String donuts wearing through serving

Hey all,

So I have a prime centergy hybrid, I like the bow but I keep having issues with the string donuts wearing on and eventually cutting through the serving on the string that connects to the cams. I’ve re served both sides when I notice them wearing (I’ve had to replace a string over this before as well) and also had prime send me replacement donuts just in case my originals had some burring but still having the same result. Anybody else had this issue or found a solution?

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
No, I have a Centergy and a Hybrid. Neither have wear around the doughnuts. 🤷‍♂️ I don't think I've read or heard about it either. Strange

Tanner W

Lil-Rokslider
I have a centergy and started having this problem also, mainly on the top donut. My pro shop said it’s fairly common. No solution that I know of. Maybe a stronger/different serving material?

nowen22

FNG
My buddy’s had that same problem the other day but his is a black series. Only had 25 arrows through it. It blew up while he was at full draw. Really freakin scary. It’s a serious design flaw that they need to address

OP
EchoLimaKilo
Wow, I’d be giving the folks at prime a serious earful if a new bow blew up on me like that. Hope he ended up alright, good way to get hurt. I’ll definitely be more sure to check the wear on the string after hearing that.

And yeah I think I’ll try that bcy halo material now, I think it’s supposed to be more durable, I think I may have just grabbed a cheap spool of serving last time I fixed it anyways. Thanks for the replies guys, good stuff to know.

First I’ve heard of it. I have had Prime since 2016 (two Rivals) and have never seen the issue mentioned on Archery Talk or here. Hopefully you get yours squared away! Good luck.

3forks

WKR
I have a Centergy Hybrid, and have been through a set of strings and two sets of donuts because of the donuts wearing through.

Prime warrantied the strings and sent some new donuts (Kept the bow for a backup - but no longer shooting it).

I shoot a Prime CT9, and also a Black, with no issues so far - but I will be paying more attention after hearing about someone’s Black blowing up.

I did have one of the screws on the bottom cam on the Black back out and start contacting the limb. Easy fix, but the also know of one other bow that this happened to as well.

blkqi

WKR
I think part of the problem here is that G5's factory strings are trash. You should definitely use a Halo (or other high abrasion resistance) serving in this area.

I like the factory Prime strings. I got good string life for a hunting bow carried a lot in the willows caribou and moose hunting. My backup Rival bought used came with an aftermarket string set on it and was way out of spec. The original string set was included and I put them back on...right back to spec. I have not had peep rotation issues with any of the 3 sets I have used. Reminds me that it is time to get another "free" set for the main bow I bought new in 2016.

I haven't seen anything like this on my hybrid or a buddy's black. However I put a set of Catfish strings on mine as soon as I bought it. I believe he is running a non factory string also. It was something I wondered about before I bought the bow and both shops inside research at hadn't had experience with it. Are your cams in good shape? Nothing causing excessive side to side play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
No issues on my centergy I’ve been shooting for two years. Just ordered my free replacement factory strings the other day. Friends with primes have never mentioned issues to me either

OP
EchoLimaKilo
I guess it’s just my luck with the donuts I’ve had. It originally cut a few strands on the factory string and then I switched to catfish customs and it worked through the serving on those as well. I just caught it before it started wearing into the actual string.

Bow is fairly new and cams are in good shape. It’s not the end of the world, I do shoot quite a bit so I don’t mind some level of upkeep and replacing things as they wear. Just want to keep it to a minimum when possible.

I bought one used on AT that had newer aftermarket strings and chewed through the servings in no time, got a set of GAS and chewed through them in 500 shots they sent new yokes and prime sent new donuts and started to see wear again around 3-400 shots my CT5 has buckslayers and I didn’t see any wear till I was over 5,000 shots, it’s definitely a known issue I talked to Shane at Buckslayer about it, he’s not a fan of the prime string sets But I did get my money’s worth for sure on the buckslayers

I have the exact same problem with a prime ct3. Had my yokes servings redone 4 time this year.. Mitch, Canadian represent from prime told me it wasn't something recurent ... they send me new donuts and new yokes.. it didn't changed anything, like you.. please someone help I'm about to sell this thing... Thing is I really like it but its a pain in the ass for the serving/donut thing..

Hey all,

So I have a prime centergy hybrid, I like the bow but I keep having issues with the string donuts wearing on and eventually cutting through the serving on the string that connects to the cams. I’ve re served both sides when I notice them wearing (I’ve had to replace a string over this before as well) and also had prime send me replacement donuts just in case my originals had some burring but still having the same result. Anybody else had this issue or found a solution?
Have you found a solution? Kinda having the exact same problem on my CT3

I think any bow that is designed with sharp angles for the string to be routed through is going to be hard on serving and string manufacturers. No matter how good of a string or serving you have the sharper angle you bend it at is going to cause excessive stress and wear. I have a centergy and have had serving start to unravel around donut and center serving. I replaced the strings with GAS strings and have had really good luck so far. Buy GAS strings and keep the free strings as your emergency backup.

OP
EchoLimaKilo
Yeah at this point I re served them with spectra and they were holding up better. I’d just serve them with the most durable serving you can find and keep an eye on them.

I actually had a limb blow up on me in the middle of august last year and now 7 months and a few wrong warranty parts later I still don’t have a functional bow so I can’t say for sure. Needless to say the donut wear is the least of my issues now...

I wonder if you need the donut. Could just use a hard rubber cylinder or something else. It would be worth a try.