Swarovski Z5 vs Leupold VX6-HD

stevevan

WKR
I'd like to get a comparison between a Swarovski Z5 2.4-12x50 BT and a Leupold VX6 HD 2-12x42 CDS. I'd like the comparison only between these 2 without any other Brands/Models interjected. I know there are folks on the forum with extensive experience with rifle scopes. I'm looking for the pluses & minuses of both. Dependabilty/tracking are always at the top along with quality of glass. Experienced critiques are highly valued and appreciated. Thank you

I have the Z5 with Ballistic Turret as well as the VX6-HD. Since the magnification ranges that I have are outside of your specified ranges, I will only ask a couple of guiding questions to help you determine which route makes the most sense.

What caliber are you planning to use? What bullet are you planning to use? What distances are you planning to shoot? If you know your estimated ballistics and are planning to dial more than 13.25 MOA of elevation, you can easily eliminate one of your stated choices.

How precise are you wanting your shots? 25 yards? 50 yards? 100 yards? Depending on your answer you can easily eliminate one of your stated choices.

OP
S

stevevan

WKR
I have the Z5 with Ballistic Turret as well as the VX6-HD. Since the magnification ranges that I have are outside of your specified ranges, I will only ask a couple of guiding questions to help you determine which route makes the most sense.

What caliber are you planning to use? What bullet are you planning to use? What distances are you planning to shoot? If you know your estimated ballistics and are planning to dial more than 13.25 MOA of elevation, you can easily eliminate one of your stated choices.

How precise are you wanting your shots? 25 yards? 50 yards? 100 yards? Depending on your answer you can easily eliminate one of your stated choices.
I guess maybe I was a bit too specific by mentioning the 2 scope models that I'm trying to decide which to buy. For that matter any info. on the performance of one over the other of the scopes in the Swarovski Z5 series with the BT and the Leupold VX6 HD line with the CDS. The rifle the scopes are intended for is a custom 7-08 loaded with the 120 Barnes TTSX at around 3100 fps. For the most part I'm not a twister and the BT's would be used very little except in a hunting scenario. My thoughts are approximately 600 yds max as anything beyond that is out of my comfort zone.

My Z5 is the 3.5-18 and my VX6HD is 3-18.

Here is my view on the Z5:
  1. Pros
    1. Very lightweight
    2. Insane glass. Crystal clear.
    3. Edges out the VX6HD at very first and last light.
  2. Cons
    1. Limits you to 13.25 MOA of elevation.
    2. Pain in the butt to set the zero.
    3. Limited "known distance" settings. If you set your zero at 200, then you can "set" the knobs to identify 300, 400, 500 yards (if you went with 100 yard increments).
    4. Questionable on its toughness.
    5. Easy for turrets to "spin" while out and about.
Here is my view on the VX6-HD:
  1. Pros
    1. Lightweight
    2. Damn good glass. With the exception of very first and last light, it will go toe to toe with the Z5.
    3. CDS offers more precise shots than the Z5. Obviously this will require accurate info for the CDS.
    4. Plenty of elevation travel.
    5. Feels more robust.
    6. Lots of "add-ons" that are included. This includes aluminum flip-up covers and a magnification throw ring.
    7. Locking turret so you are less likely to have a turret "spin" while out and about.
  2. Cons
    1. Flip up covers tend to pop up when you don't want them to. (nitpick)
    2. The magnification throw ring tends to get caught up on clothing and move the magnification on you. (nitpick)
    3. Very expensive compared to the VX5HD; same glass in the two but about 2x the price.

Ballistic info for your load:
With a 200 yard zero, you can dial to about 690 yards before you will be maxed out with the Z5. Not sure what the minimum velocity is for reliable expansion, but your round will hit 1800 fps at about 650 yards. If you believe the 1000 ft-lbs of energy requirement for deer-sized game, your round will hit that about 570 yards. Under this scenario the Z5 will work. If in the future you change your round (ex: ELD-X), you will leave 100+ yards of effective deer killing distance on the table due to the limitation on the Z5. Your shooting and/or hunting conditions will change these values.

My Setups
Tikka T3X, 6.5 Creedmoor, Swaro Z5 (3.5-18 BT)
Tikka T3X, 300 Win Mag, Leupold VX6-HD CDS (3-18 Firedot)

The VX6-HD is easier and faster to dial than the Z5. I personally have not had any issues related to dialing with either scope.

For my needs, the VX6-HD beats the Z5. The Z5's 13.25 MOA limitation is too restrictive for most modern cartridges. The Z5 will be my first Swaro product that I will be getting rid of. I love my SLC 10s, SLC 15s, and my STX 65/95. I will be replacing my Z5 with a VX5-HD.

accumax

FNG
My Z5 is the 3.5-18 and my VX6HD is 3-18.

