Swarovski 17-40 ATC

Hunt4lyfe

FNG
After reading and watching most reviews on the ATC i decided to purchase one but i dont know how i feel about it. It's not as sharp as my SLC 15-50s and they seem to have a "foggy" image. To be honest they cant compare to the SLCs. Its not so apparent at 17x but its definitely there. At 40x there's no denying it and there seems to be a bright foggy spot in the center. Its almost like the area is smokey. I've tried looking through them in the morning, noon, evening, basically at all times and i get the same foggy/smokey image. I did comparisons at the same time.
To those of you that have one do you guys get the same foggy/smokey image or is almost identical to your binos? I'm new to spotters so am i expecting too much or should i send them in to get checked out? I called Swarovski and the guy on the line just said send them in to be inspected and it'll be a 8-10 weeks.

Attachments

• 20231020_091209-01.jpeg
    20231020_091209-01.jpeg
    402 KB · Views: 103
When looking at several ATCs STCs I thought it was one of the better spotters I’ve ever looked through. But just like any variable zoom optic, the higher the zoom the more degraded the image becomes.

I too also had the SLC 15s and while they were great, I’d much prefer the slightly more degraded image but 2.5x zoom when judging animals

From the ones I’ve looked through 40x was certainly useable but not crystal clear like15 SLC binos will get

Just my two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDB9818

WKR
I’m pretty impressed with mine and I don’t have any type of “foggy” image. I also have a pair of SLC 15x56 binos. They are a nice combination.

Probably worth sending them in to be checked.

How do you like that Kestrel mount for the ATC?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
H

Hunt4lyfe

FNG
I’m pretty impressed with mine and I don’t have any type of “foggy” image. I also have a pair of SLC 15x56 binos. They are a nice combination.

Probably worth sending them in to be checked.

How do you like that Kestrel mount for the ATC?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, I'd send it to get checked. My ATC has no foggy look anywhere in the lens. It's as clear as my NL's and STX.

Thanks a lot guys these are the answers that i was looking for.
If they are as clear as your SLCs and NLs then im definitely sending them in.
Everytime i take a look through my ATCs im so disappointed in the contrast and clearness of the images. I was expecting the brightness of the images to darken as you go up in power but the clearness and contrast really threw me off. I just cant get over it.

I tried to send them back to euro optic for and exchange but they didn't have any in stock.

@JDB9818 The Kestrel mount is ok. I carry a very light tripod so I have mine mounted very close to the focus ring for better balance.
When adjusting positions i have to use 2 hands and carefully tighten it so it doesn't clamp on the focus ring.
Also, the tightening allen bolt loosens up over time so i throw in a correct sized allen wrench in my bino harness.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Everytime i take a look through my ATCs im so disappointed in the contrast and clearness of the images. I was expecting the brightness of the images to darken as you go up in power but the clearness and contrast really threw me off. I just cant get over it.

I tried to send them back to euro optic for and exchange but they didn't have any in stock.

@JDB9818 The Kestrel mount is ok. I carry a very light tripod so I have mine mounted very close to the focus ring for better balance.
When adjusting positions i have to use 2 hands and carefully tighten it so it doesn't clamp on the focus ring.
Also, the tightening allen bolt loosens up over time so i throw in a correct sized allen wrench in my bino harness.
I have to do that too - not super sold on that kestrel mount….

The Kestrel mount is ok. I carry a very light tripod so I have mine mounted very close to the focus ring for better balance.
You can put a bigger bevel in the end that is closest to the focus ring and it will no longer bind up if you don’t use two hands. That’s what I did to mine and it really helped. I definitely wasn’t too impressed for the price I paid for the Kestrel to have it be like that but it was a relatively simple fix.

I’m really liking mine. As others have said probably worth sending it in to get checked.

ChrisAU

WKR
Very pleased with mine last week. This was at just over 900 yards. Not sure what more I could expect out of a 56mm spotter. Probably some resolution loss from uploading to IMGUR as I tried to attach here and it said file was too large.

BrJv2Sa.jpg

JDB9818

WKR

Good info on the Kestrel and helps confirm my current setup.

I’m using the Outdoorsman’s pistol grip which is perfect for my binoculars and this small spotter.

You can tilt it to the side which is effectively the same as rotating it in the Kestrel ring but it sounds like it’s much faster.

Thanks for the info and I hope you can get the ATC sorted out.

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I should add to this, I had a really good interaction with customer service from Swarovski for my STC. They actually replaced my scope. When I bought it the original had a “fleck” visible in the mid peripheral lens. Just a dark spec from manufacturing debris. It didn’t affect the rest of the image but it was noticeable. It was mild enough I actually debated wether or not I should do anything and I’m really glad I did. It took a few weeks mostly due to inventory but between them and the dealer they took really good care of me. The new one is flawless

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
Swaro CS has been amazing for me other the years. I don’t have a bad thing to say about it.

OP
H

Hunt4lyfe

FNG
@ChrisAU and @MountainTracker those pictures look really good compared to mine. I dont see the washed out/foggy look like mine has. I'll most definitely be sending it in. Thanks guys!

I have zero doubts Swarovski CS will give me any issues.

Fedster

FNG
I just saw this -- it is possible it is you not the scope. I NEVER have any issue looking through any bino, and I always have to find the sweet spot for I place my eye with scopes. Unless my eye is *perfectly* aligned with the scope the view I get is foggy and smudgy. Wide angle oculars (like the ATC's) make it worse. I have a STC and ATS with the 25x-50x W ocular. I also noticed on Kowa scopes friends have.

If you do not have this problem with other wide angle scope oculars, it is the scope. But do check. I think this problem is because I use contact lenses (hard), but it might be my eyes.

Jbuck

FNG
I'd say send it back. But like @Fedster said sometimes my eye can play tricks as well. I get eye fatigue after glassing a while, and I can develop a blurry center where I try to focus.

That said my ATC in phenomenal for a 56mm scope.

20231016_075929.jpg