Strelok pro weather going to high elevation...

Kind of mixed up on this. if I sighted in and trued at 1500 ft, and I go hunt 6500 ft with strelok pro, on the page where I would put the distance I shoot at do I just click weather when I get out of the truck and click the meteo button to get my new conditions? will i need service? I have my zero wether clicked on from when I sighted in so that won't change. Use internal barometer also?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Kind of mixed up on this. if I sighted in and trued at 1500 ft, and I go hunt 6500 ft with strelok pro, on the page where I would put the distance I shoot at do I just click weather when I get out of the truck and click the meteo button to get my new conditions?

No. You need to input the environmental data of where you are physically at, at that moment.

will i need service? I have my zero wether clicked on from when I sighted in so that won't change. Use internal barometer also?

If you are shooting far enough for environmentalists to matter (past 400’ish yards), you need a weather meter and know how to do this.

Jimbee

WKR
No. You need to input the environmental data of where you are physically at, at that moment.

If you are shooting far enough for environmentalists to matter (past 400’ish yards), you need a weather meter and know how to do this.
Is there more to using an app like Strelok than putting in density altitude? (Ignoring wind)

Jimbee

WKR
With regards to?
For calculating how temp, humidity, altitude affect bullet drop. Just wondering if a good idea of density altitude would eliminate need for a weather meter? Apologies for the vague question.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
For calculating how temp, humidity, altitude affect bullet drop. Just wondering if a good idea of density altitude would eliminate need for a weather meter? Apologies for the vague question.

Yes. Density altitude is a combination of the other factors. I don’t think it eliminates the help of a weather meter as you still need the DA (unless pulling actual elevation and temp, then using a chart), and you still really want a wind meter. You dont “need” a weather meter need for DA, but it certainly helps.

With good trued data at your home range, go to new place and measure or calculate DA, input in app and your data is good except for wind speed and any inclination.

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on how small of targets you’re engaging & how far away.

For myself, on game at the max ranges I’m comfortable with, using DA vs figuring all three components individually is a rounding error. I’d be completely comfortable using a known elevation (and standard pressure at that elevation), swagging temperature, and figuring humidity at 50%. I own a fancy Kestrel, and I don’t bring it hunting.

In fact, I usually figure it prior to a hunt in an area, guess at an average temp, and make a drop chart I never need to second guess.