Suppressor wait times

atmat

WKR
Take this with a large grain of salt, but in talking to a couple local SOTs their ATF contacts told them (several years ago) the ATF has a (lofty) goal of getting down to a 17 day approval window. (and obviously we see how well THAT is going).

The interesting tidbit in those conversations was how much tax revenue the ATF was looking at and would come in if the process was that fast.

While I'm no fan of the need for approvals on suppressors in general, I'd bet there would be a pretty considerable uptick in suppressor usage if the process was a reliable 30 days or less.
Most people I know who are skipping suppressors aren’t going it because of the wait. They’re doing it because of the tax fee, needing a trust, fingerprints, and perceived complicated paperwork.

Would be sweet if it could be brought down that low, though.

Bluefish

WKR
So I just got a Form 4 back in record time. In 20 years and a bunch of forms, this is the fastest I have ever had.

Rugged Obsidian.
Purchased through SilencerShop.
Individual.
Form 4 was submitted via eforms on 1.15.2024
Approved 2.14.2024.

I have another Form 4 for a SilencerCo Scythe Ti that I submitted on 1/3/2024, nothing on that one yet.
That’s crazy fast. I am at about 120 days on a form 1 and a form 4.

I went through SC and my application was submitted to the ATF on October 10, 2023. I still have awhile before I get my stamp.

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
2nd approved today. 2/15/24. Both submitted 8/21. One approved 1/24/24, one today….you’d think they could streamline if one person has multiple form 4s…..

Axlrod

WKR
Take this with a large grain of salt, but in talking to a couple local SOTs their ATF contacts told them (several years ago) the ATF has a (lofty) goal of getting down to a 17 day approval window. (and obviously we see how well THAT is going).

The interesting tidbit in those conversations was how much tax revenue the ATF was looking at and would come in if the process was that fast.

While I'm no fan of the need for approvals on suppressors in general, I'd bet there would be a pretty considerable uptick in suppressor usage if the process was a reliable 30 days or less.
The US government has spent, as of today 34.23 TRILLION dollars MORE than they have taken in.
That is $265,000 for each US taxpayer.
So the ATF is going to be concerned about an uptick in $200 tax stamps??
Here is the deal:
The ATF does not give a shit about revenue or getting your suppressor to you period.

Under 3 months!

Eform 4 individual
Certified 11/22/23
Approved 2/15/24

Had 2 cans certified that day, will be interesting to see if the other clears tomorrow/next week or in the summer when I figured they would clear.

Louro

FNG
Under 3 months!

Eform 4 individual
Certified 11/22/23
Approved 2/15/24

Had 2 cans certified that day, will be interesting to see if the other clears tomorrow/next week or in the summer when I figured they would clear.
You lucky dog. I just got one of mine approve, I bought it on June. The other one that was bought the same date still on hold.

NickT406

FNG
Classified Approved
Under 3 months!

Eform 4 individual
Certified 11/22/23
Approved 2/15/24

My harvester evo certified the first week of December and I got approved yesterday! I had 2 other cans certified same day also so we will see but at least I will have one to play with.

fmyth

WKR
Most people I know who are skipping suppressors aren’t going it because of the wait. They’re doing it because of the tax fee, needing a trust, fingerprints, and perceived complicated paperwork.

Would be sweet if it could be brought down that low, though.
I bought my first (2) on November 17th from a local gun store. They took my pic, fingerprints and did all the paperwork online while I was there and the whole process took about an hour. I did not do a trust. I didn't have any plan to loan my suppressors out and can still will them to my son. I picked up both suppressors yesterday. 88 days from purchase to approval and picked up on the 89th day.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Is there any rhyme or reason to the approval timeline? Longer for your first one? Looking to purchase my first suppressor within the next month and have no clue what to expect.
Just do it and forget about it, might get a surprise Christmas present.