Stone Glacier SKY 5100 in the 3500 Mode

Stone Glacier SKY 5100 in the 3500 Mode ***UPDATE Now Back to the 5100 Mode

sg1-2.jpg

For the past year, I’ve been in search of a pack that would adapt to my varied needs as a traveling bowhunter. Ideally, I was searching for one frame with a single bag or at the very most two which could be used as a day pack and a multi-day pack with meat hauling capabilities.

Here in Hawaii, we’re able to hunt year round, but many areas don’t allow for bivy hunting so I wouldn't need a large capacity bag for those trips. Something in the 3000ci range with meat hauling capabilities would be perfect for my island excursions.

For my upcoming Fall hunts in North America, I would need a pack that would be able to carry all my equipment to camp with the ability to spike out from there. Additionally, if I could use the same pack for short day trips while in the backcountry, I would have the best of both worlds.

After much research, I discovered that there were a few packs that fit the bill. With this type of investment, it took a while for me to make a decision. It was Stone Glacier’s customer service that finally sold me. Once I decided on which company to go with, it was time to select a specific pack. At first, I was torn between the SOLO and the SKY5100. I ended up purchasing the the SKY 5100 due to what I felt was a unique bag which was transformable.

Upon receiving the pack, the first thing that I did was watch the instructional video for proper fit. After loading the pack with weight as advised, I threw on my pack to adjust the shoulder straps. The hook and loop attachment points made for easy and infinite adjustments. I was able to get the straps to fit perfectly given my torso height, plus I was able to adjust the straps slightly to sit closer to trapezius muscles rather than sitting closer to my shoulder. Next was adjusting my waist belt. Taking the advice given by the owner of Stone Glacier, I upgraded to the 3 pc belt. The medium sized belt fit my 29” waist perfectly. I adjusted the small foam insert (provided for the lumbar pad) until it sat comfortably in my lumbar region. After my initial adjustment, I took the weighted pack for a quick walk. At first, I only loaded the pack to 35lbs. I was impressed with how well the frame handled a minimum load. Being 5’6” and a 145lbs, I usually have a hard time getting my hunting packs to fit correctly, but this wasn’t the case with the Stone Glacier.

Next, I was curious to see the carrying capacity of the 5100 bag. I unloaded everything from my storage unit. Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, water filter, all my kits, extra clothes, food, etc... Everything fit, plus I had room to spare. It would be a while until my Fall hunts, so I put all my equipment back and focused on the day pack mode.

I jumped backed on the internet and watched the video on how to transform the bag from the 5100 mode to the 3500 mode. Removed the hood, adjusted a few of the top webbings and in a couple minutes, I had a front load day pack. On my island day hunts, I usually pack my DSLR, tripod, food, 3L water bladder, deboning kit, first aid kit, rain jacket and other accessories. All my equipment fit with ease. The front load with twin sliders was a great addition to this pack. I was able to access the top, middle or bottom of the bag with ease. Given that this pack has three compression straps on each side as well as two on the bottom allowed for a maximum or minimum amount of load carrying with no slop.

After experimenting with the bag, I removed it to fiddle with the KRuX frame and load shelf. The frame also allowed for further versatility. I would able to pack additional gear in a dry bag, store my water bladder or carry out deboned meat. Given the design, I was able to use the frame stand alone or in conjunction with my bag. And once again, the compression straps on the pack and load shelf on the frame would secure everything fully in place.

Once I got accustomed to the features of the pack, it was time to take it into the field. For the first trip, I decided to take it into some steep, uneven and thick terrain. If I could maneuver well though this specific hunting area, I knew this pack would work out well for my applications. Given that I’m short, I was worried about the stays in the thick vegetation. I was pleasantly surprised that I only got hung up a few times. I believe that part of it is due to the fact that the top of the bag completely covers the stays and the frame moves well in conjunction with the twists of your body while ducking and maneuvering through low hanging branches and thick brush. Climbing was the next step. I was curious to see if the design of the waist belt would impede my ability to climb. I climbed some pretty steep stuff that day with no issues. Before heading downhill, I decided to see if I could shift the weight in my bag. I opened the front load, rearranged a few things and lashed everything down. Everything remained in place the entire trek downhill. My last test for the day was to see if I could shoot with the pack on. I drew my bow back a few times. Nothing got in the way of my bowstring. Fired a few shots with my blunts, uphill, downhill, crouched and kneeling. No problems there either! My last test for the Islands will be to haul out deboned meat. Only one way to find that out, hopefully it’ll be soon!

I’ve been out a few times after that and the more I use this pack the more I like it! Each time, I try something different in terms arranging the pack. Most recently, I’ve been playing around with my three liter water bladder. When I first got the pack, I hung it in the bag, but now, I’ve got it sitting in the load shelf, compressed between the frame and bag. In terms of organization, I still need to purchase a few more accessories as I only have the belt pockets and it sounds like Kurt’s working on a few additional items. Can’t wait to see what he has in store!

This is definitely one versatile pack that I’m extremely satisfied with. Hopefully in a couple months, I’ll be able to run the 5100 through it’s paces in the backcountry! I’ll be sure to keep everyone posted as it’ll be part two of my SKY 5100 pack review.

Aloha from Hawaii!

Ryan Sanpei

Last edited:
OP
Ryan K Sanpei
sg2-1.jpg

Training in elevation. (Mauna Kea, Hawaii reaches 13,796')

SG.jpg

Glassing for Spanish Goats.

sg21.jpg

Lunch break.

muleman

WKR
Ryan nice write up.

I'm really digging the SKY bags too. From the description of your needs; I think you made the right choice getting the 5100 over the Solo.

What are the non-resident hunting opportunities like in Hawaii?

SDHNTR

WKR
I recognize some of those spots! That country is as extreme as anywhere and a darn good place to vet a pack. Great write up buddy!

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Thank you for the kind words muleman!
It really depends on a few things. The island you'd like to visit, type of animal you want to pursue and if you want to hunt private or public land.

Shoot me a pm if you're interested in more details.

Aloha!
Ryan

Last edited:
OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Thanks Nate!

Would this be why you recognized some of those spots???

nate4.jpg

Nate pointing at his quarry.

nate3.jpg

With a textbook shot, the billy only went a short distance.

nate2.jpg

Nate's hard earned public land billy.

nate1.jpg

Heading out with a heavy pack. Time for some poke and beers!

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
High Country,
The pattern itself is Evade's "OmniVeil". It was designed and developed by TUSX Hunter Apparel.
Let me know if you got any questions.
Thank you!
Ryan

Last edited:

Jager

WKR
Great write up and pics Ryan, great to see the Tusx apparel too, well thought out hunting clothing.

SDHNTR

WKR
Tusx is awesome stuff for hot weather hunting. Really well designed with great ventilation.

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
With about two weeks away, I've turned my bag back into a 5100 and have started to organize all my gear. First, I wanted to find a way to pack my bow for the long hauls. Luckily, I have a takedown recurve, so my bow, arrows and quiver fits in the spotting scope bag. The spotter will go on the other side to help balance the load. Then once I get to camp, I'll rearrange everything given the fact that these bags are detachable.

IMG_4886-1.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the looks of that system Ryan....I'm using a takedown longbow and will do the same thing. I had it strapped along the back of the pack with the webbing and my arrows in a Gold Tip tube, but it's fairly cobbled together looking and not particularly protected when I lay the pack down. Good information, thanks.