Swaro 85mm or 95mm ? ATX or STS

The time has finally come to start looking for a Swarovski spotter. I’m mainly leaning towards the ATX model paired with a 85mm or the 95mm. I’ve had the privilege of looking through the 95mm a few times and was very pleased. I’m primarily a backpack mule deer hunter with occasional road camp hunts. My main question is if there is a reasonable enough difference between the 95 and the 85 for my type of hunting that I just suck up the weight of the 95 and get it. Also is the ATX model that much better than the ATS ? If not I could save a lot of money going that route.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
8 oz I will take the 95 over 85 every time.

I like the ATX over the ATS for the versatility aka BTX.

I think my 85mm is too big to pack away from the truck. I have considered trading even for a 65mm.
Angled is good for spotting from prone on the range, and for setting up a short tripod.
Straight may be easier to put on target b/c eyeballing the general point direction is easier.

Dejhavu

FNG
The only benefit I saw with the ATX/STX when I was shopping for a spotter was the modularity. I guess it would be cheaper to have one eyepiece and two different sized objectives if you wanted a more portable for hunting and a larger one when glassing from a truck. I ended up with the ATS 65mm and I don’t regret it. The larger objective would be nice sometimes but not to a point where I’d spend the money to buy two different objectives.

wyosteve

WKR
For backpack mule deer I’d look at one of the smaller spotters like the 17-40 Swarovski or Kowa 554. I use the small Swarovski more than my STX 95.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
For backpack mule deer I’d look at one of the smaller spotters like the 17-40 Swarovski or Kowa 554. I use the small Swarovski more than my STX 95.

4BF38F8A-94AD-4AF8-86F7-DCD56B362AA0.jpeg

Agree. Having had the 65mm objective for my system I found it pathetic when comparing with the 95mm. The little 50mm is a much better tool when I want compact. I’m quite satisfied now.