Stone Glacier Solo 3300 + Serac

PennDude

FNG
Anybody have experience with using the Serac as a way to expand the Solo 3300s volume? I'm wondering how tightly it will be held to the 3300 bag. I don't want to end up with the Serac flopping around loosely.

Surprised no one has answered, given that this bag is listed as being capable for precisely what you are talking about. Any takers??

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

huntcoop

WKR
I have both at home but never thought of slapping them together as the 3300 has always been enough bag. Overall the Serac is fairly small on its own so I can't see it being too floppy. Will have a look this evening.

OP
P

PennDude

FNG
Surprised no one has answered, given that this bag is listed as being capable for precisely what you are talking about. Any takers??

I know, right? I ordered the Solo 3300 and it was delivered today, so I'm gonna try it out. Although, the more I look at the Exo 40/56, the more tempted I am to exchange the Solo 330 for it. I'm just waiting to see pictures of the Exo's side zip and how difficult it would be to load.

OP
P

PennDude

FNG
The Serac fits so nicely onto the Solo 3300 that I can't see any reason to buy the Access bag over the Serac, if the extra $90 wasn't an issue. At least the Serac serves a dual purpose as a day pack as well as a bag extension.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Serac bag rides really nicely on the Solo 3300. I can't wait to try this out in the field. Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Question would the lid straps reach the top of serac? Do you feel it would need it to keep it in place?
0944305dab154a4bfed9fc7f2a4a37b1.jpg

OP
P

PennDude

FNG
Question would the lid straps reach the top of serac? Do you feel it would need it to keep it in place?
QUOTE]

I think the lid straps would reach, but I can confirm whenever I get home. The Serac seemed very secure without them attached.

OP
P

PennDude

FNG
Updated pics for the Serac and the Solo 3300. Top straps DO attach. With all the compression straps pulled tight, this setup is SOLID. I don't foresee and load shifting.
w0BgZ0e.jpg

bPKr9Fp.jpg

qlP2WHW.jpg

xDZx2n4.jpg

h6hvRAK.jpg

That is a pretty slick set up. Although the 5900 would do the exact same thing for a little less.
That's what I had been wrestling with.... Less weight and money... And yet I just ordered the solo, access bag, and lid....

bmart2622

WKR
I went back and forth too and its hard to fully understand how well the 5900 compresses until you actually see it. Solo, Serac, and lid will get you close to the same ci its just more money. The Solo and access bag is literally almost the same thing as the 5900 with its front pocket except the pocket is permanently attached instead of removable like the access bag. Bottom line they are all SG products so they are top notch and either setup will be awesome. I feel the 5900 is more efficient and versatile.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hard to tell from pictures, are the straps long enough if you had a meat load along with those bags?

bmart2622

WKR
They are pretty long and obviously they will reach the Solo for sure but they do make an extension set of straps that would reach.

OP
P

PennDude

FNG
That is a pretty slick set up. Although the 5900 would do the exact same thing for a little less.

You're probably right. However, I like having 3 pack options with this setup. Sometimes it's nice to just have a little day pack option, which the Serac provides.

bmart2622

WKR
Thats true. If I already owned a Solo I would probably add the Serac instead of getting a whole new bag. That setup will be slick though, load the Serac with camp gear and day gear in the Solo; get to campmand undo a couple buckles to drop the Serac and you are ready to hunt.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
im planning on getting a solo and leaving it onmy x-curve. I'm personally not trying to get a small bag and expand my capacity, I just plan to use it for weekend/long weekend hunts. I have a kifaru Fulcrum (and a tahr and a mountain warrior, nomad, guide lid,tons of pockets...etc for setting up something for a longer hunt).

Anyways, i think the solo will be perfect for shorter hunts and faster paced backacking trips, day hunts etc.