Successful hunt report - things that worked and things that didn't...

elkduds

WKR
Ya, I'm one of those guys that likes a good buffer zone. I'll move if I have to, to get that. I'm more picky about my camping spots than my hunting spots.
Roger that. I pick spots that just won't work for 2 camps, try make that as obvious as I can. And still...

The sound of a generator is the antithesis of camping, IMO. I know the argument is that anything legal goes on public land. But where there is plenty of room, spread the F out! It's like when a hostess walks you past 3 vacant booths to seat you next to the table w multiple small children. Just wrong.

OP
Newtosavage
Roger that. I pick spots that just won't work for 2 camps, try make that as obvious as I can. And still...

The sound of a generator is the antithesis of camping, IMO. I know the argument is that anything legal goes on public land. But where there is plenty of room, spread the F out! It's like when a hostess walks you past 3 vacant booths to seat you next to the table w multiple small children. Just wrong.
Yup.

I've said before, I go to Colorado as much for the solitude, as anything. And I thought this year's spot was a ONE CAMP SPOT but I was proven wrong. They drove right through a small meadow of 3' tall grass and set up on a slope 70 yards away. I sure didn't see that coming or I never would have set up there.

Moral of the story is if you're camped in Colorado, ANYWHERE in Colorado, and you want peace and quiet, you had better darn well work to make sure nobody else can camp near you. Because if they can (at all) they damn sure will.

Michael54

WKR
I was even more flabbergasted with that request after I told him no. I said "where are you from"? He replies "Pennsylvania". I told him he'd probably get shot if he tried to take over someone's camp. And he said they do it all the time back home. SMH.
That is not common where I'm at in Pennsylvania. He would have ended up with at least 4 flat tires. With that being said what is common is hunters sitting on top of each other 100 yards into the gamelands from the road on opening day. I hear about it all the time at work. One of my co workers will be in his stand nice and early and 20 minutes after daylight a guy will walk in and sit 20 yards from him....its the main reason we posted our 400 acres and are real jerks to trespassers.

Sorry anyone had to deal with a spotmonger!!!
whatever happened to COMMON COURTESY, SPORTSMANSHIP, ETC??? First come first served!!! I don't really care where you are from, you better have a grain of respect for your fellow man or you will run into someone a little less accommodating!!! Looks like this will get worse before it gets better!

OP
Newtosavage
Sorry anyone had to deal with a spotmonger!!!
whatever happened to COMMON COURTESY, SPORTSMANSHIP, ETC??? First come first served!!! I don't really care where you are from, you better have a grain of respect for your fellow man or you will run into someone a little less accommodating!!! Looks like this will get worse before it gets better!
Nah, I've learned my lesson. Next time I set up my base camp, it will be where nobody else can set up near me. I promise you that much. And I'm going to spend the next year whittling down my backcountry camping gear so I can spend more nights away from the truck, which is what I really want to do anyway.

I still pat myself on the back for not pulling the valve stems out of those Denver boy's tires though. I showed a lot of restraint that day. ;)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When I go up scouting, I'm there to scout for camping spots. The elk are easy to find during the season, but the spots I want are limited. So this year I drive to my #1 spot and there are 100 head of cattle laying around and crapping all over my camping spot. Ya, I know......first come first serve.........but there has never been any cattle in that area before this year. And camping with cattle nearby is always a disaster, they can and will destroy a camp setup in a hurry. In another spot I saw a 5th wheel with 6 cows laying under the awning in the shade. Lots of cattle this year for some reason, they were even in the wilderness area.

In restaurants, I'm as picky about my table as I am with camping spots. I'll scan the room and tell the hostess where we're going to sit.

GotDraw?

WKR
that's #TruckCamping! Bivvy out if you want to be alone

In all seriousness though, there is a certain advantage to camps being closer together in that all the damage done from odor and activity is concentrated in one area.

JL

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. There are literally tens of thousands of acres for them to camp on, but they come rolling in after dark the night before the opener and set up less than 100 yards from my tent. More like 70 yards. That's either brain dead, rude or just trying to bully someone out of a spot. It's happened 2 years in a row now. First time was a huge 5th wheel that rolled out a cooler full of beer, barking dog and they stayed up laughing and drinking until I finally told them to shut the He** up at 11:00 p.m. Like I said, it's very much something I'm not used to and need to plan better for it in the future. I shouldn't have to put my earplugs in to get to sleep after driving 18 hours with the last hour being on dirt roads 30 miles from town. Fool me twice. ;) Next year, there won't be any way someone can set up within 1/4 mile of me.

OP
Newtosavage
that's #TruckCamping! Bivvy out if you want to be alone

In all seriousness though, there is a certain advantage to camps being closer together in that all the damage done from odor and activity is concentrated in one area.

JL
I've considered that. And I do like the idea of "most" of the hunters camping in a place that won't mess up anybody's hunting.

I'm making plans to Bivvy out more. This year really was the last straw.

GotDraw?

WKR
If you want a lightweight, awesome 1 man tent/2 man tarp, check out the Dan Durston tent I just posted on Gear Deals. They are $200. Great deal

I've considered that. And I do like the idea of "most" of the hunters camping in a place that won't mess up anybody's hunting.

I'm making plans to Bivvy out more. This year really was the last straw.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

Not sure how much it's messing up hunting. I have one spot where the elk have pulled tent stakes at night running around my tent, and have folded my mirrors back on the truck. This year a bull snuck in at 0255 and waited until he was about 20-30 yards from the tent and then let out one of those deep growly screaming bugles. My buddy flew out of bed like he was shot out of a cannon, scared the crap out of him. The bull then walked over and thrashed the heck out of a tree next to the truck, let out another bugle, and then went across the road and screamed his head off until about 0545. Never made another peep after that.

OP
Newtosavage
Not sure how much it's messing up hunting. I have one spot where the elk have pulled tent stakes at night running around my tent, and have folded my mirrors back on the truck. This year a bull snuck in at 0255 and waited until he was about 20-30 yards from the tent and then let out one of those deep growly screaming bugles. My buddy flew out of bed like he was shot out of a cannon, scared the crap out of him. The bull then walked over and thrashed the heck out of a tree next to the truck, let out another bugle, and then went across the road and screamed his head off until about 0545. Never made another peep after that.
Yea, I keep forgetting how tolerant elk and mule deer are of humans. I grew up camping in the whitetail woods, and you could clear out 100 acres by camping in it.

The day before the season opened, I had two guys camped near me in Colorado, tell me about two really nice muleys they saw between their camp and mine (only about 250 yards apart). Still surprises me because of my history with whitetails.