Here is my view on the Z5:
  1. Pros
    1. Very lightweight
    2. Insane glass. Crystal clear.
    3. Edges out the VX6HD at very first and last light.
  2. Cons
    1. Limits you to 13.25 MOA of elevation.
    2. Pain in the butt to set the zero.
    3. Limited "known distance" settings. If you set your zero at 200, then you can "set" the knobs to identify 300, 400, 500 yards (if you went with 100 yard increments).
    4. Questionable on its toughness.
    5. Easy for turrets to "spin" while out and about.
Here is my view on the VX6-HD:
  1. Pros
    1. Lightweight
    2. Damn good glass. With the exception of very first and last light, it will go toe to toe with the Z5.
    3. CDS offers more precise shots than the Z5. Obviously this will require accurate info for the CDS.
    4. Plenty of elevation travel.
    5. Feels more robust.
    6. Lots of "add-ons" that are included. This includes aluminum flip-up covers and a magnification throw ring.
    7. Locking turret so you are less likely to have a turret "spin" while out and about.
  2. Cons
    1. Flip up covers tend to pop up when you don't want them to. (nitpick)
    2. The magnification throw ring tends to get caught up on clothing and move the magnification on you. (nitpick)
    3. Very expensive compared to the VX5HD; same glass in the two but about 2x the price.
Ballistic info for your load:
With a 200 yard zero, you can dial to about 690 yards before you will be maxed out with the Z5. Not sure what the minimum velocity is for reliable expansion, but your round will hit 1800 fps at about 650 yards. If you believe the 1000 ft-lbs of energy requirement for deer-sized game, your round will hit that about 570 yards. Under this scenario the Z5 will work. If in the future you change your round (ex: ELD-X), you will leave 100+ yards of effective deer killing distance on the table due to the limitation on the Z5. Your shooting and/or hunting conditions will change these values.

My Setups
Tikka T3X, 6.5 Creedmoor, Swaro Z5 (3.5-18 BT)
Tikka T3X, 300 Win Mag, Leupold VX6-HD CDS (3-18 Firedot)

The VX6-HD is easier and faster to dial than the Z5. I personally have not had any issues related to dialing with either scope.

For my needs, the VX6-HD beats the Z5. The Z5's 13.25 MOA limitation is too restrictive for most modern cartridges. The Z5 will be my first Swaro product that I will be getting rid of. I love my SLC 10s, SLC 15s, and my STX 65/95. I will be replacing my Z5 with a VX5-HD.

Excellent review AZ_Hunter!

I have the same two scopes as you. The only thing I would add to your review is the Swarovski scope finish is more robust than the Leopuld. It seems like the Leupold finish shows scuffs etc very easily where the Swaro finish is super tough and does not need constant polishing to keep looking new.

Overall I think the Swaro has slightly better Clairity and is much lighter...but the Leupold has more MOA adjustment and better turrets. My Leupold also has the firedot reticle which is very nice for low light shots on dark skinned game. I love both scopes and wouldn't replace either of them. It's a toss up...

Ronb

WKR
So is Swaro the clear choice with the boone and crockett style reticle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

accumax

FNG
So is Swaro the clear choice with the boone and crockett style reticle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say its a better overall value if you just want to use your reticle for hold over on longer range shots. The Swarovski Z5 is...Much less $, slight edge in clarity and lighter weight than the VX-6

It would be a closer comparison to look at the VX-5HD with price and weight.

OneRingTrTa

Lil-Rokslider
For me it's a no brainer. I had to send my z5 5-25X52 back in twice during the two years I used it. The VX-6 4-24X52 I had had better glass and gave better colors. I used it for a year without a single problem.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a couple Z5s, and 3 VX5HDs and have set up a few VX6HD for buddies but having seen the value in paying almost double over the VX5. I agree with AZ Hunter on his whole review although I think their is maybe more of a gap in the glass quality giving the edge to the Z5. I'm constantly playing musical scopes on my rifles and I do not have enough scopes to put on my rifles and for hunting I have found myself using the VX5HD more and more often because leupold nailed it for hunters on the turret system.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have both scopes and I am very particular about my glass...

.The Z5 has SLIGHTLY better glass... Only really noticeable at first and last light. You will also notice it is a little bit clearer when on max zoom and you are dealing with shadows.

Something to consider or completely ignore too...

.I have both the VX-6 and VX-5... I would honestly, highly recommend the VX-5 if you don't mind stepping down to the 5x zoom increments. I can't tell a difference in the glass between my VX-5 and VX-6 and the VX-5 is much lighter and it's a way cheaper scope. I now own 2 VX-5's and I think I'm going to swap out my VX-6 for a VX-5 on my Cooper in .204 Ruger and bring it up to 3 VX-5's :cool:

.One more note and I'll shut up lol... I started my hunting life as a long range varmint hunter and any complaints about tracking or performance at long range with the Leupolds we've seen in the past have gone out the window. I've put down several squirrels, coyotes, and rabbits out past 1,200 yards with the VX-5 and VX-6.

i had tracking issues with a VX 6 2-12, as have many others. leupold replaced the erector system, whatever that fixes. Have heard a lot of guys get the same answer with the returns.
Until leupold gets away from leave springs and goes coil like every other high end serious scope I am done with them except for set and forget scopes.

So I would say go B and C with a Leupold.

I have the exact Z5 2.4-12 bt 4w. Love it, favorite scope next to my z6 2.5 to 16 44, go swaro and don’t look back unless you are shooting at crazy distances for hunting, 600 plus.

if you plan to lob bullets at animals from that far, I prefer to get as close as I can then shoot, I would go NF or SB in my opinion, I have owned them all, for me on hunting rigs the SWARO BT is tops for glass, weight and simple field dialing. I did change out to a straight mil non custom turret on my z6, will do the same on my z5 soon.

Spence