Stocky’s Hunter VG Tikka stock

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
You can see from the photos that one side of the barrel channel on my new VG is thicker than the other. I dropped my T3X in just to see how it fit and it appears that the channel for the action and barrel was cut a little to one side. I have a CarbonSix sendero profile barrel on order that will end up in this stock so the gap will be smaller but my question to the forum is - Will this affect accuracy at all or is it just an aesthetic issue?

The rear sling swivel mount was also installed a little crooked (canted to the bolt side). Does anyone see this being an issue that will cause me problems?

It will be a while before I get my barreled action back so I am just trying to figure out if these functional issues are something I need to contact Stocky’s about or are minor enough to overlook?

Attachments

• IMG_9684.jpeg
    IMG_9684.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_9683.jpeg
    IMG_9683.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_9686.jpeg
    IMG_9686.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_9670.jpeg
    IMG_9670.jpeg
    290.4 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_9687.jpeg
    IMG_9687.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 114
You can see from the photos that one side of the barrel channel on my new VG is thicker than the other. I dropped my T3X in just to see how it fit and it appears that the channel for the action and barrel was cut a little to one side. I have a CarbonSix sendero profile barrel on order that will end up in this stock so the gap will be smaller but my question to the forum is - Will this affect accuracy at all or is it just an aesthetic issue?

The rear sling swivel mount was also installed a little crooked (canted to the bolt side). Does anyone see this being an issue that will cause me problems?

It will be a while before I get my barreled action back so I am just trying to figure out if these functional issues are something I need to contact Stocky’s about or are minor enough to overlook?
I don't know if it would affect accuracy but the aesthetic issue alone is worth contacting them about. Your stock should never have made it out the door.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
UPDATE: Less than half an hour after my above post about my VG stock, someone from Stocky’s PM’d me about sending me a shipping label to swap out my stock with a new one.

This is my first product from Stocky’s so I don’t have a large sample size regarding QC, but I have been impressed with their customer service and their willingness to interact with this forum and the attention they have paid to the needs of the shooters and hunters on here.

And Go Huskies!

Last edited:

ThatDUDE

WKR
Thank you @Stockys. I ordered a VG stock for my Howa Mini and used the free shipping code. I couldn't pass up free shipping and 30% off. Thank you for supporting us here.

Elite

WKR
If you have normal sized hands, the trigger reach is fine. It’s usable for smaller hands, if not ideal. @Ryan Avery is going to build his up a bit, as he has small hands smell like cabbage.

This one dropped in fine and shoots what the gun was doing, or slightly better than the factory stock for significant shot groups sizes. It offers a little bit better control than the factory stock.
Would a normal size hand be a medium or large glove?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Would a normal size hand be a medium or large glove?

More on the large size. You can make it work, but it less than ideal. Trigger reach should be no more than around 1.6” to 1.7”, and the VG is about 2.25”. Most people don’t realize how much better a shorter trigger reach is until they experience it side by side.

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
More on the large size. You can make it work, but it less than ideal. Trigger reach should be no more than around 1.6” to 1.7”, and the VG is about 2.25”. Most people don’t realize how much better a shorter trigger reach is until they experience it side by side.
I've been saying this for years about too long of trigger reach. I'm glad you guys are bringing it to attention.

Elite

WKR
My VG arrived today! 5lbs 5oz bare rifle, 7lbs 8oz with scope and suppressor. Going to see how it shoots in the morning. Kept the 15x scope for hunting bunnies with the kids (gotta have the zoom to make headshots or there isn't anything left to eat lol)

16 inch T3 223rem 1/8, superlite
Aluminum bottom metal
Credo 2.5-15x42
Dnz 1 piece rings w/bubble
155vsx can, 30 cal with 223 endcap
Fluted bolt
Mtn bolt nob
Wiser micro arca rail
Whats the details on that rifle? Looks good!

Whats the details on that rifle? Looks good!
Not much else to say about it. I've had this tikka 223rem for probably 10 or 12 years?? Decided to cut it down to 16. Shot well in a B&C stock I have, as well as the factory. For some reason it didn't like the mdt lss chassis I put it in for a while. I thought at first this VG was going to give me trouble, groups opened up for the first 50 shots or so, but has since settled back to normal... which for this rifle is about MOA for most good factory ammo.

Has the mountain tactical bottom metal, Wiser precision arca mini rail, mtn gear bolt nob. Currently been shooting it with my jk155 can. Shoots stand1 77tmk decent, about 2750fps. Frontier 68gr bthp shoots a bit tighter and shoots to the same zero as the 77tmk stuff, but lots cheaper for practice.

I plan to swap the dnz 1 piece rings for the 20moa dnz 1 piece. The credo runs out of elevation with this particular rifle a bit over 400 yards.

Elite

WKR

Thanks for the reply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
how does one with cabbage hands build up a stock to reduce trigger reach?

You can add bondo, etc. to the front of the grip shortening the distance. Then sand the back side down to bring it back dimensionally, then refinish.

how does one with cabbage hands build up a stock to reduce trigger reach?

I'll get some pics up soon, but I just finished building up the grip on my VG2. I started with a couple layers of cork tape I had on hand, and then covered that up with several coats of JB Weld. Just a relatively thin layer at a time, shaping it as I went. Finished with some filler primer to smooth things out and then truck bed coating for texture. Turned out great! I haven't measured what the trigger reach is now, but I think I probably added around 1/2" of material overall.

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
I'll get some pics up soon, but I just finished building up the grip on my VG2. I started with a couple layers of cork tape I had on hand, and then covered that up with several coats of JB Weld. Just a relatively thin layer at a time, shaping it as I went. Finished with some filler primer to smooth things out and then truck bed coating for texture. Turned out great! I haven't measured what the trigger reach is now, but I think I probably added around 1/2" of material overall.
Pics would be great!