Suppressor muzzle device confusion

Geewhiz

WKR
I am getting confused when it comes to muzzle devices for suppressors and I havent found a good video or discussion that makes it clear.

I have a tbac suppressor and understand that they have their own proprietaty brake/thread pattern/mounting system, but they along with other companies also offer a HUB/bravo/universal type mounting system that utilizes 1 3/8x24 threads. I have looked around a bit and am just confused about the preferred way to mount a suppressor using the 1 3/8x24 system.

If you go to the Q website they have devices like a cherry bomb that I believe is supposed to be fixed to your barrel, but then you need another threaded adapter that goes from the male threads on the cherry bomb to the female threads on the suppressor. 2 different thread adapters sound like things are getting hokey.

If you go to the diligent defense site they have these
DTA_5.8X24__02758.1697045525.jpg
which are muzzle threads to the universal 1 3/8x24 and appear to be a fairly straight forward mounting solution, but then all it is is a direct threaded suppressor with a removable (muzzle end) end cap. Is the idea then to loctite the above pictured adapter to your barrel permanently and just swap the suppresser to different rifles?

Tbac's muzzle device has a brake integrated into it which slides up into the rear of the suppressor, so do suppressors that are made to use the 1 3/8x24 threads have more baffels at the back end of the suppressor or is there still 2 inches of open space back there in case you have a muzzle device that has an integrated brake like the tbac? Are tbac suppressors that are 1 3/8x24 threaded and that are made to use a muzzle device with an integrated brake less effective if you use it with a muzzle device like the diligent defense adapter that does not have an integrated brake?

Dead air has all kinds of muzzle devices on their site that Im not sure what they are supposed to be used for.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated as I cant imagine I'm the only one that doesnt understand.

Last edited:

ID_Matt

WKR
HUB is just the universal threads that most suppressor companies use for adapters. Each company seems to sell a "system" that is hub compatible. Dead air keymo, Q cherry bomb, etc. so you can use there adapters with the brakes or flash hiders on the barrel. I don't see much benefit with bolt guns and think direct thread is probably the way to go. The Diligent defense adapter you have above would be to screw in to a hub can and just leave it in to be used direct thread. You would not leave it on the barrel. Where it can get tricky is if you have different guns with different muzzle threads. If that is the case, like me, I went with area 419 mounts - multiple guns with different threads and different cans with different mount threads. This way i don't have to switch anything out as the mounts all stay on the gun and mounts stay in the suppressor.

if you aren't dealing with multiple guns and thread pitches, just do direct thread on everything for the easiest solution.

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
Guess im just a bit confused still. What then, would be the purpose of ever using something like a rearden/cherry bomb/ xeno type device? I like the idea of having some sort of muzzle device loktited to the muzzle threads on the rifle in the event that at some point I somehow inadvertanty booger up the threads. I have 3 rifles I plan to use it on and Im thinking of putting one of those (rearden/cherry bomb/xeno) type devices on each of them to swap the suppressor to. But then Ive got 2 different adapter devices between the muzzle threads themselves and the suppressor..?

Whenever I get back to my pickup after hunting I always take my suppressor off to put the rifle back in the case and currently that leaves the tbac brake on the muzzle of the rifle, but with the new hub suppressor I just bought Im trying to figure out what people use.

Seams indecent to just flash naked muzzle threads around willy nilly.

BBob

WKR

Guess im just a bit confused still. What then, would be the purpose of ever using something like a rearden/cherry bomb/ xeno type device? I like the idea of having some sort of muzzle device loktited to the muzzle threads on the rifle in the event that at some point I somehow inadvertanty booger up the threads. I have 3 rifles I plan to use it on and Im thinking of putting one of those (rearden/cherry bomb/xeno) type devices on each of them to swap the suppressor to. But then Ive got 2 different adapter devices between the muzzle threads themselves and the suppressor..?

Whenever I get back to my pickup after hunting I always take my suppressor off to put the rifle back in the case and currently that leaves the tbac brake on the muzzle of the rifle, but with the new hub suppressor I just bought Im trying to figure out what people use.

What did you end of going with? I really like the reardan mounts gonna try those out on my next can

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
What did you end of going with? I really like the reardan mounts gonna try those out on my next can
I ended up going with rearden devices. I got a dual port brake and an atlas. Planning to get a couple more brakes for other rifles.

Attachments

• IMG_3953.jpeg
    IMG_3953.jpeg
    350.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3954.jpeg
    IMG_3954.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 14

Grundy53

WKR

Why not just use thread protector caps?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
Why not just use thread protector caps?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
That’s a valid question.

Mainly because I am lead to believe that I will get a slight amount of increased performance out of my suppressors with a 2 port brake inside rather than a direct thread cap leaving empty space between the muzzle and the blast baffle. Not sure if there’s any truth to that or not. 🤷‍♂️

Akken

FNG
That’s a valid question.

Mainly because I am lead to believe that I will get a slight amount of increased performance out of my suppressors with a 2 port brake inside rather than a direct thread cap leaving empty space between the muzzle and the blast baffle. Not sure if there’s any truth to that or not. 🤷‍♂️
It's both can design and personal preference.

My nomad 30 is a DT can but has a hub design so I could switch to either a xeno or keymo mount if quick attach is desired. These attachments also lengthen the can to allow the brake/flash hider to fit inside without contacting the baffles.

My tbac ultra 5 uses the cb mount and looking at it the baffles are recessed further into the can to allow the brake to fit so yes I'd say the tbac ultra line is designed with that brake in mind as part of the equation for its baseline performance. Even the DT version of the ultra series is just the same can with the brake rocksetted into the can.