Stuff sack or no with down quilt

Curious what most do when packing sleep system. Stuff sack or not? In the stuff sack my quilt is probably 8” diameter 10”tall but it forms a brick like item going into the pack with other items. Just stuffing it into the pack seems to take twice the space though it forms around everything else. What do you like stuff sack or no? Side note, For those who keep everything together in bivy how does that work out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I let the air out of the pad.
Grab the loaded bivy by the foot.
Start cramming,
Plop food and stove on top.
Button her down.
Treckers on one side.
Shelter on other.
Water filtering in lid.
Food for the day in back pocket.

Wife has to use a compression sack for her bag but her pack is small.

mlgc20

WKR
I always go with a stuff sack. I understand the argument for just putting it in the pack without. And I’ve tried it. But, I think a stuff sack is the way to go. And it’s not really close IMO. A stuff sack helps keep the quilt dry. And more importantly, it protects the quilt from random snags. A guy I was on a trip with got a rip in his quilt by the bail on his pot. His quilt was thrown in his pack without any protection.

HuntNTag

WKR
What he said

Spot on with my thoughts and experiences.

TowerT

FNG
I really do think a stuff sack is the way to go because, amongst other things, it protects the quilt from random snags and also it helps keep the quilt dry.

BBob

WKR
Compression sack but not a traditional cylinder. Osprey rectangular. You can get it to curve and wrap around the frame a bit. My whole sleep system goes in it. I have two sizes depending on temps and what bag I'm taking. I use the 12L and 20L, the 8L is really small. If there's extra room I'll stuff clothes or something else in. I think they fit in the pack much more efficiently than a cylindrical.

OP
elkdreamer78!
Not the responses I expected but it makes sense to provide an extra level of protection to the quilt though. I have a smaller dry bag I believe will accommodate my pad and quilt. Sack it is. Thanks for the responses.

No sack. The bivy will protect it from snags and it will not be that brick you mentioned.

Plus it is way faster to get loaded than separating everything. I`m up loaded and hunting in no time.

Poser

WKR
I prefer a stuff sack. I can get everything more compact that way and packed super tight that way. I like my pack volume as tight, compressed and streamlined as possible. Bivy sack in the bottom, bag and pad packed tight next to each other on top -makes for a great packing foundation.

I have used a dry bag of some sort for my sleep system but now i roll it up in my bivy and shove it in the bottom of my pack.

No stuff sack for me.

If it’s going to be wet all the time I go synthetic so that negates the water theory for me.

As far as protection? The only time I’ve ever messed my sleeping bag up bad is outside of the pack. Stove pipes and knives. Just be a bit logical when packing.

It does feel like you get more space stuff sacking it. I’ve tried both. The no stuff stack always packs tighter with all of the items I can stuff into the bottom bag area.

I pickup camp everyday. Tranissions without a stuff sack are much faster. More time to sleep.

End of the day, do what makes you happy!

Maverick1

WKR
Stored inside a stuff sack while in the field. Put that inside of a garbage bag if it is raining outside. Keeping it inside of a stuff stack keeps the sleeping bag/quilt protected from potential snags from other items inside the backpack. Easier to throw into a garbage bag if it is raining outside. Easier to pack up along with other things that go into the backpack. Tradeoff, as mentioned above, takes a little extra time to roll and pack up.

Otherwise hanging up in the closet while at home, uncompressed.

*zap*

WKR
JMO but, you can just stuff a bag into a dry bag/stuff sack no need to roll up neatly....takes a minute. Stuff can happen and if down gets pretty wet it maybe days before you can dry it in the field. Then you have the material on the better bags/quilts which is light and may not be best just loose in your bag to snag on other things. I vote lightweight dry sack which can be used for hauling water/pillow when your in camp.

ymmv.

Covee

FNG
Stuff sack totally does it for me. Amongst other things, it protects the quilt from random snags and also it helps keep the quilt dry.

I respect all choices. I`m to lazy and like the extra sleep. Not carrying the extra weight. See I`m super lazy. Haha

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Here's a pic of my quilt in a Kifaru stuff sack attached to the bottom of my pack, and my tent attached to the top.......with some stuff in a dry bag between the bag and the frame, and my hunting stuff in the SG pack bag.
100_2463.JPG