Stone Glacier SkyScraper vs Hilleberg Rogen

JakeShmevans

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Like the title said, looking for some user comparisons between the two. Will mostly be used when I bring the dog or wife. Anytime of the year in Montana.

Currently I have some smaller Hilleberg’s and had the original SG and didn’t like setup/materials so I’m leaning to Hilleberg.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
While the web truss setup is a bit goofy, it really shines in the wind. I know the fly material was updated from the original release a bit when they added the pass through vent. The internal guy lines, strength, and weight are where the SG shines. It is also past vertical and lots of length/headroom on the interior beyond what almost every other tent has of that layout - meaning it is a lot more comfortable and an actual 2P tent.

The Rogen is a very similar tent and having had a hilleberg, I could see really being happy with those materials. 80D is well beyond the point of "bomber" for a floor, and their fly fabrics are first rate, as is the linked inner tent system. I think the dimensions and volume of the slingfin/SG tent are superior and more flexible for "all year" use, but no doubt the buffer hilleberg floor would be better for dealing with dogs.

OP
JakeShmevans

JakeShmevans

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
While the web truss setup is a bit goofy, it really shines in the wind. I know the fly material was updated from the original release a bit when they added the pass through vent. The internal guy lines, strength, and weight are where the SG shines. It is also past vertical and lots of length/headroom on the interior beyond what almost every other tent has of that layout - meaning it is a lot more comfortable and an actual 2P tent.

The Rogen is a very similar tent and having had a hilleberg, I could see really being happy with those materials. 80D is well beyond the point of "bomber" for a floor, and their fly fabrics are first rate, as is the linked inner tent system. I think the dimensions and volume of the slingfin/SG tent are superior and more flexible for "all year" use, but no doubt the buffer hilleberg floor would be better for dealing with dogs.
Kind of what I was thinking having owned the original SG and other Hilleberg’s. It’s definitely splitting hairs but it’s tough to pick one.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Aren't they coming out with a Rogen 3 for 2024?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

as.ks.ak

WKR
Tents are hard. Everyone has their own opinion and feelings on certain features etc.

I have been a Hilleberg drum pounder and proud owner. I’ve slept in the niak, allak, akto, enan, Kaitum, nallo, anjan and Rogen.

All have different pros/cons. I have to say: I most recently got my hands on a SG skyscraper 2p through an online auction…I only intended on running the bids up in the name of conservation and I ended up winning the tent.

I never wanted the skyscraper. And I had zero intent on keeping it. Figured what the heck, I’ll set it up and check it out.

I may sell my enan and anjan 2 after i spend all year putting the SG 2p through its paces…if it holds up like I think it will, it may be my new go to tent. I’m in love with the design and how thought out it all is. Martin at sling fin outdid himself with the designs of that thing…I’m more than impressed. The webtruss design is pretty slick. Run it without the inner tent if you want. But the inner is so comfy and (I think) will
Vent so well that the weight savings of leaving it behind may be at a serious loss in comfort…

I’ve been a hille tent snob for almost a Decade now, here I am drinking someone else’s Kool aid… when I see something that just makes sense, I can’t help but want to use it. It checks more boxes than I ever thought it would for me. I am shocked at how I feel about this tent after seeing it in person.

So all that being said, I’d say you oughta try and see them both in person. You may be surprised at what you decide. I know after my experience most recently, I am.

Last edited:
OP
JakeShmevans

JakeShmevans

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Tents are hard. Everyone has their own opinion and feelings on certain features etc.

I have been a Hilleberg drum pounder and proud owner. I’ve slept in the niak, allak, akto, enan, Kaitum, nallo, anjan and Rogen.

All have different pros/cons. I have to say. I most recently got my hands on a SG skyscraper 2p through an online auction…I only intended on running the bids up in the name of conservation and I ended up winning the tent.

I never wanted the skyscraper. And I had zero intent on keeping it. Figured what the heck, I’ll set it up and check it out.

I may sell my enan and anjan 2 after i spend all year putting the SG 2p through its paces…if it holds up like I think it will, it may be my new go to tent. I’m in love with the design and how thought out it all is. Martin at sling fin outdid himself with the designs of that thing…I’m more than impressed. The webtruss design is pretty slick. Run it without the inner tent if you want. But the inner is so comfy and (I think) will
Vent so well that the weight savings of leaving it behind may be at a serious loss in comfort…

I’ve been a hille tent snob for almost a Decade now, here I am drinking someone else’s Kool aid… when I see something that just makes sense, I can’t help but not want to use it. It checks more boxes than I ever thought it would for me. I am shocked at how I feel about this tent after getting it in person.

So all that being said, I’d say you oughta try and see them both in person. You may be surprised at what you decide. I know after my experience most recently, I am.
I’m thinking this may be my best option. I will have to save up to try out the Rogen as I don’t know anybody with one.

