TX Opening Day 9+ Yr Old Buck Killed by My 9 Yr Old Son

Mev002

FNG
My son was able to take this big old buck on opening day this past weekend.

Before the season started my son and I went up to the lease and set up a new spot. Moved a feeder next to a tank and cut some shooting lanes, getting it all set up.

Fast forward to this opening weekend. My son and I decide to hunt this area during the afternoon hunt, after an uneventful morning hunt. We get to the pop up to find our blind over run with wasps. Great! We are committed to hunting this stand so we decided to sit outside the blind on the ground and see what happened.

About 5:45 the first buck showed up. A smaller 6 point. Then shortly after a big (impressive) 7 point showed up. The 7 ended up running the smaller 6 out of there. In doing so right into our wind, about 40 yards away. Naturally the 6 spooked out, and the 7 followed shortly after.

another 15 minutes go by and I look to my right and see a buck buck walking in. At this point his is 35 yards away walking right next to us, as we sit out in the open. I told my son. Do. Not. Move. Big buck coming in. He crossed less than 20 yards in front of us, oblivious to our presence and walked to the feeder 75 yards out in front of us.

Luke was excited and was eager to shoot, so I slowly had him stand up and get on the gun mounted on the Bog Deathgrip tripod. As soon as the buck got still and turned broadside, Luke pulled the trigger. The buck jumped and ran, crashing on site about 25 yards away. He was shooting my Alamo Precision 6.5 PRC, and made a perfect shot through the lungs.

After we got him loaded and back to camp another lease member came and congratulated him and said that was their target buck, and had 7 years of history with this buck. Tried to kill him the last few, but wasn’t able to close the deal. We estimated his age to 9.5+ based off him being at least a 2 year old back in 2016.

This is Luke’s 3rd buck, and by far his biggest. We were both pretty happy with the outcome of this hunt.

d2d6163edc8a2de1620e65bdd78a36c7.jpg

82abad1f4eb66594fc9255b1a0465727.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dented

WKR
That's fantastic! Great story, and a trophy buck! What a great way to start a season.

OP
Mev002

Mev002

FNG
It's definitely a good start so far. 11 days till Mule deer season opens as well.

Little late to the post, but congratulations on a great story and a great buck. Here’s to many more in the future!