Swarovski ats 80 vs 65

seaner9er

FNG
What are your thoughts on the Swarovski 80 ats HD as a packable option? Is it worth the extra weight and bulk over the 65?

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like a very personal decision that depends on a lot of factors.

I went on my first guided hunt last year and my guide used the 65. I was impressed with it, and he is a fan of it for how it fits in his pack.

After looking through his swaro, I decided to upgrade. I ended up going the atx route because I don’t want to spend that much and feel like I’m still missing out knowing the atx is out there (i.e. I don’t want to buy another one). I was all set to go with the 65 objective but switched to the 95 in the end. My big reason was that I wanted the best for digiscoping and all of my hunts in the foreseeable future will be with somebody so space isn’t as big of an issue.

I love the atx because I still have the option of adding a 65 in the future. I’m not sure I ever will though...the 95 is amazing.

From all the looking that I did, I think if digiscoping is a primary thing you want it for, go bigger. If the space isn’t an issue I’d go bigger. I don’t think the weight difference is that big of an impact. For me, it was worth it to go bigger.

You will be happy with either one...

Andrew11

Lil-Rokslider
When i was looking at a spotter i was stuck between both of these. I had a few conversations with some other guys that pointed me towards the 80 over the 65, due to how much more light the 80 will bring in. I was planning on using a phoneskope with it as well. Looking at the weight from swaros site it looks like the difference is 9.5 ounces. Mine weights in just a hair over 4 lbs though, with the cover on it and the tripod plate. Then another couple pounds for the tripod I run. But if i go out and am planning on doing any extended glassing it always goes in the pack. No point in spending the $$ on it if your not going to take it.

cbeard64

WKR
I went with the 65. Simply, put I didn’t want the extra bulk of the 80. The 65 fits easily in a lot of places the 80 either will not go or sticks out a lot.

I think it all depends on how you hunt and what’s important to you.

Worth it: yes

Packing an issue or not: Yes > 65. No > 80.

I have the 80 and found that I rarely use it. My issues has been not wanting to pack the extra weight/tripod. Most places I hunt I can see a ridge or two away. Not much beyond that. My binos work fine for that . When I don't pack it I hate leaving a 3K piece of glass in my truck.

I have the 20-60 lens in retrospect I would be happier with the 25-50x.

Their are some vantage points where having the spotter is a huge advantage over my binos.

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
I think you went the right way going up to the 80 over the 65. I went from a 65 up to an 88mm Kowa and to me its not even a question if its coming along on a hunt or not cause it lives in my pack full time (mostly all mule deer around here). If the extra pound of optics helps me locate an animal i may have missed with a smaller scope then its worth it to me. Ive looked through the smaller 50 and 55 scopes and Id sooner be leaving one of those in the truck because I havent seen the advantage they offer over good binos around here.

Brooks

WKR
I went with the ats 65 with the 25-50 W eye piece and I’m glad I did. With that 25-50 W you can get on your target fast and fits in my pack great. Any Swarovski spotter is a good spotter.

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
ATS65 with 25-50, great optically, even then always looking for the lighter option. Scared a 55 wont cut it in marginal light or will be too picky for eyebox.