Stone Glacier M7 vs Jetstream

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
Has anybody owned both that can give a good comparison between the two? I know the Jetsteam is really popular but I can't seem to find much on the M7.

I actually think these two pieces are very comparable and could use them in very similar ways.

Both windproof soft shell-jacket. M7 is obviously waterproof as well. I think the M7 is overall a better choice as a mid/late season outerwear jacket.

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
Bumping because I am looking at both of these. Any input? Also do either one have removeable hoods?

Last edited:
Bumping because I am looking at both of these. Any input?
The Sitka cold front as mention above is a better comparison. M7 is just a lighter more breathable version IMO

M7 is a four way stretchish hardshell. It is warm. For me It’s a late season active jacket, mid season inactive jacket.

The biggest difference is jet stream is more soft-shell textile, m7 more hardshell textile. As far as rain or snow Jet stream isn’t seam sealed, m7 is.

I ski in my M7 if that helps. It’s breathable and cuts wind well but I wouldn’t use it for an archery hunt

slowelk

WKR
The Sitka cold front as mention above is a better comparison. M7 is just a lighter more breathable version IMO

M7 is a four way stretchish hardshell. It is warm. For me It’s a late season active jacket, mid season inactive jacket.

The biggest difference is jet stream is more soft-shell textile, m7 more hardshell textile. As far as rain or snow Jet stream isn’t seam sealed, m7 is.

I ski in my M7 if that helps. It’s breathable and cuts wind well but I wouldn’t use it for an archery hunt

To be clear, the M7 is defined as a soft-shell. Someone more knowledgeable than me can probably explain why.

M7 v Jetstream - the M7 has a more technical fit (less boxy), sheds water better, doesn't breathe as well.

To be clear, the M7 is defined as a soft-shell. Someone more knowledgeable than me can probably explain why.

M7 v Jetstream - the M7 has a more technical fit (less boxy), sheds water better, doesn't breathe as well.
The whole premise of a soft shell is warmth, stretch and breathability. Kuiu guide is a true softshell. SG De havillland Jacket is a true soft shell

M7 is a stretch hardshell compared to any true soft shell jacket.

Like I said it a very stretchy hardshell but that’s also why the m7 fabric sheds water better then the jetsteam, it’s a tighter weave. Jet stream was a true softshell until they added wind blocker to it, which is just a stretched and flattened out gen 1 goretex membrane. It’s not seam sealed so it will leak at seam before making the panels do.

I’d say the m7 is kind of like Mountain hardwares Stretch ozone rain jacket but with a fleece backer

I prefer the m7 over jet stream, not because one is better, the M7 is just better later into the season.

For early season I prefer heavyweight fleece and Sitka flash for chilly morning glassing and rain.

That’s just my opinion. If you are going to wear the M7 between 30-40degree hiking, you won’t want much under it.

Best way I can discribe is in December I’d go skiing with m7, spring break would be more Sitka jet stream, but jet stream would hold more moisture.

OP
Jermh

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up buying the Jetstream just a month or two ago when they were on sale everywhere. Obviously haven't really worn it seeing as how it's the buttcrack of summer but it seems nice for what I need it for

I have both of these jackets.
They’re similar I guess, other than 1 being water proof and the other one not waterproof. If choosing between the two I’d buy the m7

Personally, I don't see how this isn't a clear and obvious choice. The M7 weighs less, costs less, and does more than the jetstream...

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
Well I just received my M7 about an hour ago. Its actually my first SG product. I have all FL and others. Let's just say I'm blown away by the quality. The fit is perfect for me. (I got a large and I'm 6' 185lbs with 34 waist) I knew the sleeves would be long but they're not TOO long. You can easily cinch it with the Velcro straps. The fit is athletic (sleeves tighter etc). I only had to try it on once before I cut off the tags and said "I'm keepin it!" The ONLY thing I don't care for is that its noisier than I would like it to be. Maybe that will change over time(?)
They have a really nice catalog too.
I'm super pleased and looking forward to getting more clothing items from SG. Not sure about their packs yet because I have one of those "crummy" Metcalfs lol.

Edit....
I just noticed its made in Vietnam. Not mad. That's where my "crummy Metcalf" was made.

Last edited: