Summer Buck

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
I have a brute on camera just one pic right now, middle of the day. Any advice on how to close the deal on a target buck in early season?

I have a brute on camera just one pic right now, middle of the day. Any advice on how to close the deal on a target buck in early season?

Try to get a consistent pattern on him. See if you can figure out his travel route. Slip in on a perfect wind and kill him the first day. Try not to leave any indication you are in the area at any time. Each time you go in to hunt him, the harder it will be to kill him.

Don’t be shocked if he goes incognito right as the season opens. Most of those big boys will just disappear on you. You could also slip in right now and drop some cams on trials surrounding the area and see if you can figure out his travel pattern. If you only get one pic and don’t get another then he was prolly bumped into your area and just happened to walk in front of the cam. If you have a bait pile going then keep it going. If not, then start a bait pile if legal in your area. Corn piles work great. We have a lot of success with rice bran too. Just mix it with the corn and dump it on the ground. Pigs will wipe it out if you have them in your area. But we have way better success on corn piles over feeders. Big deer don’t get big being dumb!

Also, POST A PIC! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like that setup. I see now why he’s daylighting. Gotta catch them in tight cover if you want to see them in daylight!

OP
Kularrow

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
I put out 4.5lb of mineral only so far, I found his bed in the spring. This is about 100 yards north of where I think he’s bedding.

I put out 4.5lb of mineral only so far, I found his bed in the spring. This is about 100 yards north of where I think he’s bedding.

Nice! Just keep feeding him. Give him a reason to stay. But hunt the wind. If he ever busts you, it will probably be game over. I killed a buck last year on public in Kansas and it took 5 days before I could hunt the spot I found which was a natural pinch point between bed and feed. The first day the wind switched I jumped in a tree and stuck him within 2.5 hours of settling into my lock on. Funny thing was I wasn’t the only person that found the spot. There was a game cam that had been hung on a tree right below my set that morning. Lol. I’m sure they were deflated to find a carcass 30 yards from their cam.

1sickLT1

FNG
Id stay out of the area as much as possible in an attempt to keep him feeling safe in there. You're on the right track already since you you have a cell cam in there.
Is this public or private?

OP
Kularrow

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
My main issues right now are: I need to go in and freshen up the mineral sight and move the camera slightly down (it’s too high). Also I have an extra cell cam I want to hang to help with patterning him. As of right now I’m going do a full scent control regiment to get in and out quick as possible. There’s a fair amount of trail runners in the area so he’s atleast adjusted to some human perspiration.

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
If there’s rain in the forecast and your really worried about scent go in while it’s raining to set the camera