STS/ATS to STX/ATX

handwerk

WKR
I've got a STS HD that I've been happy with but am thinking about upgrading to the STX with either the 65 or 85MM. I use the spotter a little each fall for elk/deer/antelope and am not a trophy hunter and mainly a backpack hunter... but until I draw a sheep or goat tag not sure how much I can appreciate the "improvements" of the X series and the $1000+ the upgrade would cost.
Looking for opinions from those that have made the change to the X series.
I'd likely only ever own one lens and don't live anywhere near a swaro retailer.
thanks.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wait until you do draw a goat or sheep tag and then only upgrade after you've been able to compare the STS to STX side by side

As a backpack hunter you might regret the weight penalty going from STS to STX. I've got a 15 year old non-HD STS I bought used on here and can't imagine wanting better glass for looking through...

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
I have both. For the amount of use that you’re talking about, I wouldn’t spend the money, unless you’re wanting to really get into digi-scoping or some other reason. My spotters get used a fraction of the time that my Binos do, when it comes to hunting.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've had numerous ATS side-by-side with ATX and the ATX isn't always better from an optical perspective; it can be the opposite, actually. For the weight and budget savings, the ATS makes more sense for my needs.

atmat

WKR
Given your use and preference for backpacking, stay with the STS. It’s not worth the funds to upgrade to the STX given your use.

Also, I think higher objective sizes is where the STX really shines, but you said you’re considering staying with 65 anyway.

Brianb3

WKR
Had the atx. Was stolen. Bought the ATS after used I’d three season but I hated the eye piece after using the atx a couple seasons. Glass was very comparable but felt like any zoom on the ATS was fuzzier the eye piece not as comfortable and the field of view was slightly better on the atx. So I sold it and again picked up the atx system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
I use and abuse my 65 sts for years on numerous sheep and goat hunts…plus deer elk antelope etc. Never saw a need for a stx even on Alaska hunts.