Suggestions/recommendations for location for wilderness first aid class

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sometime between now and the middle of August, I’m going to take the two day wilderness first aid class. My idea is to take the class and take a few days before or after to do some fishing or hiking. There are several companies providing the training in several locations across the US. I was thinking of somewhere in Nevada, Arizona or New Mexico as I haven’t been there in quite a while.

What would you do as far as the location and an activity to go with that? Probably want to go to a higher elevation area to escape the heat and maybe find some good trout fishing.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Somewhere in the lower 48 given I am looking to take 4-5 days max.

gtriple

WKR
@philos did you end up doing this class yet? Do you have any recommendations for providers? I'm looking to take something similar. I've got basic first aid training but want something a little more specific.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
Just a suggestion to you all looking to take your WFA or WAFA, it is well worth your time and money to invest in the Wilderness First Responder (WFR). The increased level of skill is significant. You'll feel much more confident and prepared for wilderness emergency care.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
@philos did you end up doing this class yet? Do you have any recommendations for providers? I'm looking to take something similar. I've got basic first aid training but want something a little more specific.
Still trying to decide where to go. Thinking I might combine it with a fishing trip somewhere out west. I’m gonna try to nail down a location in the next several days.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
My son (former guide) speaks highly of NOLS in Lander, WY. Lander is a great place for hiking, fishing, riding, climbing too.
Thanks for that information. I was leaning toward NOLS as I have heard good things about them. I was in Lander last October. I took my deer to be tested for chronic wasting at the game and fish office there but didn’t spend much time there.

tuffcity

WKR
If you're going to commit to a WFA seriously look into the Advanced (or higher). I recertifiy in a 4 day course every couple of years in AWFA and ours includes a transport component. It's probably more likely that you will come across somebody who needs your assistance and if medevac is going to be hours out or even tomorrow it's very beneficial to know how to make the victim as comfortable as possible and ready to go. Or worse case, you and (hopefully partners) have to get them out.

I sent NOLS an email last winter about the same class. Inquiring about details because they sometimes travel around and do the classes at other locations, and one was close to me.

Heard many good things about them too and I personally know some good people that attended their camps.

Needless to say, after I received their email reply
“”””signature lines””””, I didn’t move forward…

And I’ll leave it at that with no further explanation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dented

WKR
NOLS. I took my kids to the WFA class when they were mid teens. Excellent course with practical application.

WTFJohn

WKR
Still trying to decide where to go. Thinking I might combine it with a fishing trip somewhere out west. I’m gonna try to nail down a location in the next several days.

See what Desert Mountain Medicine in Leadville, CO offers. I took my WFR course through them and could not recommend them/WFR in general enough to anyone interested.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I sent NOLS an email last winter about the same class. Inquiring about details because they sometimes travel around and do the classes at other locations, and one was close to me.

Heard many good things about them too and I personally know some good people that attended their camps.

Needless to say, after I received their email reply
“”””signature lines””””, I didn’t move forward…

And I’ll leave it at that with no further explanation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have no idea what your post means. I see some asterisks before & after "signature lines" but don't know what you are trying to point out here.

Legend

WKR
Sometime between now and the middle of August, I’m going to take the two day wilderness first aid class. My idea is to take the class and take a few days before or after to do some fishing or hiking. There are several companies providing the training in several locations across the US. I was thinking of somewhere in Nevada, Arizona or New Mexico as I haven’t been there in quite a while.

What would you do as far as the location and an activity to go with that? Probably want to go to a higher elevation area to escape the heat and maybe find some good trout fishing.
These guys were top notch when I used them. It's been awhile but I used to send all my field staff to their training.

TaperPin

WKR
In addition to a class I’d recommend Medicine for Mountaineering - it’s a great book that covers all sorts of remote situations and possible solutions. It’s way more of a book than you’d want to take in a day pack, but I keep a copy in every vehicle. By far most fatalities out west in the mountains die of hypothermia - basic survival knowledge and preparedness is as important as the medical.

I don’t know what your budget is, but I’m from Wyoming and might know an EMT that teaches wilderness skills one on one - I’ll ask him just out of curiosity. A day or two actually in the mountains would be better than a classroom.