Stone Glacier Pack Review – Solo Bag, 2013

Lexington

FNG
Last Winter I got pretty serious about doing some hunts in Alaska and one of the main requirements for Fly-Out operations is that you limit your gear to no more than 50lbs.

I started to do the math: why buy 8-10lb packs designed by Barneys and Mystery Ranch, where with new carbon fiber technologies there are more than adequate options in the 3-4lb range!?!

This started to lead me down the ‘ultra-light’ path, and through lots of research I found Kurt Racicot’s company “Stone Glacier” out of Bozeman, MT.

I wanted a pack that had:
- Functional Load Lifters
- Minimal weight (less gadgety pockets, zippers, elasticity stuff)
- A load-shelf so I didn't need to carry the meat inside the bag itself
- That was designed for hunting conditions, not rucking around military munitions
- Could comfortably carry up to 100lbs if necessary

Kurt is a sheep-hunter – and it doesn’t take long to figure out that he is serious about traveling as light as possible. And it makes sense: when you spend days & weeks every year traversing Up/Down the mountainsides, crossing frigid rivers , glassing distant ridge-lines then moving to close the distance, you need to conserve every ounce of energy for the hunt in-and-of-itself, and it doesn’t make sense to waste that energy on hauling around additional weight.

I purchased the Solo Pack last March.
Since that time I’ve backpacked in and hunted Bear (4days), Archery Elk (6days), Mule Deer (4days).
Its also been used for packing Pronghorn, Roosie Elk quarters and a Coastal Blacktail.

Here is my review.
Yes, it is a positive review. This is a great pack.

The Solo Bag + Krux Frame:

When the deliveryman handed over the box, it was comically light.
SERIOUSLY, did I just buy some kind of flimsy daypack?!?

My initial concerns were to make sure I adjusted the straps correctly and fit comfortably into the hip-belt. I’m 6’1” and 215… size 36-38” pants (depending on brand) and barrel chested. Things just don’t fit me normally, unlike you skinny guys built for running and endurance, I’m built to stay in the fight.

I watched Kurt’s YouTube videos and got it loaded up with 40lbs of sand. Took the kids out for a stroller ride around the neighborhood and by the time I was back had decided the pack was a ‘keeper’. Its Light, Comfortable, and it moves with your body – the suspension system is years ahead of other pack makers and the weight rides evenly distributed across your hips.

In particular, I like the packs narrow design – it stays in-line with where you are headed and you don’t run into issues with it catching on branches or other foliage.

The 3300ci forces you to streamline your packing – and, don’t kid yourself about they style of hunting you will be doing with this pack.
I’m talking barebones.

For a 5-day backpacking early-season hunt, I was just barely able to fit everything in (ex-puff layers which I didn’t need for this Sept. hunt).

The most I had the pack loaded up to this Fall was 80lbs, it carried that weight without any issues and I was as comfortable as to be expected.

Here are some of the accessories I purchased:

Lumbar Pad
I purchased it, but quickly realized I didn’t need it.
Me thinks most guys are overly sensitive to this, but the hip-belt structure that Kurt’s designed is really solid.

Weapon Sling
Used this on my Bear and Mule Deer trips – it works great and keeps your gun secure but still accessible.
Never had an issue with accidentally releasing it – overall is a great design.

Access Bag
I purchased this for my Spotter, Tripod and binos (when not around my chest). There is enough room for my First Aid Kit, some snacks and other items you might want to keep accessible.

Load Cell Dry Bag

Functions as described. When its full of meat, it fits perfectly onto the load-shelf .

CONCLUSIONS
Think about it this way:
1. Bush Pilot drops you off on distant gravel-bar and you proceed to hike into mountains.
2. Once at general location, you setup your camp and start spotting for Rams…
3. When desired quarry is located you leave basecamp to pursue your trophy.
4. Upon successful stalk, you tag and bag trophy and pack’em back to basecamp (will probably be raining and dark for this part of the hunt).
5. Rest for a day where you flesh, cape and rest up for final push
6. Pack up entire camp + Sheep Horns, Cape and Meat and head back to original gravel bar to be picked up by said Bush Pilot.

The Solo bag is designed for this kind of hunt and will get the job done.

While this is a more extreme example of what the pack can do, it's more than applicable for Western Elk and Mule Deer hunting too - in most situations guys are either Horse-Packed into drop-camps or hike-in on their own, then operate in a predetermined area where you know there is a water source, glassable country and decent game populations.

But be aware of the seasons and gear necessities.
I use a synthetic puff layers and a Ultralamina Sleeping bag and need for room for later-season hunts.
For this I just picked up the Terminus bag off the Classifieds.
I will be running the Solo bag for my Aug/Sept/Oct hunts, then transition to the Termimus for High-Country/Snow conditions.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Either way, the Stone Glacier system is my “go-to” for packs and packing.

[Pic of my Hunting Partner & some Western Scenery...]
Elk.jpg

Last edited:
Great write up and review.

I have had my Solo bag for one year now and one of the few guys that needs the lumbar pad. I have very narrow hips and just a bit too much gut to keep the belt up on my hips.

I found Kurt to be very responsive to emails and happy to help with any questions or problems. His customer service is first rate.

I have very happy with the pack and will purchase more for the rest of the family.

stephen b

WKR
Great review- thanks.

Yes- the SG packs are the real deal. Very light weight and they perform wonderfully. I also have a Solo, and may add one of the other bags later.

Fletch

FNG
Thanks for the review. I have been looking at bags about the size of the Solo for weekend type trips. I have been thinking the Solo so I can try out the frame and suspension and if I like it probably buy the Terminus to replace my Mystery Ranch 6500 NICE. The Mystery Ranch is a nice bag but I am getting tired of carrying around a 10lbs bag.

Riplip

WKR
Thoughts on using the Solo as a day pack? Their approach pack seems like it would be too small for a full all day pack?

The solo works great as a daypack also, cinches down very nicely.

As stated earlier, the narrow profile is nice for getting through the thick stuff and the pack doesn't stick up so bad that you can't get under stuff.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got the solo and the approach system. I mainly use the approach for everything including spikecamping for about 2 days. Any longer than that, I would go with the solo. Amazing packs.

Randy

Attachments

• hunting 2013 028.jpg
    hunting 2013 028.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 269
  • daves trip photos 036.jpg
    daves trip photos 036.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 255
  • daves trip photos 137.jpg
    daves trip photos 137.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 242
  • salmon hunting trip 008.jpg
    salmon hunting trip 008.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 232
  • salmon hunting trip 045.jpg
    salmon hunting trip 045.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 233

tttoadman

WKR
I got the solo for this year. I hunted sept and November packed up for 8-10 days. Easy to do with a couple dry bags strapped to sides. I had a 4 day pack that fit in the bag pretty tight. I started carrying better emergency gear and kill kit this year after I stepped up to this bag from a smaller lumbar pack. I found this bag even with the extra weight to be almost unnoticeable while hunting. It packed my day gear and a full load of mule deer just as advertised. The pack and frame can out perform me.

eleaf

FNG
I'm thinking getting this pack with the Approach system. Pack all my stuff in, take off the solo and go with the Approach as a day pack.

Thanks for the review.