Swaro Z8i 2-16x50 or Kahles K318i 3.5-18x50

Typants

FNG
Hey guys,

Looking for an all-around hunting scope for a custom 6.5 PRC shooting out to 800yrds.

I currently have a Kahles K624i (going to sell) but I want something with a lower low-end magnification so I can use it for close up quick shots. I hunt both out west and some thicker areas in the east so the lower end magnification is important.

I love my Kahles k624i so I imagine I would love the K318i but I like the idea of the lower 2x power on the Swaro. I am used to adjusting in mils and using FFP so the Kahles is a little more enticing but I was wondering if anyone has used both and could give their opinion? Thanks!

They are designed for different applications. The Kahles is FFP with erector designed for dialing and tactical / precision rifle applications. Swaro is made for maximum glass quality, weight conscious, point and shoot hunting with bells and whistles.

I'd prefer the Kahles unless I was building a mountain rifle. If you're planning to do much LR shooting The turrets, internals and reticles are going to be much better suited. The difference between the 2x and 3.8x is pretty small, IMO. If I was going to be hunting where a 3x scope was going to be too much magnification, I'd either swap to another scope for that hunt or I'd mount a micro red dot onto my scope. If 3x is going to be too much scope, then you can throw damn near anything on top, for that hunt, and be good.

OP
Typants

Typants

FNG
I'd prefer the Kahles unless I was building a mountain rifle. If you're planning to do much LR shooting The turrets, internals and reticles are going to be much better suited. The difference between the 2x and 3.8x is pretty small, IMO. If I was going to be hunting where a 3x scope was going to be too much magnification, I'd either swap to another scope for that hunt or I'd mount a micro red dot onto my scope. If 3x is going to be too much scope, then you can throw damn near anything on top, for that hunt, and be good.

Yeah those are great points. I think i'm trying too hard to build a "do everything" rifle. Most of the time I hunt thick virginia woods and then I occasionally get out west and want something that can go the distance and be packed far when needed. I like the idea of a micro red dot. I always was afraid it would get caught up on everything but i've never tried one out.

I haven't heard any complaints about the internals on a swarovski. Have you had any issues? My Kahles tracked perfectly and the turret was nice and crisp so it's hard to want to venture to another brand (though I know they're sister companies).

madcalfe

WKR
i recently just switched from a Leopold vx5hd to a kahles k3i mainly cause i wasn't confident in the vx5 dials.
tbh it was a complete impulse buy but im definitely liking the kahles, having said that im not liking the 1.5lbs of weight that goes with the kahles compared to the Leopold. ive shot numerous 6 point bull elk in thick timber within 25 yards with the vx5 on 3-5 power. I personally dont think going down lower than 3 power is going to make a difference. personally i think if i was going to do it again id grab the swarvo Z8. Save 10 oz on scope weight and another 5oz on rings (can get 20 moa tally rings for 30mm scopes, 34mm scopes i had to run a 20moa rail and then rings for a rem 700)

OP
Typants

Typants

FNG
i recently just switched from a Leopold vx5hd to a kahles k3i mainly cause i wasn't confident in the vx5 dials.
tbh it was a complete impulse buy but im definitely liking the kahles, having said that im not liking the 1.5lbs of weight that goes with the kahles compared to the Leopold. ive shot numerous 6 point bull elk in thick timber within 25 yards with the vx5 on 3-5 power. I personally dont think going down lower than 3 power is going to make a difference. personally i think if i was going to do it again id grab the swarvo Z8. Save 10 oz on scope weight and another 5oz on rings (can get 20 moa tally rings for 30mm scopes, 34mm scopes i had to run a 20moa rail and then rings for a rem 700)
Ended up going with the swaro. Love how light it is and even though it’s a SFP, it’ll make a great hunting setup with a ballistic turret.

now...to sell that kahles k624i...

madcalfe

WKR
nice good choice! hahah im kicking myself for getting the kahles instead of a Z8 just mainly for the weight but oh well this just gives me a reason to buy a wildcat stock so i can shave a pound from the gun ;)

OP
Typants

Typants

FNG
nice good choice! hahah im kicking myself for getting the kahles instead of a Z8 just mainly for the weight but oh well this just gives me a reason to buy a wildcat stock so i can shave a pound from the gun ;)
For what it’s worth, I love my kahles, just don’t currently have a rifle to put it on.

but yeah...gotta look on the bright side of things...get to get that stock now! Lol