Stoeger 3500 Info for Potential Buyers

Slugz

WKR
Just wanted to relay my experience here so others know the mistake I think I made. First a scene setter.....

Beretta owns Benelli.
Benelli owns Stoeger.
Stoeger semi autos are made in Turkey.

I've had several people that I trust and I know are being honest tell me nothing but great things about their Stoeger 3500. A close friend of mine is the worst I've ever seen at keeping his guns clean and periodic maintenance. He even used his once as a paddle, shook the water out and it worked fine. I was sold that these Stoegers were a slimmed down version of the other great interia driven guns those Italian companys make.

We ran em dry, ran em wet, ran em with light oil. We got the factory grease out and follow everything the operating manual says. We store em bolt closed. Issues we have are.....
1) They don't like the cold. I can only guess at why, but they don't. All my southern friend's have zero issues with them.
2) Sometimes the #1 hull gets stuck as its ejected
3) Sometimes the infamous click
4) Winchester Super X are a disaster. Switched to Federal Black cloud and helped a little. ( 1.5 full seasons with Federal BC
5) Only 30 percent of the time do we get 3 shots in one salvo with no issues

We have used the guns like normal waterfowl hunters would. Kayak hunting, blind hunting, layout blind hunting, pit hunting and bucket sitting in dove season. We dont muddy em up. We protect em in the goose pit but there is not one consistent issue with them and its always something. They pattern great with a Patternmaster Choke and the supplied chokes are not far behind.

Why did I get some Stoegers you may ask. Well price and thinking its a simple gun made by some gun makers who have a history of making simple guns that work well. Todays price comparison for reference.

600$ M3500 in Black
700$ M3500 in Camo (sons gun)
1100$ M3500 Waterfowl model in Camo ( my gun)
1700$ Super Black Eagle II
1800$ Super Black Eagle III

I cant say with fact, exact data or 100% assurance they are junk. But we have too may issues to not think there was some kind of manufacturing issue that is doing this. Tolerance on a piece of metal of some process. Different bad lot numbers. Don't know.

Buy once cry once. You pay for what ya get. I know em all. We will most liklely try and send them to Stoeger but I have not heard much good news about that procedure. Most likely I'm gonna send them to my local shotgun expert gunsmith and have him look em over, polish and smooth what he thinks should be polished and smoothed, maybe round some edges and see how they work. At the very least we will turn them into turkey guns I guess.

I'm leaning towards getting a couple SBE II since they have been around a while and sending them to Rob Roberts Custom Gun works and let him do his majic. We spend way too much time scouting, driving in the dark setting up and taking down spreads not to make each and every opportunity count. You lunatic waterfowl guys know what I mean :)

Hope that helps someone. All the best.

Last edited:

hodgeman

WKR
I've got a 3500 that we've used quite a bit. The only issue I've had is using 2.75" club loads in cold weather- not enough oomph to make it work 100%. With 3.5" waterfowl loads it runs like a top. I did break it down and degrease everything before I fired the first shot.

These are simple guns that Stoeger or your smith should be able to make work.

How many total rounds have you put through them? I am only familiar with one Stoeger, it has been problem free. Generally it isn't used below 20 degrees, but cycles dove loads to goose loads fine.

The click is operator error. Black eagles will do it, the new A-5 will do it, the 3500 will do it. Bolt isn't in full battery, either the user rode the bolt home, pulled it back to check to see if chambered and didn't ensure it was fully engaged after, or was set down on the butt too hard and caused the bolt to jar.

Also an issue with fitment of the bolt carrier, this will cause it to hang and is worse with heavier shells.

All guns can have problems, some more than others. I don't think I'd buy a shotgun, then send it off to have "majic' done on it. Most guns have forcing cones long enough for steel shot anymore. Quality choke tubes are just that, don't matter where they come from. Lots of good guns out there now, general consensus is get a "B" gun. Browning, Beretta, or Benelli. Get a gas gun if you want less recoil. An inertia gun if you want the idea that you have the most reliable. I think the gas guns are as good as the inertia anymore for reliability.

OP
Slugz

Slugz

WKR
Thanks sir. Yes agree with all the above. The majic comment was sarcasm.

We got roughly 800 rounds through one and a little over 1000 on the other.

We did all the internet recommended fixes already thats why I wanted my gunsmith ( another set of eyes) to polish and smooth things. Maybe he catches something we missed.

Thanks sir. Yes agree with all the above. The majic comment was sarcasm.

We got roughly 800 rounds through one and a little over 1000 on the other.

We did all the internet recommended fixes already thats why I wanted my gunsmith ( another set of eyes) to polish and smooth things. Maybe he catches something we missed.

I'd say time to move on. The money spent on the gunsmith could be going towards a new gun, which at this point I think is probably where you are headed anyways.

KurtR

WKR
This was my biggest concern going to a semi. Having shot a wingmaster my dad bought in 1979 when I was born since I was 12 I am used to bang every time I pull the trigger. Ended up with a franchi affinity 3 and so far it has cycled and shot every thing. It felt the best out of all the guns I handled. I got the 3 as I have never used 3.5 and with today’s ammo didn’t see the need. Planning on putting it to the real test this spring on snow geese. See how I feel next year at this time.

