Switched dogs to raw diet...WOW

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
Another "raw diet" question for those more knowledgeable: How about fish & fish bones?

I do lengthy remote wilderness canoe trips and Walleye, Pike, Lake Trout and Smallmouth are on the menu regularly. I've fed her cooked fish, but am curious about raw fish and about the bones - both cooked and raw.

MDR

FNG
Not sure if I am more knowledgeable, but our dogs get fish spines, and tails. Haven't had an issue yet.

Typically pike, char, trout and whitefish.

Another "raw diet" question for those more knowledgeable: How about fish & fish bones?

I do lengthy remote wilderness canoe trips and Walleye, Pike, Lake Trout and Smallmouth are on the menu regularly. I've fed her cooked fish, but am curious about raw fish and about the bones - both cooked and raw.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR

I wouldn't worry about uncooked fish bones personally. Pretty soft and pliable. I would avoid cooking them unless you were boiling (further softening them)

Fish do tend to carry a shitload of parasites so a quick freeze-thaw cycle isn't a terrible idea when you're not on a wilderness trip.

Pacific salmon in particular carry a nasty little fluke that can cause "salmon poisoning", only effects canines.

You'll see a lot of sled dogs in AK that live exclusively on boiled, smoked, freeze dried salmon...bones and all