Suggest me a boot??

I need a good boot for a moose hunt.. I will hunt moose and bison but will also have a goat, and elk tag too.. Part of the hunt will be a horseback hunt!! What would a good all around boot be?? My feet get really cold really easy even with good wool socks.. So i would like 400 grams of thinsulate or so?? Anyone have any suggestions??

Jeremybj

FNG
Kenetrek mountain extreme 400gram. I have the non insulated version and they are so good all day. They aren't cheap, about $400, but trust me, if your feet aren't happy, the rest of you isn't happy. One suggestion is get the tall version(10" I think) of the boot, the boot is so rigid that you need support up your calf or it feels like the boot will twist your foot off if you step wrong(if you get what I mean).

I love mine, wouldn't trade them for anything.

Where is your hunt and what time of year?

When I hunt northern BC for multiple species from a base camp, I'll pack 2 1/2 boots. I'll have my Scarpa liskamm for the mountain hunting, I'll have a pair of pac boots for moose hunting because my feet get cold easily while calling, and I'll pack a pair of sourdough slippers for hunting around the swampy areas and creek crossings.

Last edited:

ozyclint

WKR
i have the meindl antarktis and they have 400gm thinsulate in them. i use them for tahr hunting and they have taken a beating. i haven't tried the kenetrek mountain extreme's but they come to mind to.

Trr15

WKR
Lowa Hunter Extreme. They're insulated with primaloft and I believe they're around 400 grams. They retail for over $400 but you can get a hell of a deal on them right now at Sierra Trading Post, especially if you have a deal flyer code. Great quality boots.

Craig4791

WKR
Lowa Tibet GTX's are my favorites so far but honestly with the troubles I have went through trying to find a boot that fit me right its hard for me to recommend a boot to someone. Lathrop and Sons are the ones that finally got me straightened out. Id give them a call if I were you.

Jdog

WKR
i had MAJOR problems with my Kenetreks last year on a sheep hunt.

After days of water crossings (pretty common on DIY sheep hunts) they stretched out pretty good and I got 7-8 blisters on both feet.

I had worn Lowa's in prior hunts and never once got a blister.

The Kenetreks felt good but I won't wear them for extended backpack hunts b/c of the stretching. Around the house, cutting wood, ATV'ng, fine but no long trips in them.

kaboku68

WKR
Zamberlan Ibex Pro Gts. Carbon fiber footbox with excellent rands and stitching.

Hanwag GTX Alaskan Trappers - A hightop boot that is pretty bomb proof as well.

gelton

WKR
Lowa Hunter, but I would recommend following the advice of Todd Kelly above. The best boots in the world will not handle a two week trip after getting saturated every day. I found that out the hard way after tromping through the snow every day and waking up to frozen boots every morning for the last three days of my hunt. From here on out I will always have a backup pair of boots at basecamp.

Also - it is claimed that primaloft insulates about twice the rate of thinsulate. So 150 grams of primaloft = about 300 grams of thinsulate if the claim is true.

OP
Jtelarkin08
Where is your hunt and what time of year?

When I hunt northern BC for multiple species from a base camp, I'll pack 2 1/2 boots. I'll have my Scarpa liskamm for the mountain hunting, I'll have a pair of pac boots for moose hunting because my feet get cold easily while calling, and I'll pack a pair of sourdough slippers for hunting around the swampy areas and creek crossings.

I am going to be hunting sikanni river BC. I snagged a pair of lowa hunters on sierra trading post for 220$. Now I am going to look for a pair of pack boots like you suggest.