Strategy for Bull

I was in an OTC unit in CO this weekend glassing early am on a ridge when an absolute toad stepped out in a clearing behind me 60 yards. He was only in the open 30 seconds before taking a trail across the mountain face and I think heading to a bedding area I found the day before. Tried to wait for him to bed and get the wind right that day but couldn't find him. The unit was absolutely silent. Nothing responds to calls, deadfall is horrendous and thick Timber. I went back the next morning and set up along that same trail he took but didn't show.

What would be a good strategy for this bull? Quick game camera setup to see if he consistently runs that trail? Try to call to him in that area once they are more vocal? He'd be my first archery bull so not sure on strategy targeting a specific bull.

That's exciting and what keeps us all coming back for more!

Depends if there are cows around. If you found him in a pre-rut solitary location, and there are not cows in the area, he will eventually move out to find the cows when the rut starts. I might hunt that spot another morning and evening, but after that if he doesn't show- look for another option.

Keep us posted on what you find.,.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If he was a "toad" then I would expect him to be the dominant bull in that area. Knowing that, if it were me..........I'd let him know that there was a mature bull with an attitude in the area. They don't like that very much and can't really help themselves......they have to check you out. But you had better make sure your calling is up to snuff or it will be over before it even starts.

OP
J
That's exciting and what keeps us all coming back for more!

Depends if there are cows around. If you found him in a pre-rut solitary location, and there are not cows in the area, he will eventually move out to find the cows when the rut starts. I might hunt that spot another morning and evening, but after that if he doesn't show- look for another option.

Keep us posted on what you find.,.

He was solitary but we did see a few cows in the area. I had to come off the mountain and won't be going up until end of the month. He was the only action in that unit and I'm not too attached to it and was definitely going somewhere else before he stepped out.

If it’ll be that long until you go back you’re starting from the ground up. Definitely good to know a little part of his territory though.