Stupid question on doping for elevation…

Jpr778

FNG
Alright guys, I have a question that is probably going to get some laughs from the guys with more experience. Go easy on me, I’m from Ohio and have never HAD to shoot past 50 yards at an animal with a firearm. For the last decade I have exclusively hunted with a compound bow, this is all new to me and I’m trying to be as proficient as possible before heading out west.

Long story short, I have a Sig Cross .308 with a Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16x50. I have been practicing out to 300 with it, but will need to dope to comfortably squeeze out a little more distance. I Have it zeroed at 100 and chronographed, I used this info to create a dope card out to 500 yards.

My question is, if the dope card calls for 12moa elevation adjustment at 500, is one full revolution of the turret (one revolution on my optic is 12moa) ALWAYS going to be 12moa no matter the magnification? Or is an 8moa adjustment for 400 yards at any random lower magnification on the scope always going to get me where I need to be? Again, sorry for the dumb question. If anyone has any recommendations for good videos explaining them stuff, link them for me!

Last edited:
OP
Jpr778

Jpr778

FNG
Also would like to add, I will be able to confirm these values on a range before attempting to hunt. I’m just trying to understand it all first, lol.

Macintosh

WKR
Dialed elevation will be constant, regardless of magnification.

Is this a first focal plane scope or second focal plane?

Macintosh

WKR
Ok, same answer. The only thing that changes is the reticle subtensions. The dial will be constant through the magnification range, the reticle hashmarks will change on a 2fp scope.

This is a good place to start—just put the word “moa” everywhere it says “mil”:

nobody

WKR
Magnification doesn’t affect your adjustment values in your turrets. It WILL affect your reticle’s values on a second focal plane optic, but your turrets will adjust the same no matter what magnification you’re on.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Think if MOA as an angle measurement. When you dial the turret, you are moving the reticle down in the scope, so you have to angle your rifle barrel higher.

So, when you dial it is always that number.

FYI, I would not trust that model of Vortex. It has a higher than usual rate of failure. I personally went through it, as well as a friend. We had three and two went bad.

I was on an elk hunt and lost zero and missed my first big game animal. I went home and borrowed a rifle and filled my tag.

Not every one fails, I have another friend whose has worked for a few years. I am not an anti Vortex guy. Other models are much more reliable.

I say that because if you invest thousands of dollars and time to come out west, I don’t want it to be ruined.

OP
Jpr778

Jpr778

FNG
Think if MOA as an angle measurement. When you dial the turret, you are moving the reticle down in the scope, so you have to angle your rifle barrel higher.

So, when you dial it is always that number.

FYI, I would not trust that model of Vortex. It has a higher than usual rate of failure. I personally went through it, as well as a friend. We had three and two went bad.

I was on an elk hunt and lost zero and missed my first big game animal. I went home and borrowed a rifle and filled my tag.

Not every one fails, I have another friend whose has worked for a few years. I am not an anti Vortex guy. Other models are much more reliable.

I say that because if you invest thousands of dollars and time to come out west, I don’t want it to be ruined.
Good to know, I only have this on there because a friend had one laying around. I originally thought I was going to get a Zeiss Conquest v4, but now I know I want something with the tactical style turret up to. I’ll start doing some research.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Good to know, I only have this on there because a friend had one laying around. I originally thought I was going to get a Zeiss Conquest v4, but now I know I want something with the tactical style turret up to. I’ll start doing some research.

Rokslide has a scope evaluation section. Spend some time reading in there on scopes that do and don't hold zero. IMO these evaluations are better then some random youtuber that talks about the glass only and not if the scope actually functions in field use.