olive web, etc.) are much less slick. The “webbing” portion is a textured paint compared to the base color underneath. It doesn’t totally fix the issue, but it’s much grippier than my non-web version.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what were the conditions that caused it to crack (i.e., just shooting vs big drop vs etc.)?

Also, did you reach out to Stocky’s when it happened? Did they have any response?
The conditions were me thinking it felt flimsy so I gave it a squeeze with my hand no harder than you'd shake someone's...it then cracked, not a full on blown out Crack but a little hairline Crack. Stockys took it back no questions asked so the customer service was good.

atmat

WKR
The conditions were me thinking it felt flimsy so I gave it a squeeze with my hand no harder than you'd shake someone's...it then cracked, not a full on blown out Crack but a little hairline Crack. Stockys took it back no questions asked so the customer service was good.
Thanks for sharing your experience — that would be a massive bummer to happen. I’ve dropped one of mine and tried to manhandle it a bit and haven’t had those issues. I’ll have to keep an eye out for hairlines now though. Hopefully that was just a one-off. Good on them for making it right.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experience — that would be a massive bummer to happen. I’ve dropped both of mine and tried to manhandle them a bit and haven’t had those issues. I’ll have to keep an eye out for hairlines now though. Hopefully that was just a one-off. Good on them for making it right.
Yeah hopefully they keep working for you. Curious to see the longevity of them with hard use.

Hunter609

WKR
I like the vg a lot after I put a 1/2” spacer on it, my blued action won’t fit in it right it’s too tight, the stainless fits like a glove

amassi

WKR
For you folks that bought a Stockys Tikka VG, did you backorder, or what? I've ordered and payed for a stock 2x and both times was later emailed saying they didn't really have the stock.

Back ordered on Sunday
Arrived on Wednesday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
Also the t1x doesn’t fit these stocks unless you deemed out the space for the bolt release.
Recent stock arrived without a recoil lug, which is a non issue since I have a ton on hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kurts86

WKR
How is the trigger reach and grip size relative to a manners EH1?

I’ve hand an EH1, a PRS1 and an LRH the EH1 had the longest trigger reach and biggest perceived grip size. It was right on the upper edge of usable with medium hands.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
First rounds out.

Top dot is the first 5 rounds, no adjustment from factory stock. Adjusted down .2 mil, and and Right .1- next ten on middle dot. That shows the issue with adjusting based on 5 shots. Came back up .1 mil, lower left dot.
IMG_1771.jpeg

10 round group is about 1.2”, which is average or slightly below for this lot of ammo.
Overall feel of the stock is good. Action fit was tight, magazine seating and feeding is correct. It has a hollow sound and thud in the butt, but there is no give no matter how hard I squeeze it. Forend is good, a little flatter and wider than a true sporter, but rounded and is easy to carry. Trigger reach is just a bit longer than ideal, but better than most others. The overall grip is good- vertical and no too fat with one little part that could be better. The tang is rounded for easy thumb placement. Comb is decent, should be higher, but is parallel with bore.

Overall initial thoughts are good. From prone and bags I watched all rounds hit paper through the scope on 10x (308win 175gr SMK’s)

IMG_1770.jpeg

atmat

WKR
First rounds out.

Top dot is the first 5 rounds, no adjustment from factory stock. Adjusted down .2 mil, and and Right .1- next ten on middle dot. That shows the issue with adjusting based on 5 shots. Came back up .1 mil, lower left dot.
View attachment 588780

10 round group is about 1.2”, which is average or slightly below for this lot of ammo.
Overall feel of the stock is good. Action got was tight, magazine and feeding is correct. It has a hollow sound and thud in the butt, but there is no give no matter how hard I squeeze it. Forend is good, a little flatter and wider than a true sporter, but rounded and is easy to carry. Trigger reach is just a bit longer than ideal, but better than most others. The overall grip is good- vertical and no too fat with one little part that could be better. The tang is rounded for east thumb placement. Comb is decent, should be higher, but is parallel with bore.

Overall initial thoughts are good. From prone and bags I watched all rounds hit paper through the scope on 10x.

View attachment 588781
As always, thanks for the reviews Form.

nobody

WKR
First rounds out.

View attachment 588780

Overall feel of the stock is good. Action fit was tight, magazine seating and feeding is correct. It has a hollow sound and thud in the butt, but there is no give no matter how hard I squeeze it. Forend is good, a little flatter and wider than a true sporter, but rounded and is easy to carry. Trigger reach is just a bit longer than ideal, but better than most others. The overall grip is good- vertical and no too fat with one little part that could be better. The tang is rounded for easy thumb placement. Comb is decent, should be higher, but is parallel with bore.

Overall initial thoughts are good. From prone and bags I watched all rounds hit paper through the scope on 10x (308win 175gr SMK’s)

View attachment 588781
Any drop testing yet?

Is that a chunk missing on the right hand side of the butt near the recoil pad in the last photo? If so, any idea what caused it?