OP
Slugz

Slugz

WKR
My son has a 20g Franchi. Shoots well. No issues during turkey or dove seasons.

TJNM

FNG
Was thinking about getting the wife hooked up w a stoeger. Maybe not.
Im running a franchi affinity 3 and it runs anything I've put in it. First shells i ran through it were light field loads and it ran all 100 rnds without a hiccup.

I once saw a stoeger's bolt head assembly sheer off and eject out the ejector on a goose hunt. He sent the gun in and it was replaced promptly. The very next hunt the exact same thing happen. I will never own a stoeger after that. I do think it had to do with the Remington Nitro Steel Mag loads; however, nobody else's gun had an issue with them.

I've owned Franchi's, Benelli's, Browing's and Winchesters. All great guns.

Correction: I'm sorry guys, I misremembered as this was many years ago... It was actually a Mossberg... Disregard my previous rant about Stoeger :)

My bro bought a used one from a guy with less than 100 shots through it. Guy said it would not cycle. We broke it down took the packing grease out, applied a light coat of light CLP and ran 100 heavy loads through it. Cycles skeet loads down to 20 degrees no problem. Should say he doesnt duck hunt with it where the temperatures, moisture, dirt and fast shooting make for a serious set of conditions on any gun. Id agree with the others on here, money better spent on a new gun. My 12 ga Montefeltro has been flawless for 3 years of skeet and upland shooting with a handful of duck hunts. Got my first triple on wild bobs this year and that gun cycled like a full auto!

OP
Slugz

Slugz

WKR
Just put the Franchi through 10 days of cold , dust and a little mud goose hunts. Worked well no isssues.

I CLP ed my Stoeger, rounded/filed/smoothed some more surfaces. Used Tetra oil on the rails and worked fine in all conditions. Will give it two more weeks of abuse during goose season here and will see how we end up.

TripleJ

WKR
My M3500 has served me well for the last 7 years. I’ve had a few failure to cycle incidents but only when it was completely filthy. If I clean it a couple times a season it works great. Every manufacturer has lemons though. Sounds like a new gun might be the best move for you. I’m on my 3rd season with an SX4 and it has been flawless.

JonS

WKR
I have a 3000, do they need the same clean and file as the 3500's? I haven't taken it apart yet, shot the over under, but may take it for Turkey, so will shoot soon.
Thanks

OP
Slugz

Slugz

WKR
I have a 3000, do they need the same clean and file as the 3500's? I haven't taken it apart yet, shot the over under, but may take it for Turkey, so will shoot soon.
Thanks
Im far from the expert but my guess would be yes.

OP
Slugz

Slugz

WKR
So the update is......still sucks. Doesnt like any dirt and cold at all. Should have limited out today but didnt as it never cycled past the 1st shell.

Clean she works great.

OP
Slugz

Slugz

WKR
Update. 2022.

After a 10 day straight dark goose hunt in all weather.

Franchi Affinity chews through the dust, dirt and grime. Not one misfire, jam or issue.

SBE3 did the same. Only issue was after loading if you sat it down to hard on its butt end you may or may not get the famous Bennelli click. No issues though with the dust, dirt and grime.

Stoeger 3500. Its gotta be cleaned after every shoot. Cold doesnt like it. Wet and cold and look out. Colorado dirt and grime is a no go in a goose pit.

Interestingly enough Wolf doesnt even carry the spring kits for the Stoeger anymore.

Glad all that have one have had no issues but these things just wont hold up to the daily abuse given to them. Not sure if its manufacturing tolerances or what. The SBE3 is essentially the same mechanically but worked worlds differently.

IMG-20220204-WA0009.jpgIMG-20220205-WA0006.jpgIMG-20220205-WA0005.jpg

Mikido

WKR
I had the opposite experience. I’ve owned a m3000 for several years now. My go to duck and goose gun. I kayak hunt in the salty semi frozen marshes of long island and only clean my gun once a season. Goes boom every time. My only lesson was to loosen and oil the choke after every session. (Took me a week to get it out after that first season. If it weren’t extended, it’s still be there)

Mikido

WKR
Update. 2022.

After a 10 day straight dark goose hunt in all weather.

Franchi Affinity chews through the dust, dirt and grime. Not one misfire, jam or issue.

SBE3 did the same. Only issue was after loading if you sat it down to hard on its butt end you may or may not get the famous Bennelli click. No issues though with the dust, dirt and grime.

Stoeger 3500. Its gotta be cleaned after every shoot. Cold doesnt like it. Wet and cold and look out. Colorado dirt and grime is a no go in a goose pit.

Interestingly enough Wolf doesnt even carry the spring kits for the Stoeger anymore.

Glad all that have one have had no issues but these things just wont hold up to the daily abuse given to them. Not sure if its manufacturing tolerances or what. The SBE3 is essentially the same mechanically but worked worlds differently.

View attachment 378661View attachment 378663View attachment 378664
How are you getting dirt into your gun on a field hunt?