I have a kaitum 2 GT on the way. Will be using it solo or with my hunting buddy. The extended vestibule is great as it’s more than enough room for gear and my two dogs. Vestibule is big enough to sleep a 3rd person if you’re in a pinch. Probably more weight then you want to carry though..

Your more then welcome to come check it out. Located in Big Sky. Also just bought a SG 6p Skydome. Martin sure is a genius when it comes to tent making. Former lead tent designer at North Face and co founded Mountain Hardware. I really like the Skyscraper, but at 6’5 it was just too small.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have a kaitum 2 GT on the way. Will be using it solo or with my hunting buddy. The extended vestibule is great as it’s more than enough room for gear and my two dogs. Vestibule is big enough to sleep a 3rd person if you’re in a pinch. Probably more weight then you want to carry though..

Your more then welcome to come check it out. Located in Big Sky. Also just bought a SG 6p Skydome. Martin sure is a genius when it comes to tent making. Former lead tent designer at North Face and co founded Mountain Hardware. I really like the Skyscraper, but at 6’5 it was just too small.

You take the inner out of the Kaitum and you can fit 4 in it. It turns in to a palace. Nortent Vern 2 is an interesting option as well, comes with a stove jack. Best if both worlds, free standing and a stove jack. Weight is high for one person carry. Removing the inner cuts like 37oz though.

I don't know how Hilleberg can justify the huge increases in their prices over the last 12 mths or so. I currently own a Saivo and a Nammatj 3 GT. 12 mths ago you could get a Saivo for (aussie $2300), now it's $3550.00. I paid $1650 for my Saivo 8 yrs ago and about $1400 for the Nammatj. Both are excellent for what we use them for snow camping and hunting base camps. Even taking Covid into consideration these prices are steep. Sure I bought them a fair while ago but to double in price ??? The Saivo has only had a tweak to the vestibule as far as I can see.

You take the inner out of the Kaitum and you can fit 4 in it. It turns in to a palace. Nortent Vern 2 is an interesting option as well, comes with a stove jack. Best if both worlds, free standing and a stove jack. Weight is high for one person carry. Removing the inner cuts like 37oz though.

That’s another reason when I opted for Kaitum. Just wish the vent had a bug screen like the Black label. So versatile!

d_worno-1986

Lil-Rokslider

All have different pros/cons. I have to say: I most recently got my hands on a SG skyscraper 2p through an online auction…I only intended on running the bids up in the name of conservation and I ended up winning the tent.

I’ve been a hille tent snob for almost a Decade now, here I am drinking someone else’s Kool aid… when I see something that just makes sense, I can’t help but want to use it. It checks more boxes than I ever thought it would for me. I am shocked at how I feel about this tent after seeing it in person.

Have you tried to set up without the inner tent yet? I know you said you just got it, but Im curious if it works well like that. I usually run my tents floorless and bring my borah bivy

as.ks.ak

WKR
Have you tried to set up without the inner tent yet? I know you said you just got it, but Im curious if it works well like that. I usually run my tents floorless and bring my borah bivy

I did. It will absolutely work…and I generally use mine that way as well. But that inner tent is so thought out I think I’ll be keeping it installed and using that tent the way Martin intended. That side entrance design is just too awesome. I’ve been nothing but a tunnel tent owner, so i think expanding my horizons to the freestanding world may spoil me on pitch-ability in broken country. Which is where I seem to always want to make camp.

But honestly if interested at all in the SG skyscraper, I highly suggest getting your mitts on it. You won’t be disappointed.

d_worno-1986

Lil-Rokslider
I did. It will absolutely work…and I generally use mine that way as well. But that inner tent is so thought out I think I’ll be keeping it installed and using that tent the way Martin intended. That side entrance design is just too awesome. I’ve been nothing but a tunnel tent owner, so i think expanding my horizons to the freestanding world may spoil me on pitch-ability in broken country. Which is where I seem to always want to make camp.

But honestly if interested at all in the SG skyscraper, I highly suggest getting your mitts on it. You won’t be disappointed.
yeah I agree that the side entrance is really nice. I just got done running the akto, decided I need a little more space. Was planning to go with the Nallo 2GT or the Kaitum. But I had also ran the MSR Hubba Tour tents for a while and absolutely loved them, so I'm actually leaning into going back that direction again too.

OP
JakeShmevans

JakeShmevans

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I don't know how Hilleberg can justify the huge increases in their prices over the last 12 mths or so. I currently own a Saivo and a Nammatj 3 GT. 12 mths ago you could get a Saivo for (aussie $2300), now it's $3550.00. I paid $1650 for my Saivo 8 yrs ago and about $1400 for the Nammatj. Both are excellent for what we use them for snow camping and hunting base camps. Even taking Covid into consideration these prices are steep. Sure I bought them a fair while ago but to double in price ??? The Saivo has only had a tweak to the vestibule as far as I can see.
I definitely agree on this, however, I’m fortunate to get them discounted so it’s a little easier to justify.