turning a bull around

Gerbdog

WKR
Had an encounter over the weekend where i called in a good bull, super pissed off cause i got between his cows and him (thanks for the tip Elknut! that challenge worked like a charm in that situation) and he came into 20 yards but didnt step into my shooting lane... i know i know... my bad, didnt watch my setup well enough.

So after he backed off a bit, we just kept challenging / cutting each other off / super angry with each other and i dogged him at 60 yards for 2 hours (no kidding) and never got a shot through the trees, he just kept moving back to his bedding area and cows and led me all over the woods .... whole time it was bugling and sounded super pissed off when i tried calling his cows off of him....

but he never turned around. Never came back to kick my @ss.

Anyone got tips or tricks for turning a bull like this around? I know herd bulls pose their own challenges and i have super limited exposure to herd bulls.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve sprinted at a bull before. High risk move though. It just has to be thick enough that he can’t see you.

OP
Gerbdog

Gerbdog

WKR
I’ve sprinted at a bull before. High risk move though. It just has to be thick enough that he can’t see you.
this particular set of woods had pretty good visibility for elk country, mostly pines but on rocky terrain, so nothing but crispy pine needles underfoot and in sections pretty good visibility

Ucsdryder

WKR
this particular set of woods had pretty good visibility for elk country, mostly pines but on rocky terrain, so nothing but crispy pine needles underfoot and in sections pretty good visibility
That’s a nearly impossible situation in my experience hunting alone. He’ll stand there and scream at you, waiting for you to show yourself. When you don’t he’ll wander off. Been there, done that. Follow him until you can get into thicker timber or have someone behind you calling while you sneak in.

OP
Gerbdog

Gerbdog

WKR
That’s a nearly impossible situation in my experience hunting alone. He’ll stand there and scream at you, waiting for you to show yourself. When you don’t he’ll wander off. Been there, done that. Follow him until you can get into thicker timber or have someone behind you calling while you sneak in.
Appreciate that upfront knowledge on it, what i figured also, i had to be super careful not to expose myself while i was following, he was crafty and if i wasnt super suspicious of him myself i'd have walked right into him watching for me, luckily i was watching for him watching for me haha.

Thanks all for letting me dump encounters as im working and thinking back on the weekend. I try to have a goldfish memory while im in hunting mode but then start analyzing when i have to get back to the work life.

I’ve called elk back after they hung up or suddenly bolted because they didn’t see what they heard. Just has to be the right bull and one who wants to play. Sounds to me like you did everything right. Stay after it! Your persistence is going to pay off!

ElkNut1

WKR
You're welcome!

Dogging a bull with cows once the close encounter goes South you have a slim & none chance to have another opportunity at calling him back especially when you had him at 20 yards! He's wise to you & doesn't buy in again!

Here's an option! -- Since he's bugling enough to follow, let him be with very little to no calling & allow him to get to his bedding area. You'll know they're there once you can tell all elk sounds; (bugles or cow talk) are coming from the same spot, all advancing has stopped by the elk. Get 100 yards or so away with good wind & plenty of cover. Now give 2 soft mews & start raking, keep raking & giving 2 soft mews every 90 seconds or so. Repeat! -- I will add that I've watched bulls rake up to 30 minutes almost non stop from the same spot, most do not but be prepared to do so all the while staying 100% focused as he may slip in silent! DO NOT BUGLE, if you do he will recognize you! Be ready with an arrow nocked, he's going to come!

ElkNut

OP
Gerbdog

Gerbdog

WKR
You're welcome!

Dogging a bull with cows once the close encounter goes South you have a slim & none chance to have another opportunity at calling him back especially when you had him at 20 yards! He's wise to you & doesn't buy in again!

Here's an option! -- Since he's bugling enough to follow, let him be with very little to no calling & allow him to get to his bedding area. You'll know they're there once you can tell all elk sounds; (bugles or cow talk) are coming from the same spot, all advancing has stopped by the elk. Get 100 yards or so away with good wind & plenty of cover. Now give 2 soft mews & start raking, keep raking & giving 2 soft mews every 90 seconds or so. Repeat! -- I will add that I've watched bulls rake up to 30 minutes almost non stop from the same spot, most do not but be prepared to do so all the while staying 100% focused as he may slip in silent! DO NOT BUGLE, if you do he will recognize you! Be ready with an arrow nocked, he's going to come!

ElkNut
Thanks! and that answers another question i had in another thread about being recognized based off my bugle sound. Two fer one.

I have their bedding area pretty well pegged in that area and have tried to leave it undisturbed so far, if i get lucky enough to run into him outside of it or hear him in the bedding area i'll see if i can find a way to sneak in on it (100 yards) like you said.

One time I called in a bull and a limb deflected my arrow and he buggered. Caught up to him and he was feeding with cows. I raked and got his attention. Raked more and got him fired up. Then when he was pretty frothy I raked and he bugled and I cut him off. Then he walked towards me and stopped 60 yards away to rake a tree. Killed him right there.

I'm by no means an expert but if I called in a bull and buggered it, but didn't blow him out of the country, I would persist but try to change things up. New angle, new calling strategy, new call, etc. You need him to think he has encountered a new scenario to confront.

Marble

WKR
I like @ElkNut method.

My observation is satellite bulls know they are not dominant and will get their ass kicked if the bugle anywhere near the herd bull. They stay close monitoring the herd and wait for the chance to steal away a cow. When they find a stray cow, they do whatever they can without giving themselves up to the herd bull. When you act like a satellite bull that is courting a stray cow, the herd bull doesn't like it. It's hard to say what the herd bull will do, I've had them bugle and rake and get all worked up and also sneak in silent.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
Gerbdog

Gerbdog

WKR
Haha, yea i was using Elknuts "mew mew mewintobugle" to call off his cows and that bull made the angriest sounds ive ever heard a bull make when i did...

Worked to call him into me that first time, after that he just made super angry sounds followed by lip bawls... but wouldnt close with me.

Can’t wait to hear the final outcome! Keep after ‘em! When ya heading back out? It’s killing me being here at work this week!

T-town

FNG
Enjoying reading about your hunts and encounters. Keep them coming. Good luck!! You keep getting close and not running him off, you'll get your chance. Patience and continue playing it smart.

Read1t48

WKR
Good stuff! Thanks for sharing. After dogging him for that long, and being in and around the cows, I think I would have considered a couple things...
1. Bull calling cows bugle; knowing I was close to his cows and creating a threat.
2. Let them settle a bit and move over to a cow call that indicates a cow got lost in the move and use a cow buzz, calling him to an action. If he responds back to me (the cow), I would nock an arrow, put cover between me and him and go straight at him with lots of incessant mews like I was super excited and on my way. If he answered, he'd stand right there and eat that arrow. You'd have time to stop and shoot. I know from first hand experience.
3. Let them settle down in their bedding area (assuming they weren't on the constant move); and then change diaphrams to change my bull sounds, giving him the impression that a new bull has moved into the area. Try to call a cow or use a sequence to lead him to believe I had a hot cow. Think ElkNut's SlowPlay.

Super tough one if it’s wider open timber like you said.
I’d try raking and possibly calling less aggressive. See if he turned around.